Good Grief

Ricochet1a

Begging your pardon, but since FedEx has stripped many of our benefits and slowed pay progression to a trickle I've seen many newhires come and go. Most don't last when they realize how much FedEx requires of them without giving much in return. Of course eventually Express will be mostly part-time, populated by housewives and college kids who only want part-time. But believe it or not most people are looking for something with solid pay and a future. And they realize quick that the job they would have killed to get isn't worth punching anyone for, let alone killing.

Ask her if she is salaried or wage...

LTFedExer

What exactly makes FedEx Express a good job for you? What this company is offering for lower mid level employee right now is a bad deal. It's very close to poverty.
A PT'er getting paid minimum's makes almost 30% more than the Federal guideline for poverty.

zapmail

I like my job..not having anyone hanging over me during the day not sitting in a cube..when I started I was PROUD..now, this company has slowly stripped my pride and I have no education as of yet to fall back on. It's just a job. I strive as hard as the company stives for me now-nothing more.
Hello all, I stumbled across this forum surfing the net for FedEx buyout rumors. Well, I found them. I have never seen so many unhappy FedEx employees in my many years of service at FedEx. I have been lurking for a few weeks now, and just have to ask. If you all (or most) here are so freaking unhappy, why don't you just leave and find another job? I consider myself lucky to even be employed. I don't want to stir up trouble, it just blows my mind reading some of the stuff on here. I know I am about to get slammed, but that's ok.....I am a big girl, I can take it...so fire away :peaceful:

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
I don't feel like anything, I am not judging...I am just asking. People are trashing a company most would kill to work for. I know it's not the same as 20 years ago, but you definitely could do a lot worse.

Agreed, you could definitely do worse. Not sure about the most people would kill to work for FedEx comment though.

This is a nice segue into my next thread, thanks.

Ricochet1a

A PT'er getting paid minimum's makes almost 30% more than the Federal guideline for poverty.

Well there you have it. Someone working Fred's plantation on a part-time basis is 30% better off than collecting welfare, eating on foodstamps and on Medicaid.

I wonder though, how about one of Fred's stepchildren working full-time with a family making $500 a week - how far above poverty is that?

$25,000/yr with no benefits for say a family of 3???

What's the poverty line for them?

Does Medicare kick in?

Who pays for that?

Is there really such a thing as low cost labor with no one else paying for it? (with the taxes I'm paying now, I'm sure as hell paying for it).

Or does Fred do what is so common place nowadays and do some "cost shifting" to someone else willing to take up the slack?

GoodGrief

To the contrary... you are trying to debate Couriers who are being screwed by the company they work for. You sound an awful lot like a few salaried Memphoids I know.

The question stands.

First, what exactly is a Memphoid? Second, my answer stands, none of your business.

Mr Fedex

Banned
$26.99 an hr P/T to deliver some envelopes in the morning with full benefits ain't bad to me.I also own my own business but I know everyone's situation is different.

vantexan

Looked it up. HHS sets the poverty level for 1 person at $11170 in the contiguous 48 states. Don't know what payscale you are looking at but for the lowest payscale I think, but not sure, that starting pay is $14.46hr. $14.46 X 17.5(part-time minimum) X 52 weeks(no vacation first year) minus taxes, minus health care, equals ?. I'm assuming $11170 is take-home.

So let me ask? If a fellow is above the poverty rate, say making $19k a year, does he have a quality life? If you have a job that makes absolutely no demands on you but only pays $19k a year and you are content with that more power to you. A job that has you running constantly, dealing with the public, dealing with traffic, dealing with weather, being constantly psychologically prodded by mgmt, making constant demands on your free time and holidays, should pay considerably more. That it pays a PTer a bit above the poverty line is nothing to be proud of.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
First, what exactly is a Memphoid? Second, my answer stands, none of your business.

A Memphoid is a cubicle-bound Memphis middle-management type, or someone from MEM with the mindset that Fred S is God and can do no wrong. You know, even if you are a topped-out 25+ year employee, you are still being :censored2: upon daily by this company. Your wages and benefits haven't even come close to keeping-up with the competition. You are deprived on any real chance of unionizing, and the company can do whatever it wants to you pretty much as it pleases.

Is that a good deal? If you're happy with that, good for you, but I'm not, and what really bugs me is the guy who works just as hard as me right next door but is making $9.00 less per hour. How can anyone with a conscience tolerate this crap? What other company takes forever to reach top wage, yet demands you make withering standards every day lest you get fired?

Go ahead and rationalize that you have a "good deal" with a "good company". You don't, but maybe you're not sharp enough to realize it.

Ricochet1a

Oh, is that what Memphoid is? A friend, got it.....

Someone who spends their day sitting in a cubicle somewhere in Shelby County TN, not doing anything real productive, feeling that they are "better" than those who work for the same company busting their butts for next to nothing, worrying if they are going to be eventually be "found out" and offered a buy out or worse yet - a pink slip.

GoodGrief

A Memphoid is a cubicle-bound Memphis middle-management type, or someone from MEM with the mindset that Fred S is God and can do no wrong. You know, even if you are a topped-out 25+ year employee, you are still being :censored2: upon daily by this company. Your wages and benefits haven't even come close to keeping-up with the competition. You are deprived on any real chance of unionizing, and the company can do whatever it wants to you pretty much as it pleases.

Is that a good deal? If you're happy with that, good for you, but I'm not, and what really bugs me is the guy who works just as hard as me right next door but is making $9.00 less per hour. How can anyone with a conscience tolerate this crap? What other company takes forever to reach top wage, yet demands you make withering standards every day lest you get fired?

Go ahead and rationalize that you have a "good deal" with a "good company". You don't, but maybe you're not sharp enough to realize it.

I am sharp enough to realize that I am lucky to be employed, to be able to pay my bills, have a roof over my head and food on the table. Have health insurance and vacation. Have my education paid for if I choose to go back to school. I can go on.....not everyone has that. But maybe you're not sharp enough to realize it.