Full time and Divorce

Z

ZQXC

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Watch out for your pension and 401k! Give her the house the car, but not the pension!

He may not have any say in that matter. It will all depend upon the separation of marital assets but usually we end up losing 2% of our pension for every year that we were married while working at UPS. I will be losing 16% of my pension when I retire.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That is what both of my hubbys bikes are, single. If I want to ride, I have to learn how to "drive".
Our situations changed, and he does cooking all week, since hes home. Against his will, retired. I cook on the weekend, as I feel he deserves it, taking care of me all week. (but then again I dont know if anyone deserves my cooking) I do the laundry and shopping for the most part all of the laundry, and some of the shopping.
We have just worked it out. Yes I work more hours, but he does all the yard work, all the mechanical work, I have not had a repair bill on the house or the vehicles in years. all of the doggy day care, which I totally wish I could do. And anything else I ask him to do.
I totally love when he takes and afternoon to have lunch with a friend or go to the flea market when I cant go. We have gotten over the I do this, and you do that for the most part.
The harmony is much better when you care about the other persons happiness.
Truth right there.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
For the past year or so my wife and I have been having alot of issues and divorce has been brought up several times. It really got me thinking. We got married when I was part time. At that time I was del. sat air and working mowing grass during the day. She is an RN working 12hr shifts 3 days a week. So we were both working alot.

A couple of years go by and I go full time. Shes on my insurance and finds out she can go "part time" while getting an $8hr raise for dropping her insurance and paid time off. She starts to see how much money I am bringing in and looks for a new "part time" job at the hospital so now she basically picks her own schedule and works 3-4 8hr shifts.

For some reason is has bothered me that I work 50+ hrs a week and she only works 24-32. (I worked 1000 hours more than her last year) I feel that her share around the house is slacking and I never get to relax because of things that need to do around the house. Mind you we have no kids.

What it comes down to is that she will never understand what UPSers go through. The hours, weather, crazy drivers, physical labor, and the mental struggle can take a toll on a person and marriage.
I understand where you are coming from and I see this a lot. My first reaction is to tell you to man up, you are the bread winner and men take care of the family. However since you have no children that changes everything. I think it's fine she works part time hours but if she works less hours she should be taking care of just about every household chore. You need to explain this to her and if she can't understand then drop her. You will be much happier. Get you a nice apartment and bang a new chick every weekend. Do it for men everywhere who wish they still could lol.

UPSGUY72

He may not have any say in that matter. It will all depend upon the separation of marital assets but usually we end up losing 2% of our pension for every year that we were married while working at UPS. I will be losing 16% of my pension when I retire.

In mass she get half of your pension you earned while you where married. My soon to be ex will be getting just over $800 a month of my pension when I retire. I still gave at least 22 years to go before I can retire so she's going to be waiting a while.

UPSER110

Definitely got to learn how to relax and just let stuff roll off for real. What he doesn't realize is he has no kids, there is no stress besides this job and if you are going to let this job stress you out then he needs to let this job go. That's the thing after you do this job for a while, you just get the mentality like im not letting this job stress me out, its just a bad nightmare. Do what I do come home from work do your things and kick back with a frostee or burn 1 and just chill dude lol.

Haha I love your responses on here. The job doesn't stress me out, it stresses me out knowing I cant come home and relax because there is stuff that needs to be done.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In mass she get half of your pension you earned while you where married. My soon to be ex will be getting just over $800 a month of my pension when I retire. I still gave at least 22 years to go before I can retire so she's going to be waiting a while.
Not really. The OP is in a very short marriage, therefore the mediator, attorneys and/or court can not justify taking a full amount of pension years, while the majority of those years they were not married.

My ex got nothing, not a penny of pension or 401k. It's because the amount of money it would have cost her in legal fees and going through the courts, would have exceeded the measly amount she would have earned after retirement. And the contributions to my 401k were only about 5% earned while we were married.

All of the bank statements, 401k, pension, etc. were pulled and it worked in my favor.

UPSGUY72

Not really. The OP is in a very short marriage, therefore the mediator, attorneys and/or court can not justify taking a full amount of pension years, while the majority of those years they were not married.

My ex got nothing, not a penny of pension or 401k. It's because the amount of money it would have cost her in legal fees and going through the courts, would have exceeded the measly amount she would have earned after retirement. And the contributions to my 401k were only about 5% earned while we were married.

All of the bank statements, 401k, pension, etc. were pulled and it worked in my favor.

The law is mass is that the spouse is entitled to half your retirement accounts obtained during marriage unless you are able to come to some sort of other agreement.

You got lucky because it would have had to cost her anything all she would have had to do is tell the judge she wants her half of your pension obtained during the marriage and she would have gotten it.

rod

Retired 22 years

Dumb question------------does she still get that even if she remarries?

box_beeyotch

Does no one consider a prenuptial agreement these days?? I dont care who she is or how much you love her, if she doesn't want to sign that...then GTFO of my life.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does no one consider a prenuptial agreement these days?? I dont care who she is or how much you love her, if she doesn't want to sign that...then GTFO of my life.

Very few drivers that I know have the assets going in to a marriage to even consider a prenup.

Pensions and 401k's are covered by state laws and are not normally included in a prenup.

box_beeyotch

Very few drivers that I know have the assets going in to a marriage to even consider a prenup.

Pensions and 401k's are covered by state laws and are not normally included in a prenup.

What happens if she dies before the divorce is finalized? Do you get to retain 100 percent of your assets then?