Good Grief

Ricochet1a

These people bragging about how they don't eat any of the food at the free BBQs FedEx gives them sounds like angry people in general to me.

When I was working on Fred's plantation (Express), many of us constantly asked, "Are you going to eat the hamburger?".

This was as much of a rhetorical question, as it was a question of where one's priorities lay.

See, for those of us who knew we were getting screwed, refusing to eat the hamburger was a very small, insignificant, yet nevertheless important sign that we weren't going to rollover and partake of the handouts, while we were getting screwed in the much larger picture (no pay progression, deteriorating work conditions, retirement plan being gutted). It was insignificant, but symbolic in that we WEREN'T going to put on a smiley face and chow down the hamburger, while there were larger issues which were being totally ignored by Express - due to their paying a hell of a lot more for filet mignon for highly placed lobbyist and politicos.

A futile gesture, yes. But it allowed us to keep some dignity, when we were being screwed.

I never ate the hamburger after my first year of Express. By the time I left, very few ate the hamburger, and management had to resort to requiring employees to attend their little BBQ sessions. Even then, most of us made a point of bringing our own bag of chips and soda. It sent a very clear and unmistakable message - we couldn't be bought for a damn hamburger every once and awhile. Futile, yes, but we were able to keep just a little bit of our dignity in the process.

Don't eat the hamburger Fred offers up.....

Glorifiedpackmule

What exactly makes FedEx Express a good job for you? What this company is offering for lower mid level employee rightnow is a bad deal. It's very close to poverty.

vantexan

When I was working on Fred's plantation (Express), many of us constantly asked, "Are you going to eat the hamburger?".

This was as much of a rhetorical question, as it was a question of where one's priorities lay.

See, for those of us who knew we were getting screwed, refusing to eat the hamburger was a very small, insignificant, yet nevertheless important sign that we weren't going to rollover and partake of the handouts, while we were getting screwed in the much larger picture (no pay progression, deteriorating work conditions, retirement plan being gutted). It was insignificant, but symbolic in that we WEREN'T going to put on a smiley face and chow down the hamburger, while there were larger issues which were being totally ignored by Express - due to their paying a hell of a lot more for filet mignon for highly placed lobbyist and politicos.

A futile gesture, yes. But it allowed us to keep some dignity, when we were being screwed.

I never ate the hamburger after my first year of Express. By the time I left, very few ate the hamburger, and management had to resort to requiring employees to attend their little BBQ sessions. Even then, most of us made a point of bringing our own bag of chips and soda. It sent a very clear and unmistakable message - we couldn't be bought for a damn hamburger every once and awhile. Futile, yes, but we were able to keep just a little bit of our dignity in the process.

And don't take time-in-service awards or safe driving awards. Don't shake your mgr's hand as she hands you your paycheck. Ticked one off when I refused to shake her hand. Told her the company's pay policies were extremely unfair and shaking her hand violated my conscience.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)

Lol, well put. I have never thought of it like that. My mindset was that money could have been allocated more appropriately, and also that I am vastly superior in the Chef department than the guys operating the grill.

Every once in a while they'll spring for some really choice Mexican cuisine...and that is my kryptonite.

DS

Fenderbender
I get it, I've worked at places I hated...but instead of bitching about it every day, I went out and found a job Iove. And I figured I would get slammed, but thats ok. And fedex4live, I got your back :)

Welcome to the browncafe "GoodGrief"
I think it's great that you Fedexer's finally have a place to vent.
Don't eat the hamburger

I've been at UPS 23 years now and I always thought the same way Ricochet.
Keep your bribes,I have a meal waiting at home.
But the reality is,things will not change just because we are boycotting the burgers.
Grab 2 and take 'em home.Save 'em for lunch tomorrow.

Mr Fedex

Banned
I never ate the hamburger after my first year of Express. By the time I left, very few ate the hamburger
You no longer work for FedEx and yet you still post here a lot tells me you have problems that go beyond your job.Maybe mental? If i was at a job I detested and left i would definitely not post on a forum about that job.I would leave it behind and move on but maybe that's the problem?Some people just cant let go of things and wish for everyone else to go through what they did and experience their pain.My point is,you don't work there anymore so why are you still complaining?

GoodGrief

If you've been lurking here then you know your question has been asked and answered many times. If you are happy with what you get, more power to you. You mentioned many years of service. So I'm assuming you are topped out with 5 weeks of vacation, a full 25 year pension or close to it? Many of us will only get the 5 weeks of vacation eventually, assuming FedEx doesn't take that away too or that they make it very difficult to stay on. We've had to accept much less pay and a bleaker future. I hope you aren't expecting us to accept our lot because you feel it's a good deal for you. I can say this repeatedly but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I have never expected or demanded UPS comparable pay and benefits. I've only asked that I get to top out in a reasonable time and get the traditional pension promised repeatedly as part of my compensation. And based on recent years I can't expect either to happen. FedEx however made a pretty good profit last year in a bad economy and is looking to further expand profits this year, much at our expense. Too bad for us folk who don't make much more than starting couriers despite 10+ years of work, huh?

