Getting fired

Buck Fifty

Sounds like they are gonna see how bad you want it. Seems to be plenty of evidence to disprove job abandonment . Prepare for the worst and expect the best. I dont believe you will lose your job. Keep fighting the good fight.

quamba 638

Hi, I have worked for UPS for 13 years. just recently I got a DUI in my personal car. I was in jail and I had my wife call my manager, cause no one would answer the phone at my center, and He(manager) put me on vacation for the week while I waited to be arraigned and could out. Well through our great legal system I was unable to get out and was left in jail for 2 more weeks. I had 2 more weeks vacation time that could have been used to cover my time in jail, since it was an emergency. My wife kept my manager apprised of my situation, but he would/could not give me the other 2 weeks I had coming to me. He leaked out to his boss where I was and jumped at the chance to fire me for "job abandonment", which is basically "no call no show". Even though they were called and knew where I was and what was going on. I even talked to my immediate supervisor on the phone from jail and told him the situation they still claim I did not contact them. So I filed my grievance and it's my belief that my Union rep. didn't fight for me, I wasn't even at the labor/union meeting where I was told by phone that i wouldn't be allowed back to work to part-time shifts. I even went to TAP and went through a treatment program. Another thing that pisses my off is that my manager has given other co-workers of my emergency time off with vacation pay in the passed even for being in jail. Any way need a good lawyer cause I don't trust my union rep.

Sorry story is so long, thanks
Terry D.
. We're you ridin dirty?
image.jpg

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Not getting fired for the DUI! Only 1 DUI not 2. Getting fired for job abandonment, which I wasn't. Management claims I just didn't contact at anytime. center manager gave other drivers I work with vacation weekS when they were arrested or needed time. Not me though as the Div. Manager got a whiff of it and was out to can anybody that fell in the net. Yes that's a capital S on weeks.

As someone else pointed out, you can probably nail them on the job abandonment part as they gave you an unscheduled week of vacation to cover your absence. If you don't have any previous record of attendance issues/discipline, you'll probably skate.

But a lot of this depends on your BA/labor manager and the other cases you mentioned. You really need to be calling your union hall and need to be in touch with your BA. You need to be completely honest and provide all details. Good luck.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Looks like management did a good job. Getting a maniac out of one of those package cars is one of the best thing that can happen to ups in the name of safety. If it wasn't a carnage with you wiping out a whole family coming home from the movie theater then it would be you decapitating one of them low paid preloaders in one of them package cars. I honestly hope you don't get back your job in the name of safety, I believe that your lesson should be suspended for no less than a year if it hasn't been done yet. I understand that you made a mistake, but unfortunately, you will have to live with the consequences that come with it. No impunity!!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
what about simple phone records? wife's phone? my cell phone bill shows all calls, connected calls, etc. I am pretty sure that since mgmt. is lying (which is expected) you could fight this easily with those records.

over9five

Staff member
I say they did him a huge favor giving him that one week vacation.

Does HE have to call that next week? Can someone book off for you, like his wife did??

Terry D.

Thanks for the POSITIVE feedback. I haven't had a drink in 85 days and don't intend to, it was a terrible way to deal with the stress, and it finally caught up with me. Not having any support from my business agent is going to be difficult, he is pressuring me into resigning as UPS gave me that option. I have gone back and forth between resigning and fighting and getting fired. I chose to fight!

over9five

Staff member
Thanks for the POSITIVE feedback. I haven't had a drink in 85 days and don't intend to, it was a terrible way to deal with the stress, and it finally caught up with me. Not having any support from my business agent is going to be difficult, he is pressuring me into resigning as UPS gave me that option. I have gone back and forth between resigning and fighting and getting fired. I chose to fight!
Your BA is pressuring you to quit???

That is not a good sign.

Terry D.

By the way, if you are really reading this I wasn't at work, never drank on the job, so don't give me your "high and mighty" bulls---. The issue isn't the fn DUI, it's the fact that management knew where I was, gave me one week off and then wouldn't give me anymore in an emergency, then claimed I didn't notify them. Like I said before one if not more of my Co-workers have been arrested and were given vacations to take care of business. One I know for sure couple of months before me were given 3 weeks in a row. Why not me, what's past practice then. Does management get to pick and choose who they may save and who they don't. The fact of the matter is my center manager doesn't want to get rid of me, as I am one of the best drivers in our center,(no bragging either). He just let it slip to his superiors, and they jumped at the chance to get rid of anyone that fell in their net. It could happen to anyone here, maybe not the same circumstance, could be anything. And no I am never late to work, don't have a history of not showing up, screwing up, stealing time, or anything else. The only time I'm ever in the office is to talk to my center manager. I talking a center that has 1 center manager and 2 on-road supes.

Terry D.

My immediate supervisor accepted my call from jail on his cell phone. My center manager was told by Div. Manager not to accept my calls.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
By the way, if you are really reading this I wasn't at work, never drank on the job, so don't give me your "high and mighty" bulls---. The issue isn't the fn DUI, it's the fact that management knew where I was, gave me one week off and then wouldn't give me anymore in an emergency, then claimed I didn't notify them. Like I said before one if not more of my Co-workers have been arrested and were given vacations to take care of business. One I know for sure couple of months before me were given 3 weeks in a row. Why not me, what's past practice then. Does management get to pick and choose who they may save and who they don't. The fact of the matter is my center manager doesn't want to get rid of me, as I am one of the best drivers in our center,(no bragging either). He just let it slip to his superiors, and they jumped at the chance to get rid of anyone that fell in their net. It could happen to anyone here, maybe not the same circumstance, could be anything. And no I am never late to work, don't have a history of not showing up, screwing up, stealing time, or anything else. The only time I'm ever in the office is to talk to my center manager. I talking a center that has 1 center manager and 2 on-road supes.

I really don't understand why your BA is pressuring you to quit. I don't know all the facts, but the company's case sounds pretty weak given the previous incidents and the shuffling around of your vacation week. This all sounds awful fishy, unless you're in a RTW state and don't pay union dues.

You need to be going down to the union hall and meeting with him/her face-to-face. If you continue to get pressured to resign, I would go over your BA's head and bring the matter up with your local's president. When/if you have a termination hearing, your center manager going to bat for you will actually be a big help unless the Division Manager decides to clip his wings.

You ****ed up but I think you realize that and you seem to regret your mistake.

Terry D.

Let me reiterate, the reason why I was in jail is not the issue, I only told everyone to be honest, and put all the facts before the forum. All any of you needed to know was that I was in jail, not for what. Some of you are missing the point. Would you like a precedent like this to make it easier for Management to fire others regardless of my specific reason.

over9five

Staff member
Yes, I'll be calling above my BA's head I have no confidence in the guy. He seems to like his paycheck for free.
Dude, forget calling. Why are you here??? You should be down the hall talking to the President. Face to face.
Don't wait, go now. Dress appropriately, shave, look like someone who deserves to get his job back.
Be polite, but firm.

​Good luck, my friend.

Overpaid Union Thug

Print copies of your phone records that show all of the times you actually talked to a sup from jail. Also dig up the pay stub that shows you were advanced a vacation. Once these items are in hand go straight to the union hall and plead your case.

oldngray

nowhere special
if you drive and get a DUI conviction I think you can get fired but not sure. Its stupid to risk your job drinking and driving anyway.