FXG, let the revolving door spin faster!

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
So one BC from another van line says that drivers are a dime a dozen...

giphy.gif

Yet, we can't retain drivers for our 7 day operation because after a few days, they see that the compensation does not match the effort for some service areas that takes 40 minutes to an hour for the first stop from the building.

Sums it up for prospective FXG drivers to at least go with FXE or something else that pay hourly.

Sure doesn't help that I highlight some scams in the system like not being paid to sort/load , or drive to the first stop or dead head back to the terminal to unload your pickups and driver exceptions.

PS, if one has a cdl, divert them to linehaul & not waste time training them for package delivery. They'll quickly see that mistake & will move on faster anyways.

I'll stay to keep the line in check and performing rescues to those newer drivers, but I'll also remind them it's just a weekly paycheck.

When the nit picking gets to a point where I get FedUp, I'll also move on.

But now I'm getting paid more for doing less than my previous rural route, so it's just supplemental income for me

Yeah, some drivers like that independence once they're out on route, so they already know what they're into.

New faces monthly now
tenor.gif

AB831

I think he needs to see a video of Fat Freddy telling him how privileged he is to wear the uniform (that wasn’t provided to him) of the greatest company in the world.

bacha29

Obviously Orion has just returned from his first trip to the Fedex Mind Control And Reeducation Academy because nothing he's saying here makes any sense. He'll be back to normal whatever normal is for him by the end of next week.
We've told him again and again to get the hell out of there and quit allowing himself to be so badly used.

The more value Fat Freddy tries to get from a business model and delivery network that right from the beginning has clear and obvious limitations the more defined and egregious those limitations become. And they were staring him right in his face last peak season but what did you do about it? Absolutely nothing. Instead he continues to demand even more from it.

If he ends up killing Cock Robin it's on him not people like Orion who stopped at nothing in an effort to hold the thing together for as long as they could.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If he ends up killing Cock Robin it's on him not people like Orion who stopped at nothing in an effort to hold the thing together for as long as they could.
Kinda' like you know the dam is gonna' break but all they'll give you to fix it is duct tape.

Last edited:

It will be fine

Kinda' like you know the dam is gonna' break but all they'll give to fix it is duct tape.
What’s more likely? The “dam” breaks and fedex goes bankrupt and shuts down. Or, there are small marginal changes that keep up with economic trends keeping just enough employees around to get the work done.

Cactus

What’s more likely? The “dam” breaks and fedex goes bankrupt and shuts down. Or, there are small marginal changes that keep up with economic trends keeping just enough employees around to get the work done.
Tell that to the Oak Park Michigan terminal, not me.

bacha29

Kinda' like you know the dam is gonna' break but all they'll give you to fix it is duct tape.
It's a company that is setting itself up to go from a company that was once designed to experience limited and manageable turnover to high turnover and at a time when it needs even more people to handle massive increases in volume. All this at a time when birth rates are clearly slowing.

While it's not going to happen today and it's not likely to happen tomorrow there will indeed come a time when there will be an increase in the number of markets whose pool of cheap labor has shrunk to the point where they simply cannot keep up the demand .

Sure, for the time being Ground will still have their mercenary"contingency" contractors driving around the country in trucks loaded with guys they plucked off the street in a manner consistent with the South Korean army, putting out terminal volume fires. It is a practice whose effectiveness will again be tested this coming peak.

Cactus

That would be a terminal that is behind and shippers keep sending packages through it, not exactly a collapse of the company.
And not exactly a healthy situation either. What really has the company done to get that location caught up? Besides buying more weather tarps.

AB831

FedEx doesn’t make small, marginal changes. They do nothing until there is a crisis and then make sweeping, reactive changes in a futile effort to control the damage. Is Oak Park a microcosm of the entire system? Probably not. However, my Express station has so many openings that they’re begging us to try to get our friends hired. So far, it appears they’ve filled zero. Come peak season, we will undoubtedly have tarps covering up our mountain of undelivered freight. I kind of doubt my station is the only one in this boat.

bacha29

FedEx doesn’t make small, marginal changes. They do nothing until there is a crisis and then make sweeping, reactive changes in a futile effort to control the damage. Is Oak Park a microcosm of the entire system? Probably not. However, my Express station has so many openings that they’re begging us to try to get our friends hired. So far, it appears they’ve filled zero. Come peak season, we will undoubtedly have tarps covering up our mountain of undelivered freight. I kind of doubt my station is the only one in this boat.
The style of management you speak of is called "desperation management".When the situation gets desperate enough they'll try to do something to correct the situation but not before then and it will be akin to throwing a 25 foot rope to a guy drowning 50 feet off shore.

In the meantime try to remain focused on your core responsibilities while redoubling your efforts to get to a better place while never losing sight of the fact that at Fat Freddy Inc, stop gap measures often become permanent solutions......So never allow yourself to become caught in a position where you become the stop gap measure.........Don't become another Orion.

It will be fine

What sweeping reactive changes have been made since you’ve worked there? I don’t think you really understand the situation.

McFeely

Huge Member
How do shippers choose the terminal their freight goes through?

I mean, if a shipper is getting complaints about the delivery service in zip 48237, then they likely choose another shipper for future deliveries in that zip or even that entire state. UPS would gladly take it on.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I mean, if a shipper is getting complaints about the delivery service in zip 48237, then they likely choose another shipper for future deliveries in that zip or even that entire state. UPS would gladly take it on.
Then they’re choosing another shipper, not the terminal.

McFeely

Huge Member
Then they’re choosing another shipper, not the terminal.

They're avoiding that terminal by using another shipper. Don't know what kind of answer you're shooting for, but the fact is that shippers are STILL shipping Ground packages to that zip code/terminal. I know if I lived there, I'd be complaining to every shipper that used FXG to demand some sort of compensation for delayed packages. If people aren't doing that, shippers won't change their behavior. :shrugs: