Full time driving and 2nd jobs.

barnyard

KTM rider
We had a driver in our center (woman) that farmed in addition to driving. She scheduled her vacations around when she hoped to plant, harvest, cut and bale hay (she also fed cow/calf pairs.)

Her husband helped a bit and her son did also. I am pretty sure that she needed to hire help with haying, but was able to plant and harvest on her own.

Before UPS, I milked cows (I was a herdsman at a family farm.) When I quit that, I row cropped with my brother in law and ran a small feedlot (we finished dairy steers in batches of 100.)

There is no way that I would do a UPS gig AND farm. There would be way too many days of coming home and working past midnight and then working all weekend. If I stayed on the farm, I would rent the land and buildings.

ACmoses

Sure, I started a hauling and demolition company. It was expensive to start. Getting licensed, bonded and insured. Getting clientele was also challenging in the beginning. It's a lot of work. I'm pretty much a ghost around my house. But I will take my 3 1/2 year old with me if I'm just doing gravel or top soil deliveries all day. She loves watching the tractor dump all the material into my dump trailer. When my son gets older I'll take him as well.

I look at it as sacrificing my time now to hopefully have the business running itself by next year or the year after. Then I can just work ups again and retire the day I get my paperwork. Or maybe earlier if the business goes well enough.
Thanks for your reply. You sound very driven. I respect your work ethic. So do you own a backhoe and dump truck? Does your demolition include old buildings and such? Thanks...

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Thanks for your reply. You sound very driven. I respect your work ethic. So do you own a backhoe and dump truck? Does your demolition include old buildings and such? Thanks...
So I actually just landed a contract to do demolition and hauling for a construction company that does fire/water damage restoration.

I'm really stoked.

But I plan on getting my own skid steer or mini excavator to be able to demolish structures or driveways. But I also demo walls and kitchens and such.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
4962AF5F-6A89-475E-B8A0-C26336B3E043.png
Altar boy?

BrownSnowFlake

We have a couple guys with farms or businesses on the preload. IMHO UPS is gonna jerk you around too much the first year or two in terms of scheduling. I signed a bid for full time driving in February, went to school in June, and as of mid-August I’m only on day 18 of my qualifying packet.

Consider getting on the preload (AM) or local sort (PM) first. Even working part time you can get that good insurance for your family and a little bit of cash. Then you can try moving into air driving or full-time driving.

If you live near a big sorting hub you may have inside shifts available around the clock. Not as lucrative as driving but working doubles can get you some overtime.