German Shepherds

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is a house on my route that has an absolutely psychotic German Shepherd inside. There are full-length windows on either side of the door and every time I make a delivery this dog is snarling and barking at me thru the glass with fangs bared and spit flying everywhere the moment I set foot on the porch. To make matters worse, the house has a looooong driveway that I have to walk off. Today I was less than half way back to the truck when the customer (an elderly woman) opened the door to get her package and the dog lunged and tried to get out. Fortunately for me the woman was able to hold the dog (barely) long enough for me to get back to the safety of the truck. Had it gotten loose, it would easily have caught up to me. Now, its probably pretty obvious from all the pictures I post here that I am a dog lover who has had plenty of pit bulls and dobermans jumping into the truck for treats and belly rubs, but if there is one breed that truly scares me it is German Shepherds. I cant "read" them and I dont trust them. This particular Shepherd scares the :censored2: out of me, and the problem is that I cant really refuse to deliver there because the dog is never out. My fear is that the elderly woman will be unable to restrain the dog when she opens the door and that I will still be too far away from the truck to escape from the dog if this happens.

Solution: 6-cell Mag Light. Its not so much a flashlight as it is a war club with batteries inside and a light bulb at one end. There is not a dog alive who could withstand a blow to the head with a Mag Light. I still have one from back in my days as an unassigned driver, and it looks like its time for me to dust it off and start bringing it out on route with me again!

gman042

Been around the block a few times
They make a stubby aluminum bat that is about 2 and a half feet long. One of our drivers has one to use on a pesky pitbull that tries to take his legs off. Makes a good hollow sound when bounced off a skull. Course don't know if it the bat or the skull that is hollow

soberups

They make a stubby aluminum bat that is about 2 and a half feet long. One of our drivers has one to use on a pesky pitbull that tries to take his legs off. Makes a good hollow sound when bounced off a skull. Course don't know if it the bat or the skull that is hollow

Its a lot easier to justify carrying a 6-cell Mag Light than it is to justify carrying an aluminum bat.:happy-very:

Indecisi0n

Houses like that I don't ring the bell. I silently place the back down and leave. Sorry but I am more concerned about my own well being than you getting the package the second it arrives.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Carry a stun gun, its your arse. I have the same fear/ Yes its not out, but I have several driver friends who have had them come through those windows. I would call her, and have her put a box at the end of her driveway.
She has the dog for a reason.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What if he is directed to keep doing what he is doing? Should he even though it's dangerous/wrong?

No. Our safety is far more important than any package. If the homeowner is unable to come up with an acceptable solution than Sober would have no choice but to start putting her packages on will call. A few trips to the center may prompt the homeowner to work out a solution.

oldngray

nowhere special
I had a customer with mean dogs that ran loose outside on his farm. He told me to just honk my horn when I pull into his driveway and if he doesn't come out to meet me, don't get out of my package car. Just bring it back tomorrow.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a customer with mean dogs that ran loose outside on his farm. He told me to just honk my horn when I pull into his driveway and if he doesn't come out to meet me, don't get out of my package car. Just bring it back tomorrow.

Get as close to the house as possible----put package in DR bag----open pkg car door and place pkg on ground----have a nice day.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I had a shepherd come in the truck and grab my left leg as I opened the bulkhead door. It snapped a 1/4 inch cable. That it has been tugging on for years to get me. Now the owner put up a 6 ft fence around his yard. To keep him in.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Sounds like the dog is in the house. Ask customer not to open door and retrieve package until driver has left the premises. Dogs, they're not for everyone.

soberups

Solution: ask the homeowner to set up a "drop box" at the end of the driveway.

I have never spoken to this customer; 99% of the time she isnt at home when I make the delivery, and if she does happen to be home, I dont even want to be within shouting distance of the door when she opens it.

The customer isnt at fault or being negligent in this situation. The dog is secure and not allowed to run loose. Its just a "what if" scenario as far as me being in the wrong place at the wrong time if she happens to open the door. I will feel a whole lot better if I just happen to be lighting up my walk path with a Mag Light when that happens. I dont trust stun guns or pepper spray; its a lot more comforting to have a blunt, heavy object in my hand instead.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Houses like that I don't ring the bell. I silently place the back down and leave. Sorry but I am more concerned about my own well being than you getting the package the second it arrives.

This is the breed I have had try to bite me the most and its not even close. Its simple for me. I don't get out of the truck. Bag it and leave it.

browndingo

Dogs are territorial of course, and they are good learners. When you walk up invading their territory they bark at you, then they see you leave and figure "Oh, that worked perfectly - I'll do it again the next time"

Then they see you the next time and figure "This guy forgot our little discussion from before" and they get more aggressive. On the third delivery they're thinking "This guy never learns..." and they're ready to go for your throat.

I saw this problem from the other side with my brother and his dog (a lab, not a shepherd). She went ape-crazy every day when the postal carrier stepped onto the porch. The carrier happened to live in the neighborhood and even came over a few times off duty to chat and play with the dog, but it was the mail car and the uniform that was triggering the response, apparently, because as soon as he was back at work the dog was going nuts again.

A

anonymous6

are you allowed to carry pepper spray? im thinking of getting some for when I go into the woods for firewood. almost had a problem with a mama bear a couple years ago. we have on of those portable boat horns near our front door when bears come into the yard. that scares them away fast.