Getting sent home during qualification period?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Christiam hunt, May 15, 2019.

1. Clch2019

Clch2019 New Member

I just recently got hired on as a delivery driver. I have 30 days supposedlyto qualify, and this week I've been sent home 2 days in a row. Is this fair or at all normal for new hires?

2. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Normal. UPS can't lay off a FT driver and allow you to work. Good news is the heavy vacation season is right around the corner. You will have to quit to get a day off.

3. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

You have more then 30 days to qualify. Depending on your area you could have anywhere from 90-120.

You have to work 30 days in that amount of time though.

4. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

If that's your real name you need to change it for your protection.

5. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

I got this...

6. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

I aspire to walk in your footsteps and bask in your wrath.

7. 542thruNthru

Hey back off! He's mine!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  8. BigBrown87

BigBrown87 If it’s brown, it’s going down

Did you give your supervisor the secret handshake when you first started? If not you will not be allowed to qualify, get with your union steward and he or she will give you the info they might laugh or play dumb but dont leave their sight until you learn the secret handshake for more hours.

9. Dough99

Dough99 Member

You can’t be bumped off a training route.

10. Clch2019

Clch2019 New Member

So what should I do? Because the training route is someone's normal every day route

11. Always do the air test before you leave, to verify the contents of the environment, grab a trash bag, face into the wind, capture as much as you can in the bag and deliver to your DS. He will then analyze it and account for fuel consumption for the next day saving the company money. By money I mean hundreds of thousands of nickel and dimes.

12. 542thruNthru

He can be if they will be laying off drivers with more seniority. He can't be bumped by someone that just wants to do the route.

13. Clch2019

Clch2019 New Member

Thanks guys, I'm just trying to improve and get better I don't really see the need for all the sarcasm. But I'm not gonna argue about it because there's no point, just a simple question

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  14. 542thruNthru

Ask a fellow driver who the Shop Steward is. He/She will be able to answer all your questions better then anyone on here. That's the best advice anyone can really give you.

15. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

He can if it means laying off a FT driver. Most new guys trying to qualify are laid off every Monday. At least until vacations kick in.

16. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

Fair and UPS don’t really go together

17. rod

rod retired and happy

This place is full of asshats who have nothing better to do with their time--even though they should be spending it with their families rather than on here.

18. Clch2019

Clch2019 New Member

I do know mondays I won't be working, but I also got laid off today and Tuesday

19. Netsua 3:16

Netsua 3:16 Stop being a little bitch

It took me 85 total days to get my 30 days in. And I ran scratch every day from day 6 on. So hang in there and don't complain about it, enjoy the free time while you got it. Go drive your route

20. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

You got two troll responses, you got off light.