Funny thing happened today

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Last week, I asked our IE guy and resident EDD guru, when we were getting "the lunch software." His response was, "What's that?" I proceeded to enlighten him about all the lawsuit and how some centers have said software.

Today, oms message comes in and reads "Attention all drivers. From now on you must "code out" some time for lunch each day." I responded, "I must take some time for lunch or code some time for lunch?" I got no response. Kinda funny that they worded it like that. I've got a feeling someone is gonna work through, code a lunch and then get canned for stealing time, even though for years they've been stealing time from us. Looks like the good news made it our way.:thumbup1: Now, if they'll only plan me to take "some time" for lunch.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Last week, I asked our IE guy and resident EDD guru, when we were getting "the lunch software." His response was, "What's that?" I proceeded to enlighten him about all the lawsuit and how some centers have said software.

Today, oms message comes in and reads "Attention all drivers. From now on you must "code out" some time for lunch each day." I responded, "I must take some time for lunch or code some time for lunch?" I got no response. Kinda funny that they worded it like that. I've got a feeling someone is gonna work through, code a lunch and then get canned for stealing time, even though for years they've been stealing time from us. Looks like the good news made it our way.:thumbup1: Now, if they'll only plan me to take "some time" for lunch.
We had a pcm this week explaining that if we didnt put in our 10 minute paid break we would lose 17 clicks off of our dispatch. I asked if we didnt would we get paid, and their argument was that we would lose routes is 60 drivers didnt account for their paid break. Again i asked if we get an extra 10 mins at the end of my day and the manager said yes but dont you care about the routes being in? I replyed sure but not at 10 minutes a day, 50 minutes a week close to $40 in my pocket, plus the double time you pay me for going over 9.5. Now ie is taking dispatch time away from us, again ups screwing ups and again its the drivers fault.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I now take my full lunch mid-day. Now I can't finish my deliveries before I start my pickups. So I go back out and finish my deliveries after pickups. Adds about 3 miles to my dispatch, thus making me more bonus. thanks for the raise!

Cementups

Box Monkey
I haven't coded out my lunch or 10 minute break in about 3 years or so. My numbers still come in scratch so I gues they don't say anything to me about it.

surviv'n_it

We are told we have to take our lunches now. They actually said we have to take at least some of it, even if only 5 minutes. We get paid for the whatever we dont take so I just take 5 minutes sometime during the day and run the rest. I do take my 2 break times though, usually at the end of the day.

browniehound

We are told we have to take our lunches now. They actually said we have to take at least some of it, even if only 5 minutes. We get paid for the whatever we dont take so I just take 5 minutes sometime during the day and run the rest. I do take my 2 break times though, usually at the end of the day.

Surviv'n,
What part of the country do you work? Your lunch policy is the way it should be throughout the company. I think if they are requiring us to record our lunch time in the DIAD then they should deduct what we take and no more or no less. Where I work they dock us 1 hour no matter if we take an hour or not.

What I want answered is why is this allowed? I'm not going to call this that the company is stealing time from us(they are getting free labor in many cases however), because its the drivers fault if he doesn't take his lunch. But I think its ridiculous that they force us to take 1 hour lunch. I only need 20 minutes. Someone else may need 35. If we record our time under break and lunch then we should be docked that amount. Who the heck wants to sit in their package car in January when it -35 degrees with the wind chill factor for 1 full hour?

This is a 2008 contract wish for me. Get rid of the forced 1 hour lunch:thumbup1:

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
"Get rid of the forced 1 hour lunch"

Good post, Hound. I also work where we HAVE to take our 1 hour lunch.

However, I feel if we were to lose this from the contract, UPS would pervert it to mean we'd get more work (instead of getting done earlier). UPS would cut more routes and lay off drivers.

We know how they are...

browniehound

"Get rid of the forced 1 hour lunch"

Good post, Hound. I also work where we HAVE to take our 1 hour lunch.

However, I feel if we were to lose this from the contract, UPS would pervert it to mean we'd get more work (instead of getting done earlier). UPS would cut more routes and lay off drivers.

We know how they are...

Ya know Over95, I didn't even think of that! How could I not, this is what UPS is famous for giving more work with less people and expecting it to be done in less time. I still think UPS would try to keep us under 10 hours when possible.

