Funeral leave

35years

Gravy route
Section 2. Funeral Leave In the event of a death of a member of the employee’s family, a seniority employee shall be allowed a reasonable time off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite. Members of the employee’s family means spouse, child, or step-child, grandchild, father, mother, brother, sister, grandparents, mother-inlaw and father-in-law and step-parents. A regular full-time employee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off to be taken between the day of death and two (2) working days following the funeral provided the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite. In cases involving the funeral of a relative listed in paragraph 2 above, an employee who attends the funeral or bereavement rite is guaranteed a minimum of two (2) days off. An employee shall be allowed one (1) day off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite of a sister-in-law, spouse’s grandparent or a brother-in-law. Reimbursement for this day shall be the same as provided below. Time off shall not extend beyond the day of the funeral unless an MASTER - 13 - additional day is required for travel, except as provided above. In no event will total compensated time off exceed four (4) scheduled work days. The employee will be reimbursed at eight (8) times the employee’s straight-time hourly rate for each day lost from work for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is five (5) days, and ten (10) times the straight-time hourly rate for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is four (4) days. Parttime employees will receive the same benefits as above, paid at four (4) times the employee’s hourly rate. Better conditions contained in Supplements, Riders or Addenda will be maintained by present employees. All employees hired after July 2, 1982 will be covered by the above language

Can someone please clarify...
1. Say my Mother in law dies. I get 2 paid days off from the time of death to 2 days after the funeral.
2. I also get another paid day off if I attend the funeral? What if it is on a Saturday?
3. I get an additional paid day off to attend the funeral if I have to travel? What distance is considered traveling? Most of my relatives are between 1 ind 3 hours away, some are farther. So 4 paid days off total between death and 2 days after the funeral?
4. 4 paid days total for close relative, how many less days for sister in law?

35years

Gravy route
Also I was hired before July 2, 1982 so is there additional language (paid days) grandfathered in for us old timers?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Can someone please clarify...
1. Say my Mother in law dies. I get 2 paid days off from the time of death to 2 days after the funeral.
2. I also get another paid day off if I attend the funeral? What if it is on a Saturday?
3. I get an additional paid day off to attend the funeral if I have to travel? What distance is considered traveling? Most of my relatives are between 1 ind 3 hours away, some are farther. So 4 paid days off total between death and 2 days after the funeral?
4. 4 paid days total for close relative, how many less days for sister in law?

Funeral pay is meant to compensate you for lost time working.

It's not meant to be a windfall.

Compensated days, are only your scheduled work days.

So outside of that, is not compensable. An additional travel day is over 400 miles.

Section 2. Funeral Leave In the event of a death of a member of the employee’s family, a seniority employee shall be allowed a reasonable time off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite. Members of the employee’s family means spouse, child, or step-child, grandchild, father, mother, brother, sister, grandparents, mother-inlaw and father-in-law and step-parents. A regular full-time employee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off to be taken between the day of death and two (2) working days following the funeral provided the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite. In cases involving the funeral of a relative listed in paragraph 2 above, an employee who attends the funeral or bereavement rite is guaranteed a minimum of two (2) days off. An employee shall be allowed one (1) day off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite of a sister-in-law, spouse’s grandparent or a brother-in-law. Reimbursement for this day shall be the same as provided below. Time off shall not extend beyond the day of the funeral unless an MASTER - 13 - additional day is required for travel, except as provided above. In no event will total compensated time off exceed four (4) scheduled work days. The employee will be reimbursed at eight (8) times the employee’s straight-time hourly rate for each day lost from work for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is five (5) days, and ten (10) times the straight-time hourly rate for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is four (4) days. Parttime employees will receive the same benefits as above, paid at four (4) times the employee’s hourly rate. Better conditions contained in Supplements, Riders or Addenda will be maintained by present employees. All employees hired after July 2, 1982 will be covered by the above language

That language was negotiated in 1982 when Jackie Presser was President.

Prior to that, it was (and still is) 4 days for a pre-1982 member.

-Bug-

35years

Gravy route

So outside of that, is not compensable. An additional travel day is over 400 miles.

-Bug-
Thanks.
A driver I know took 4 days off.
They only paid him for 2.
On top of dealing with loosing his dad, he has to deal with this!
So is he compensated for the 4th day if it was under 400 miles?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Thanks.
A driver I know took 4 days off.
They only paid him for 2.
On top of dealing with loosing his dad, he has to deal with this!
So is he compensated for the 4th day if it was under 400 miles?

Taking time off has never been the problem.

It's just how much pay.... you are entitled to.

oldngray

nowhere special

-Bug-

Maybe in your local. I was pre 1982 and it was never more than 3 days. It was 2 days with 1 more possible travel day.

35years

Gravy route
You been here since 82 and this is the first time you are using funeral leave ?
Nope.
But when I lost my dad as a young driver I had a lot to deal with and just trusted management.

That was a mistake. Looking back I took only 1 day off. When you are grieving pay and time off is not the biggest concern.

I just think it is deplorable that they pull this stuff in this situation. Like I said the current situation is a fellow driver who took 4 days (Tuessday to Friday) to travel out of state and they told him he only gets paid for 2 days. Heartless basdtards.

rod

Retired 22 years
When both my mom and dad died they told me to take off as much time as I needed--no questions asked. If I remember correct I took off about 4 days for my mom and about a week and a half for my dad because we had a lot of loose ends with the estate that needed taken care of and my brothers put me in charge. I can't remember how much of it was paid--at the time it didn't really matter.

oldngray

nowhere special
When both my mom and dad died they told me to take off as much time as I needed--no questions asked. If I remember correct I took off about 4 days for my mom and about a week and a half for my dad because we had a lot of loose ends with the estate that needed taken care of and my brothers put me in charge. I can't remember how much of it was paid--at the time it didn't really matter.
UPS used to be good about letting you take off extra (unpaid) time if you needed it. Its a different company now.

35years

Gravy route
Yep
Next time I just want to know ahead of time how many days are covered.

So including the funeral... 3 days for the closer relatives, 2 for the brother/sister in law (or wife's grandparent). And an extra day for traveling over 400 miles.

Thanks for all the replies.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Not my words, just the prevailing thought.

People try and abuse it. That's why they can ask for documentation.

I mean.... how many times can your grandmother pass away ?
And make sure you give them an obituary because we are not to be trusted...we lie about people dying, LOL>