FULL TIMERS still in PROGRESSION with seniority date by Aug 1st! Did you file your grievance!?!

geterdone

Soo just gonna throw this out there. Got a co worker that his seniority date is before August 1st 2018. He was at 21$ before August 1st 2019 and so he got his .75 GWI raise and he just told me today that he got giant progression raise sometime after his .75 raise and is now at 23.75 not 23.00

Rjfitzy

Soo just gonna throw this out there. Got a co worker that his seniority date is before August 1st 2018. He was at 21$ before August 1st 2019 and so he got his .75 GWI raise and he just told me today that he got giant progression raise sometime after his .75 raise and is now at 23.75 not 23.00
Not likely... if his senority date was before 8/1/18, that means he was in his 2nd year of progression before contract took effect. Therefore, should've been at 23 before the gwi was implemented. Seriously doubt he got the gwi first.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Not likely... if his senority date was before 8/1/18, that means he was in his 2nd year of progression before contract took effect. Therefore, should've been at 23 before the gwi was implemented. Seriously doubt he got the gwi first.
August 1st i started making 23.75. My seniority date is the 13th of this month so we will see if the .75 gwi stays.

Dumbo

A guy I work with just recently hit his 2 year anniversary and it went from 23.75 to 24. Yet a guy who had his 2 year a few months ago is at 24.75.

upschuck

A guy I work with just recently hit his 2 year anniversary and it went from 23.75 to 24. Yet a guy who had his 2 year a few months ago is at 24.75.
Because the higher guy's seniority date is before Aug 1 when the gwi kicks in. Exactly what the contract states.

Dumbo

Yeah but they both are full time employees in progression at the start of the contract August 2018 so it says they should receive the "above contractual raises".

What's the difference of a couple months this year when both were already working the same progression at the same rates after August 2018?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yeah but they both are full time employees in progression at the start of the contract August 2018 so it says they should receive the "above contractual raises".

What's the difference of a couple months this year when both were already working the same progression at the same rates after August 2018?

This is a perfect example of why I believe that interpretation of that language is wrong. But, UPS is free to give extra money to whomever they like...

upschuck

Big difference between before Aug 1 and after Aug 1. One is progression raise then gwi, the other gwi, then progression raise. The progression raise, raises it to a set amount.

Ex.
July 31 seniority date
July 30 making 23
July 31. ---$24. (Progression)
Aug 1 -------24.75. (Gwi)

Aug 2 seniority date
July 31.----- $23
Aug 1----------$23.75 (gwi)
Aug 2 ----------$24. (Progression)

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Maybe "they" should've pushed the issue earlier... Honestly, the "interpretation of the contract" theory is a crock of :censored2:. Plain English...

*TLDR* - the language in this section of the contract is poorly written, which is a result of adding on/subtracting select language, rather than rewriting the whole section for clarification

*Whole Text*
What would the people who are being left out, or not benefitting as much, hope to gain by "pushing the issue". The best they could hope for is to bring everyone down to their level, which would be fair, but you don't force the company to pay anyone less than the they are willing to.

As for contract language and interpretation, clearly written language is important to prevent challenges to the contract. Contracts often cover complicated situations, and sometimes the clearest way to communicate the intent of the two parties involved is still very complex. Interpreting language requires identifying what language applies to whatever challenge is being made, and then establishing tests based on the terms. Whichever interpretation best satisfies the tests and does not contradict other terms of the contract is deemed the correct interpretation.

In one of my previous posts I offer an interpretation that satisfies the language without contradiction, benefits all people it affects fairly and evenly, and is consistent with precedent. The company has chosen to pay certain people more than they are required to by the contract, and there is no language preventing this. You could possibly argue that it creates an unequal benefit among people who should be on equal footing, but the result of that would likely be that the company would stop paying the extra to the few, rather than paying everyone involved extra.

Another example of this type of behvior from the company is the centers that were paying part timers an attendance bonus that put them well ahead, in compensation, of more senior part timers who were not receiving the bonus. The contract does not prevent the company from doing that, but it is still a really :censored2:ty thing to do to the more senior employees.