Giving PT the option to not have benefits/pension

Its_a_me

I have seen posts in the past regarding this. Giving part timers the option of not having benefits and or pension in exchange for a higher hourly rate, say $5-$10 an hour. Has this ever actually been brought up in negotiations to anyones knowledge. It seems like this would be a good way to solve the part time wage problem and free up money to also give full timers the raises we
CF3RdH0UIAApKu3.jpg

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Seems like it would be a massive concession.

In regions where the part timers' positions are contributing (monetary) to the full timer's pension and health and welfare plans, like the western conferences....NO WAY...!!

Other regions or conferences where they are not...it is plausible...

Those part timers under the Central and Southern are most vulnerable...I can see the Company offering a matched 401K similar to what they just did with their management people...or they can just keep control of the UPS Pension Plan knowing full well that almost 90 percent of those who are currently vested (5 years) will get peanuts once they hit the service requirements for a full pension benefit. A Win, Win situation for the company....

We all might want to look up the differences between a (Defined Pension Plan) and a (Monetary Contribution Pension Plan)
like the West's....the big one is how they are funded...

Last edited:

nWo

I have seen posts in the past regarding this. Giving part timers the option of not having benefits and or pension in exchange for a higher hourly rate, say $5-$10 an hour. Has this ever actually been brought up in negotiations to anyones knowledge. It seems like this would be a good way to solve the part time wage problem and free up money to also give full timers the raises we deserve.

278-2785578_bugs-bunny-no-meme-png-transparent-png.png

beentheredonethat

There’s no PTer that is ever going to trade off the insurance. Most are only there for the insurance.
A ton of PT'ers would. Virtually everyone under 26 are still covered under their parents health care. In addition, the majority of PT hourlies, especially in the hubs, work far less then 5 years and at least in my area, they need 5 years to be vested to get anything form the pension. Most PT would love the option. It's the teamsters that wouldn't want it since they would lose a boat load of free money.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
A ton of PT'ers would. Virtually everyone under 26 are still covered under their parents health care. In addition, the majority of PT hourlies, especially in the hubs, work far less then 5 years and at least in my area, they need 5 years to be vested to get anything form the pension. Most PT would love the option. It's the teamsters that wouldn't want it since they would lose a boat load of free money.
The rates would go up for everyone else. Its not gonna happen.