Full time driving and 2nd jobs.

542thruNthru

Gotta keep your hours worked within the DOT regulations. 60 hrs per week (with at least 10 hrs off before starting a driving shift) which can be reset with 34 consecutive hours off, or 70 hrs on a rolling 8 day basis.

The 60/70 hours are driving hours. The main rule he will have to watch out for would be the 10 hours rest rule before he drives again.

Just like you can work more then 14hours in a shift you just can't drive till you have had 10 hours off.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I will soon have an opportunity to get on a package car full time I know many routes already from running ground as an air driver. I am also a medium sized row crop farmer, I could use the money to put back into my farm since the ag economy isn't so great right now. Does anyone else work a job or run a business on the side? How hard would it be to juggle both?
Tons of farmers by me. Mostly cattle but lots of guys do it

Brownslave688

Gotta keep your hours worked within the DOT regulations. 60 hrs per week (with at least 10 hrs off before starting a driving shift) which can be reset with 34 consecutive hours off, or 70 hrs on a rolling 8 day basis.

The 60/70 hours are driving hours. The main rule he will have to watch out for would be the 10 hours rest rule before he drives again.

Just like you can work more then 14hours in a shift you just can't drive till you have had 10 hours off.

But there’s no real way to prove it. There’s no records for the hours he works outside of ups being its farming.

We have a number of guys up at 4-5 every morning to farm. Don’t always have 10 off I’m sure.

Ky0311

But there’s no real way to prove it. There’s no records for the hours he works outside of ups being its farming.

We have a number of guys up at 4-5 every morning to farm. Don’t always have 10 off I’m sure.
That's what I'm saying. Honestly getting to work at 9am is NOT early, I dont understand how some of these guys are still late all the time. I dont think it would bother me to either stay out late, or get up at 4 or 5.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

I think it would only ever come up in the case of a serious accident. If someone were suing, their lawyers might look into the driver's activities outside of work. The DOT would probably investigate too.

Brownslave688

I think it would only ever come up in the case of a serious accident. If someone were suing, their lawyers might look into the driver's activities outside of work. The DOT would probably investigate too.
Yes but even then it would be extremely hard to prove outside of planting or harvest season for a row cropper

ACmoses

It is possible. I own a small business. But in my case its a bit different. As calls come in during the week I schedule them all for Saturday. I will work a full Saturday. Rest Sunday, back to ups on Monday. But I'm finally going to be purchasing a work truck and hiring an employee. And hopefully expanding beyond that. I just hired a marketing company to help me do just that.

Right now I make about the same working 1 Saturday as my whole weeks check at ups. If I can expand to hopefully have a few trucks and 4 to 5 employees. I'll be set.

I'd like to build a successful local company that I can leave to my kids.
That is awesome! May I ask what your business is? I would like to start a business that would allow me to possibly leave to my kids as well. It sounds like a great service.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
That is awesome! May I ask what your business is? I would like to start a business that would allow me to possibly leave to my kids as well. It sounds like a great service.
Sure, I started a hauling and demolition company. It was expensive to start. Getting licensed, bonded and insured. Getting clientele was also challenging in the beginning. It's a lot of work. I'm pretty much a ghost around my house. But I will take my 3 1/2 year old with me if I'm just doing gravel or top soil deliveries all day. She loves watching the tractor dump all the material into my dump trailer. When my son gets older I'll take him as well.

I look at it as sacrificing my time now to hopefully have the business running itself by next year or the year after. Then I can just work ups again and retire the day I get my paperwork. Or maybe earlier if the business goes well enough.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sure, I started a hauling and demolition company. It was expensive to start. Getting licensed, bonded and insured. Getting clientele was also challenging in the beginning. It's a lot of work. I'm pretty much a ghost around my house. But I will take my 3 1/2 year old with me if I'm just doing gravel or top soil deliveries all day. She loves watching the tractor dump all the material into my dump trailer. When my son gets older I'll take him as well.

I look at it as sacrificing my time now to hopefully have the business running itself by next year or the year after. Then I can just work ups again and retire the day I get my paperwork. Or maybe earlier if the business goes well enough.
We had a driver start a small excavating company with one dump truck and a back hoe. After about 5 years he was successful enough to quit UPS and grow his business more. Today he is probably one of the most successful guys in the area with a million dollar lake home and a winter home in Florida. His company mostly does road construction and pipeline work now. Go for it.

Ky0311

We had a driver start a small excavating company with one dump truck and a back hoe. After about 5 years he was successful enough to quit UPS and grow his business more. Today he is probably one of the most successful guys in the area with a million dollar lake home and a winter home in Florida. His company mostly does road construction and pipeline work now. Go for it.
I think in gonna give it a try. This peak will tell me a lot since harvest and driving will start overlapping. My goal is to only do this 10 years or so to pay off some of my land debt to where maybe I can get out and farm full time. I cant leave a family business for this nonsense. I like driving to but its just money thing.

I think in gonna give it a try. This peak will tell me a lot since harvest and driving will start overlapping. My goal is to only do this 10 years or so to pay off some of my land debt to where maybe I can get out and farm full time. I cant leave a family business for this nonsense. I like driving to but its just money thing.
What about health insurance and pension?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Funny you say that. I'm currently looking to purchase a 5 yard dump truck and mini excavator at the moment.