Gas Cards

Fullhouse

At our PCM this morning our on-road gave all of us gas cards. We have gas pumps at our center, and the only cards ever given out to anyone were for the deisel cars. The cards given out today were for all the pkg cars in the building. Is this a trend? Are all centers going to be fueling at gas stations? It seems to me that being such a large corporation, UPS would get some sort of discount on fuel. Anyone hear anything about this?
We have cards in all our cars. never know when the pumps tear up at the building or the fuel truck can't make the delivery!

SmithBarney

We had cards at our center(although they were supposed to stay with the trucks they rarely did)
We'd fill up at whatever station, I usually filled up at whatever station gave free stuff with a fill up(candy bar, drinks, even AA batteries once(during xmas)

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
The only time you'll find a package car missing a gas card is when you're about to run out of fuel 60 miles from the center. Funny how that works.

Haha yeah, we had this problem at our centre as well. Too many guys used that as an excuse to suck up extra overtime as they waited for someone to bring them another card. That is until management decided we should just keep the gas cards in our wallets.

wornoutupser

My center is SUPPOSED to have a fuel card in every vehicle but most drivers seem to have them in their wallet.
This is hard when cars get switched and in my building they are switched all the time. There is no accountability for the cards, when they are gone they are gone. The bosses have to drive all over to bring fuel cards out!

rod

Retired 22 years
My center is SUPPOSED to have a fuel card in every vehicle but most drivers seem to have them in their wallet.
This is hard when cars get switched and in my building they are switched all the time. There is no accountability for the cards, when they are gone they are gone. The bosses have to drive all over to bring fuel cards out!

when in Rome :wink2:

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Last I knew the cards were issued for a specfic car but could be used for any car as long as you had a valid pin (employee id) and put a number in the mileage field.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Last I knew the cards were issued for a specfic car but could be used for any car as long as you had a valid pin (employee id) and put a number in the mileage field.

That is right but accounting tracks the fuel purchases and mileage for each vehicle and switching them screws that up. Each center should have a couple of generic fuel cards which can be used for any pkg car.

The gas card solution is simple. Issue the cards to each driver with their EMP. ID#, upon fueling they enter the PC # and mileage, accounting can reconcile with those entries. If something does not jive, they know who to talk to.

SmithBarney

The gas card solution is simple. Issue the cards to each driver with their EMP. ID#, upon fueling they enter the PC # and mileage, accounting can reconcile with those entries. If something does not jive, they know who to talk to.

exactly, I recommended this before I left, funny thing is now I am at FedEx, we
are all issued cards with our names on them, you lose it, its you own dang fault.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

exactly, I recommended this before I left, funny thing is now I am at FedEx, we
are all issued cards with our names on them, you lose it, its you own dang fault.

This is a very good idea, although the current one also works well when the fuel cards are left in the pkg car. We enter the odometer and our ID#, sign the receipt and turn in our copy with vehicle number and gallons either circled or handwritten across the top.

This is a very good idea, although the current one also works well when the fuel cards are left in the pkg car. We enter the odometer and our ID#, sign the receipt and turn in our copy with vehicle number and gallons either circled or handwritten across the top.
Good, for those that live in a perfect world. I don't happen to be that lucky. There is always that one DA, that forgets to leave the card in the PC the last day before his vaca.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We enter ID and Odo but as far as the reciepts..................they might get turned in............or not.:happy2:

upsgrunt

We have a box near our check in station we are supposed to put our fuel receipts in. There must be 10,000 receipts in there. We have to tell the supes to empty it about the time it starts to look like George Castanza's wallet. How would you like to be the person who has to go through all those?

We have a box near our check in station we are supposed to put our fuel receipts in. There must be 10,000 receipts in there. We have to tell the supes to empty it about the time it starts to look like George Castanza's wallet. How would you like to be the person who has to go through all those?
LOL, I was originally hired at UPS as a fuel and oil clerk( along with other duties). Getting the receipts everyday sure made my job easier.