Future of Unions?

bbsam

Staff member
I am a Business Agent and Organizer with Local 896. I will do everything in my power to organize and educate every worker whether organized or not
Honest question: are you actively organizing fast food workers etc.?

D

Deleted

Honest question: are you actively organizing fast food workers etc.?
I am not. I work organizing industries that the Teamsters have always been involved in like freight, logistics etc. I do help fast food workers in advising them labor laws that protect them even if they are not unionized

D

Deleted

RTW is increasing in part due to the negative perception many people have of labor unions, public or private.
That's why it is important for all union members to help spread the message of organized labor. Unions goal should be to protect all workers and help them attain a better quality of life

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's why it is important for all union members to help spread the message of organized labor. Unions goal should be to protect all workers and help them attain a better quality of life

Truth be told, if I were a part timer not working in a closed shop, I would decline union membership.

D

Deleted

Truth be told, if I were a part timer not working in a closed shop, I would decline union membership.
Before becoming a Teamster, I worked for a few Companies that treated their workers with dignity and respect. But unfortunately not all Companies are the same. When people ask my opinion about Unions, I make sure to tell them the truth. If someone works at a Company that pays them competitive wages and benefits along with a good work environment then why unionize. But if you have to fight them for a raise, have unsafe work conditions and they offer expensive medical, time to go union.

D

Deleted

At least once or twice a year, I will apply and work part time undercover for different stores and companies. What I have experienced is fluctuating hours. If you don't or won't kiss butt, don't expect anything over 20 hours a week. I've also witnessed companies not allowing employees to take breaks and lunches or not paying overtime.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What sense would it make for a kid working at UPS part time while going to school to join the union?

While I've got you here----how do you feel about those locals that charge seasonal workers an initiation fee and/or have them pay dues, knowing full well that they have no chance of being kept on after Peak?

D

Deleted

What sense would it make for a kid working at UPS part time while going to school to join the union?

While I've got you here----how do you feel about those locals that charge seasonal workers an initiation fee and/or have them pay dues, knowing full well that they have no chance of being kept on after Peak?
Here's what happens to mostly all of us. We are young and start working part time while attending school and never thinking about our future. Our plan is to work for a company a few year. The thought is "I'll work at UPS for a few year while I attend school." But then we start making expensive purchases, get our girlfriends pregnant etc. Before we know it, we've been at UPS for ten years and it now became a career. Getting part timers involved in paying dues helps fund arbitrations, medical trust funds, the union General fund and more. If the part timer ever leaves and then joins another Teamsters Local, as long as he filled a withdrawal card, he never has to pay initiation fees ever again

D

Deleted

As far as seasonals, maybe some of that language may be outdated. If no one complains during contract proposal time, the practice will continue.

By The Book

So he can vote, of course. All those fees and dues helps keep everything a float.

PT Car Washer

Most PTers join the Union the first time they have a pay issue or a disciplinary issue. They quickly learn the value of just making a phone call and having the issue resolved. Most Managers and FT sups respect a Union member more then a non member. PT sups don't even know the difference.

The Grunt

As far as union workers getting a bad name, I would have to say 95 % of the people I manage will go through a brick wall for you if you show them and treat them with respect. 5 % of workers I manage only have their jobs because they have a union backing them up. I was UFCW for 6 years growing up and I would be fighting right to work laws if I was still a union member. One thing I do see lacking also which I was surprised about it older union members not mentoring younger union members on the ins and outs...