BrownTruckWannabe

I'm going to need Friday and Saturday off in a few weeks. I've only been with the company 6 months. I'm an unloader for the preload shift. I have no vacation time yet. I will be going on this vacation regardless of what they think about it. Can't decide if I'm going to call out or just tell them I need the time off. If they tell me they can't approve it and I go anyway what's the worst that could happen? This is a place that has hired back people multiple times after abandoning work, so I shouldn't be that worried I suppose, but if they decided to discipline me would it be anything worse than some kind of write up? I don't plan to do this kind of thing often and would prefer to be able to talk about my vaca without being fired for dishonesty. Any personal experiences with this kind of situation?

AlliSeeisBrown

I'm going to need Friday and Saturday off in a few weeks. I've only been with the company 6 months. I'm an unloader for the preload shift. I have no vacation time yet. I will be going on this vacation regardless of what they think about it. Can't decide if I'm going to call out or just tell them I need the time off. If they tell me they can't approve it and I go anyway what's the worst that could happen? This is a place that has hired back people multiple times after abandoning work, so I shouldn't be that worried I suppose, but if they decided to discipline me would it be anything worse than some kind of write up? I don't plan to do this kind of thing often and would prefer to be able to talk about my vaca without being fired for dishonesty. Any personal experiences with this kind of situation?

If you need it off just let them know. Do it ahead of time. They don't need to know what it's for. If they say no, then just tell them you will have to call out. Say sorry and walk away. Then when the day comes, call in an hour before your shift and enjoy your weekend.

*edit* If you suck they could give you a hard time about it but if you don't stir the pot around there then it shouldn't be a problem.

Box Ox

I'm going to need Friday and Saturday off in a few weeks. I've only been with the company 6 months.
I will be going on this vacation regardless of what they think about it.
I don't plan to do this kind of thing often
Any personal experiences with this kind of situation?

They’d hit you with job abandonment at my center. And a panel might not bring back somebody with so little time under their belt.

Edit: What 542 said if it’s just 2 days. Wouldn’t ever go 3+.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Just call out and be ready to work on Tuesday.

Faceplanted

That’s only 1 “instance” of an attendance problem. Worst case scenario is a warning letter. Tell them you can’t come In on xx dates Call in as well so they don’t try to hit you with a no call.

brownIEman

Having run preloads I'll give you a management perspective.
If you just call out those days the worst that will happen from a discipline standpoint is one dependability occurrence which usually is a documented talk with.
However, no one on your management team is going to believe you just happened to get sick on a Friday and a Monday. Being new you will paint yourself as a potential dependability issue and they will be less likely to use enforcement discretion in your favor in the future.

If you tell them and they can't just schedule you off and force you to call in, then again the most they can enforce for this instance would be one occurrence. And you've at least shown them the respect to give them a heads up. Most management will appreciate that.

If your management doesn't appreciate the heads up and comes down even harder for it, well one occurrence is still the most they can enforce and then you know exactly what type of pricks you work for. Useful information.