Gas Cards

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
At our PCM this morning our on-road gave all of us gas cards. We have gas pumps at our center, and the only cards ever given out to anyone were for the deisel cars. The cards given out today were for all the pkg cars in the building. Is this a trend? Are all centers going to be fueling at gas stations? It seems to me that being such a large corporation, UPS would get some sort of discount on fuel. Anyone hear anything about this?

Big Babooba

At our PCM this morning our on-road gave all of us gas cards. We have gas pumps at our center, and the only cards ever given out to anyone were for the deisel cars. The cards given out today were for all the pkg cars in the building. Is this a trend? Are all centers going to be fueling at gas stations? It seems to me that being such a large corporation, UPS would get some sort of discount on fuel. Anyone hear anything about this?
Maybe they're planning on doing some repairs. We got gas cards when our diesel pumps went down. When they were back up and running, we turned them in.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have fuel cards but that is because our new center was built without fuel pumps. We were told that the EPA regulations regarding fuel pumps were so costly that it was actually cheaper for us to fuel off site.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Our center has unleaded and diesel pumps on site. But they did away with the natural gas pumps, and they give gas cards to the car wash crew to fuel the natural gas fleet at a station 1 mile away.

29th Christmas

25 years ago our ctr had pumps, the p/t crew would fuel every truck every nite. The company had them taken out because they didn't want to deal with the EPA.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Our more rural routes used to have gas cards in the trucks at all times just in case but we had to turn them in about 5 years ago. Our PC's are much more fuel efficient and have bigger tanks now. Mostly just bigger tanks.

ladybrown

All of our trucks have fuel cards, always have. We have never had fuel pumps at our centers. I know here in Oregon, UPS can get a PUC discount. I dont know about other states. Some of the stations here are willing to deal with giving us the discount, some aren't. We are asked to please fuel at the stations who will take the time to give us the discount.

govols019

You smell that?
We have pumps at the center and gas card in every package car.

Well, I say every car. The only time you'll find a package car missing a gas card is when you're about to run out of fuel 60 miles from the center. Funny how that works.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
All of our trucks have gas cards. we don't have pumps at the center. But that is to be expected, hell we don't have room for our trucks at the ctr. LOL

GOVOLS ain't that the truth!

rod

Retired 22 years
My old center just refurbished their underground fuel tank this summer. Apparently it cost a ton of money. No one can understand how come they didn't convert it to diesel as there are very few gas vehicals left in the center. All the diesel vehicals have to use fuel cards so you would think they would change the damn tank over to diesel fuel. I always fiiled my diesel package car up at a station that offered a free car wash for every 100 gals. When I retired I had enough free car wash coupons to last the wife and me for almost 3 years.:happy2: (you have to plan ahead for retirement you know)

chopstic

My center doesn't have fuel on location because we are on airport property. But using a gas card has great perks. Free drinks, coffee, mugs, and lately I get BOGO ski lift ticket coupons. I hope there is no UPS policy against recieving perks from fueling up.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
We have pumps at the center and gas card in every package car.

Well, I say every car. The only time you'll find a package car missing a gas card is when you're about to run out of fuel 60 miles from the center. Funny how that works.
Same here. I fuel on road because the line at the building is always too long.

yep, now your center manager will be getting ski lift tickets, coffee mugs, etc. Lots of 'em.

We have tanks at the center for both gas and diesel, but our extended routes have to use the cards on area also. Our OMS has all the cards in little book, we have to sign in and out for the cards each day.

diesel96

Most of our centers and hubs south of you Steve had our fuel tank islands replaced above and under ground. We (Feeders) all recieved gas cards at the time and I would usally fill up at The Pilot exit 129 or The Flying J exit 131. Your bldg is probably scheduled soon.

Maybe UPS is wanting to get rid of the fuel islands and car wash? Everyone knows the vehicles barely get washed anymore and the fuel islands are a big liability and expense to the company. The issuer of the gas cards probably looks at all the gas purchased nationwide by UPS and gives some kind of volume discount or incentive.

Big Babooba

My old center just refurbished their underground fuel tank this summer. Apparently it cost a ton of money. No one can understand how come they didn't convert it to diesel as there are very few gas vehicals left in the center. All the diesel vehicals have to use fuel cards so you would think they would change the damn tank over to diesel fuel. I always fiiled my diesel package car up at a station that offered a free car wash for every 100 gals. When I retired I had enough free car wash coupons to last the wife and me for almost 3 years.:happy2: (you have to plan ahead for retirement you know)
Those free car washes belong to UPS. Expect a lot of drivers with dirty trucks to come knocking at your door!:laugh:

thebrownbox

Sounds like something my center did over the summer as well.. they dug up the tanks and replaced them but both fuel islands however one tank was diesel and the other was gasoline.. now it's just both diesel.

rod

Retired 22 years
Those free car washes belong to UPS. Expect a lot of drivers with dirty trucks to come knocking at your door!:laugh:

If they are using GPS maps- they can't find me:wink2: Our clerk told me one time that she looked at the bill from the transport company after they had just topped off our 10,000 gal. tank and they were charging UPS 5 cents more per gal. than we could have purchased it for at the local gas station.

ikoi62

our building has a tanker truck (diesel)come every night to fuel the trucks. and we have gas pumps on property.