At the same time, in most cases I will welcome the OT. My problem with the OT is the time at which 10 hours of work ends. With an 830 start 10 hours is 730 with our "forced hour lunch". By the time I get home and washed up, I'm eating dinner at 830. I'd be happy working 12 hours a day if we could start 630 am (Fed-ex ground does it why can't we?) and be finished at 700 pm. I don't mind the hours, its the hour that I finish at is what bothers me. Getting rid of the 1 hour lunch would help all of us get home earlier.

upsgrunt

For the past two weeks we get a message everyday on the diad to make sure we take a lunch and break and record it accurately in the diad. We only get docked for the amount of time we show, but our pcm's continuely stress to record as break every time we 1) go the bathroom, 2) get a drink, or 3) are doing anything that is not "official UPS work". It seems the California thing has the whole country scared of the implications.

browniehound

For the past two weeks we get a message everyday on the diad to make sure we take a lunch and break and record it accurately in the diad. We only get docked for the amount of time we show, but our pcm's continuely stress to record as break every time we 1) go the bathroom, 2) get a drink, or 3) are doing anything that is not "official UPS work". It seems the California thing has the whole country scared of the implications.

That is absurd. UPS should pay you everytime you need to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water. In fact, when they do time studies your allowed to go to the bathroom as many times as you need to. Anything else you do that is not work related should be done on break time.

DS

Fenderbender
Where I am it varies as new management comes and goes as to whether to allow code 05`s(pay actual) Our newest DM has outlawed them altogether,so if you have too much work
and can`t get your break during the day,there`s no other option but to call for help.
Its fine with me,I`d rather get my break.it was always so demeaning to call and request a code 05 only to be grilled...
how many stops have you done...how many left...how many
businessess...how many resis.There were times when I said
OK I changed my mind about the code 05,just send someone
to take 25 business off me or they`ll be missed.
I hate getting home at 8:30 every night too,and I agree if
they staggered the shifts,the early AM guys should take some resis to do after thier EAM attempts,another group could start
around 8:30,and the last group should be the lower seniority hires that are covering all the late oncalls and Letter boxes.
Then everyone could get thier lunch.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ya know Over95, I didn't even think of that! How could I not, this is what UPS is famous for giving more work with less people and expecting it to be done in less time. I still think UPS would try to keep us under 10 hours when possible.

At the same time, in most cases I will welcome the OT. My problem with the OT is the time at which 10 hours of work ends. With an 830 start 10 hours is 730 with our "forced hour lunch". By the time I get home and washed up, I'm eating dinner at 830. I'd be happy working 12 hours a day if we could start 630 am (Fed-ex ground does it why can't we?) and be finished at 700 pm. I don't mind the hours, its the hour that I finish at is what bothers me. Getting rid of the 1 hour lunch would help all of us get home earlier.

Excellent point, I dont mind working 10 either, its just when ten is over as late as we start, its drive home, shower, eat and go to sleep. Thats the part that really sucks. Our start time is 910, totally ridiculous.

brown bomber

brown bomber
what's a time study ?? it apparently ceased to exist around my part of the country...I've had one time study in the 12 yrs. I've been on my route

Ms Spoken

what's a time study ?? it apparently ceased to exist around my part of the country...I've had one time study in the 12 yrs. I've been on my route

Our center is going through a time study now. Just the other week I had my ride and man my customers hit me hard at P/U time. :lol:
It was a long day and my feet had two blisters from all the extra walking we had to do. But, if that is what it takes just to save my route then that is what was done. It's always wonderful when you have a time study and can get your customers to work with you. For the record I a COD stop that was planned and the customer couldn't find his check and then when he did he had me to fill it out. But, all that I listed above is normal for him because he never fills out his Money Orders. So it was nice to have that stop on my study day. For the record I really don't look to gain much time but, I sure don't want to loose any.

Philosophical 1

I don't know what exactly is going on, but whatever it is I don't get the feeling that it is being driven by Big Brown. It's a reaction to something external that has created this new issue with lunches and breaks. Each state law is different regarding lunches and breaks and when there is no applicable state law, contract language prevails. UPS allows us state minimums and up to an hour, if necessary. It is our own fault if we have allowed management to manipulate us into believing otherwise. Do your job, take a break to re-energize yourself, finish your work, and go home to your family. Sounds simple enough--I've never had a problem with it. Never missed a business delivery, never missed a pick up. Time management and integrity go a long way.

over9five

Staff member
Don't look for a time study. It won't help.

My whole center was recently time studied, and what was the result?

As a center, we came out dead even.
As a center, we gained ZERO time.

It's all BS.