Future of Unions?

reginald95

In my building twilight sort I always see supervisors working unloading trucks. When I bring this up to the par timers they always say "I don't care man I just want to get out of here as fast as I can."

HBGPreloader

That is 100 percent the problem. Wrong mentality and sadly the mentality of my whole generation.
Sadly, this attitude spans generations at our hub.
Most of the part-timers, myself included, are always looking to get sent home early. I do have a career outside of UPS though.
And, the full-timers - many former drivers - just want to work their 8 hours and coast towards retirement.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
it's not going to get better until things get much worse. there are way too many people that would rather tear down their neighbor than see him brought up to their level. that competitive mentality that says "well i'm making more than minimum wage why raise it, then i'll be at the same level as people at the bottom". "middle class" used as a euphemism for working class, as if working class is something to be ashamed of.

Ron Carey lives on

Unions have many enemies, RTW politicians, Corporate Greed and just for lack of a better words the " me generation". So many young workers with no since of history. A union resurgence depends on enthusiastic, selfless, brave and charismatic new leaders willing to fight

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

Personally speaking as a 3rd generation union worker. Collective Bargaining is only second to our faith. My nieces, my uncles,cousins, sister and my children know how blessed we all are to have union wages bring all of us into the middle class. I know personally that Union families are great Americans and contribute so much to the American Dream

Sent using BrownCafe App

box_beeyotch

Personally speaking as a 3rd generation union worker. Collective Bargaining is only second to our faith. My nieces, my uncles,cousins, sister and my children know how blessed we all are to have union wages bring all of us into the middle class. I know personally that Union families are great Americans and contribute so much to the American Dream

Sent using BrownCafe App

Union workers were once the definition of the American dream.

Box Ox

In my building twilight sort I always see supervisors working unloading trucks. When I bring this up to the par timers they always say "I don't care man I just want to get out of here as fast as I can."

I imagine at my center part timers would be more eager to work if the box/item weight limit hadn't been raised to 150 pounds in recent years. Nobody wants to stick around for an end to end bulk stop of 100+ pounders while the belt is raining on all of their cars.

EmraldArcher

UPS is making very calculated moves in collective bargaining and investments in technology with the ultimate goal of breaking the union.

Orion is the most obvious example of this, the optimum implementation of the system will take enough human dependence out of the system that anyone with minimal training can complete a route. Once enough dependence on route knowledge, decision making etc. is taken out of the system, UPS will be able to handle a strike much more easily.

It's not robots we have to worry about taking our job, it's people with rudimentary training relying on technology.

Browntown2014

UPS is making very calculated moves in collective bargaining and investments in technology with the ultimate goal of breaking the union.

Orion is the most obvious example of this, the optimum implementation of the system will take enough human dependence out of the system that anyone with minimal training can complete a route. Once enough dependence on route knowledge, decision making etc. is taken out of the system, UPS will be able to handle a strike much more easily.

It's not robots we have to worry about taking our job, it's people with rudimentary training relying on technology.

Orion makes it harder for a new driver to run a route not easier.