No, I am not quiet there yet, but hope to work long enough to get there. And I am not expecting you to do anything, I am just wondering why stay at a job you're so unhappy with? And if UPS is so much better, why not try and get on with them?

vantexan

You no longer work for FedEx and yet you still post here a lot tells me you have problems that go beyond your job.Maybe mental? If i was at a job I detested and left i would definitely not post on a forum about that job.I would leave it behind and move on but maybe that's the problem?Some people just cant let go of things and wish for everyone else to go through what they did and experience their pain.My point is,you don't work there anymore so why are you still complaining?

A number of posters here work for FedEx Ground or UPS. Since R1a worked for Express he's in a better position to comment on what's going on at Express. If you aren't complaining about the other posters then maybe you are complaining that R1a's posts are too thorough, too detailed, too informative and thus a much greater threat to your favorite corporation. Are you trying to control what's posted here too? Open forum, free country.

GoodGrief

Are you serious? I don't even know what to say. You tried to make a point by not eating a hamburger? WOW. Wouldn't SFA make a little more sense? Just saying.

Mr Fedex

Banned
A number of posters here work for FedEx Ground or UPS. Since R1a worked for Express he's in a better position to comment on what's going on at Express. If you aren't complaining about the other posters then maybe you are complaining that R1a's posts are too thorough, too detailed, too informative and thus a much greater threat to your favorite corporation. Are you trying to control what's posted here too? Open forum, free country.

I am not doubting his intellect or knowledge.All i asked is if he hated his job so much and he left,why does he still post here complaining? I wonder if he hates his new job and posts in a forum for his new job.

vantexan

No, I am not quiet there yet, but hope to work long enough to get there. And I am not expecting you to do anything, I am just wondering why stay at a job you're so unhappy with? And if UPS is so much better, why not try and get on with them?

I'm 50, health issues, bad economy. This has been covered many times. And I'm not unhappy with the job, I'm unhappy with the company. The question is, why are you trying to squelch dissent? Do you feel there are no reasons to be unhappy with FedEx? As many of these issues cast the company in a bad light I think it's best that an anonymous forum can bring them to the company's attention without possibly jeopardizing one's job.

UPS requires considerable time to get into the better paying jobs, and time I don't have. I was willing to put up with the slow pay progression just to get my time in and get a full pension. The plan was terminated, then the economy tanked, then I developed some health problems. And like many I'm now just having to make the best of it. But the company could certainly pay better. Or do you feel someone with almost 14 years in making $4.40hr less than top-out, and a terminated pension paying $13.5k at 55 should be perfectly content?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What exactly makes FedEx Express a good job for you? What this company is offering for lower mid level employee rightnow is a bad deal. It's very close to poverty.

You are so WRONG!! I love my job, and Fred S, and Jesus. I praise God for every day I get to work for Mr.Smith because he is a Job Creator.

Mr Fedex

Banned
I'm 50, health issues, bad economy. This has been covered many times. And I'm not unhappy with the job, I'm unhappy with the company. The question is, why are you trying to squelch dissent? Do you feel there are no reasons to be unhappy with FedEx? As many of these issues cast the company in a bad light I think it's best that an anonymous forum can bring them to the company's attention without possibly jeopardizing one's job.

UPS requires considerable time to get into the better paying jobs, and time I don't have. I was willing to put up with the slow pay progression just to get my time in and get a full pension. The plan was terminated, then the economy tanked, then I developed some health problems. And like many I'm now just having to make the best of it. But the company could certainly pay better. Or do you feel someone with almost 14 years in making $4.40hr less than top-out, and a terminated pension paying $13.5k at 55 should be perfectly content?
And how does refusing to eat a hamburger help this situation.Also i'm sorry about your health issues.I hope you get healthy.

GoodGrief

I don't feel like anything, I am not judging...I am just asking. People are trashing a company most would kill to work for. I know it's not the same as 20 years ago, but you definitely could do a lot worse.

Mr Fedex

Banned
I don't feel like anything, I am not judging...I am just asking. People are trashing a company most would kill to work for. I know it's not the same as 20 years ago, but you definitely could do a lot worse.

Exactly.I get harassed all time time about trying to get into FedEx.There are so many who would take the place of all people hate their jobs at FedEx.

vantexan

Begging your pardon, but since FedEx has stripped many of our benefits and slowed pay progression to a trickle I've seen many newhires come and go. Most don't last when they realize how much FedEx requires of them without giving much in return. Of course eventually Express will be mostly part-time, populated by housewives and college kids who only want part-time. But believe it or not most people are looking for something with solid pay and a future. And they realize quick that the job they would have killed to get isn't worth punching anyone for, let alone killing.

Ricochet1a

And how does refusing to eat a hamburger help this situation.Also i'm sorry about your health issues.I hope you get healthy.

Translation... He got his, too damn bad you didn't get yours. So take the hamburger and be gratefui for it!!!

As far as the hamburger, since you don't "get" anything else that is going on around here, you won't get the hamburger deal either.

If you were working for 60% of what you are getting now, you wouldn't be singing the praises of Fred. Take a look at the Couriers in your station with less than 10 years in, then try singing your praises of Fred to them. I knew a few when I was in that tried just that - they ended up without many friends and always looking behind themselves, just to be safe.

You wouldn't by chance be FedEX 4 Life, in a new incarnation (notice the specific capitalization)?

He got banned 3 years ago for being a real stooge of Fred.