Global warming

wkmac

ya, but how do you explain the sea level rising 200ft over the last 11,000 years?

From what I've read, sea levels rose about 400 ft. The melting has been ongoing over the last 20k or so years with the most significant melt events occurring at times now known as "melt water pulses". 3 such events that were the most significant are known as melt water pulse 1A, 1B & 2B. Many of the world's flood myths may have been inspired by these melt water pulses.

For example, the legend of Plato's Atlantis sinking into the sea as he dates it seems to occur with the ending of the Younger Dryas (temperatures rose 18 degrees friend in a single decade per the NOAA article linked) that puts our planet into the Holocene epoch in which we live today and seems to be a reprieve from the standard earth climate of glacial cold. This graph taken from the Antarctic Ice Core drilling known as Vostok which show temperature, CO2 and dust proxies found in the ice dating back nearly 500 YBP (year before present) shows the typical climate over the last 500k years to be much colder than we enjoy right now. What is still puzzling is the warming spikes every 100k or so years coupled with CO2 rise followed by a significant drop and what appears to be a return to the more normal colder climate. We still don't know what causes either one (spike up or spike down) to occur but by all accounts, seems to me we should be far more worried about a temperature drop and a return to a more normal but vastly colder climate. There is historical precedence for that to occur per the Vostok ice core samples.

As to sea levels, our epoch period of the last 15k years is noted for significant sea level rise (as noted at the NASA link above) and could account for the Atlantis flood story among others. Some speculate the biblical Garden of Eden was based on an earlier account and location at the head of the Persian Gulf where the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers now enter the gulf. Space imagery show ancient river deltas, one going west into Saudi Arabia and the other east into Iran which could account for the Pison and Gihon rivers in the biblical Eden story. This is barely even a hypothesis so don't be tempted to run with it just yet. A 400 ft. sea level drop would all but make the Persian Gulf disappear and leaving an ancient land mass of idyllic conditions. This area is also the area of ancient Sumer and considering the significance of the Sumerian flood myth to the re-telling in the Noah flood myth of the later Israelites, one can't help but be fascinated by the possibilities here, unproven that they are.

Another claimed lost continent is Lemuria in the Indian/Pacific oceans and looking at the proposed ancient map below demonstrating what a drop of 400 ft in sea level would look like land mass wise, such a legend could have come from earlier stories and human knowledge. Although in the case of Lemuria and Atlantis, 20th century man have taken them to a whole other level of myth and unprovable claims.

Several years ago, a research team in the Black Sea discovered an ancient shoreline about 180 ft. below the surface and some argue the next great archeology finds are not on dry land but in 200 to 300 ft deep sea water. Interesting thought for sure.

Sea_Level_Last_Ice_Age.gif

wkmac

We've run the AC more over the last month than we ran the heat. About to go kick the AC on again as it's hot. I normally sleep with a window open in the winter but it's been so warm and muggy, I just kick on the AC.

Been in short sleeves the last several days, even at night. We live on the eastern edge of the deep south tornado ally and it has been active this year. Read where there have been 163 tornadoes reported in US so far in 2017'.

Also read from the San Jose newspaper The Mercury that in a 10 day period the snowpack in the Sierra Nevada mountains doubled. Still below normal but they got hammered in the last couple of weeks.

Oklahoma
recently saw a bunch of 90, even upper 90 degree days. While the US has had very mild weather, Europe has had very cold weather.

I suspect our weather had more to do with the La Nina weather pattern while bringing milder air off the Pacific but it was a weak La Nina. They say we could still be in for a cold snap before Spring fully sets in.

And as for the Pacific weather and La Nina, I watch the big pro surfing event from Mavericks every year (internet streaming and my supervisor knows when it goes green, I'll be late to work that day) and there is no set time as they just wait for a winter storm to kick up those 60 foot monsters. When the inbound swell tags the at-sea buoys, the word goes out and the surfers fly in to Half Moon Bay ready to paddle out. Every day I check the website and every day is the same "no inbound swells" and in another month the window will close out and no surfing this year. The year starts Nov. 1 and run to March 31st.

moreluck

golden ticket member
That might be your worst pic-post yet.

Sorry, it doesn't make sense.

And, are you agreeing that gender is fluid?

Lulz.
according to that 'restroom' initiative in N Carolina.....you feel like a woman one day...like a man the next and you use the restroom that coincides with your feelings. That's fluid to me. Some days you feel like a nut, some days you don't.