Full-time Wage Progression (Art. 41 Sec. 2): Discuss

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Why I believe full time wage progression should be rolled back to 2 years, max., or at least remain as is, not increased: I believe wage progression tiers belong in skilled trade unions (in no way do I mean to belittle the skill set of our full-timers) such as mechanics, machinists, electricians, plumbers, etc. I believe those jobs have a learning curve associated with them which would rate such tiers. As the apprentice masters more skills and gains knowledge, acquires tools, there will be an accompanying increase in production that warrants such progression until they have become masters or journeyman of their trade. It's my contention that UPS pretty much demands you to have mastered necessary skills & knowledge before even letting you try to qualify for full-time, let alone granting you seniority. In other words, they expect 100% production while starting you out at just over 50% pay (currently). Besides the fact you generally start out covering routes, not on your own route (which EDD is supposed to make up for, right?) how long do think it realistically takes to become proficient enough to at least make scratch on a reasonably dispatched and loaded package car (or master whatever other full-time classification you're going into). Would y'all say after 12, 18, 24, xx months you've pretty much got it down?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Well, I know that after driving for 2 years I thought I knew it all, but looking back now I know I was a much better driver after 10 years, and an even better driver than that after 15. Maybe that's just me though.

But I do take your point that UPS's expectation is that you be a perfect service provider after 30 days, so why should they wait 3 years to pay you like one?