Got ticketed in a feeder truck

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
30 days? Why wouldn't he be required to report it his following work day, if not the very same day?

Because it needs to be reported in writing with very detailed information. Just telling your employer does not satisfy the reporting requirement under the CFR Title 49 Section § 383.31

I think the 30 days maybe gives you time to fight it.

It is 30 days to give you a change to put it in writing.

The 30 day clock does not start until you plead guilty and pay the ticket or until you are found guilty by the courts, if you fight it.

In Cali you can't go to a class to have a ticket dismissed if you are a CDL holder

That's everywhere. It is a Federal Law.

I would mention the ticket to your Dispatch or On Road supe just to cover your butt

That still would not satisfy the written notification required under the law.

Not sure if this is nationwide but at our hub every feeder driver has to fill out a paper listing all tickets and accidents with dates etc. ( once a year )

Again, that is nationwide. It is a Federal Law

If you didn't list everything and the company found out you could be terminated.

It is easy to say that you forgot, but it could get ugly.

Not sure why we had to do this but I think it has to do with the insurance company.

Nope. It's Federal Law.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&ty=HTML&h=L&mc=true&=PART&n=pt49.5.383#se49.5.383_131

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Because it needs to be reported in writing with very detailed information. Just telling your employer does not satisfy the reporting requirement under the CFR Title 49 Section § 383.31

It is 30 days to give you a change to put it in writing.

The 30 day clock does not start until you plead guilty and pay the ticket or until you are found guilty by the courts, if you fight it.

That's everywhere. It is a Federal Law.

That still would not satisfy the written notification required under the law.

Again, that is nationwide. It is a Federal Law

It is easy to say that you forgot, but it could get ugly.

Nope. It's Federal Law.

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR)
It doesn't seem to be very strictly enforced. I got a ticket a few years back and didn't report it til we filled out the yearly disclosure form, never heard peep. I was not even aware of this 30 day written notice to your employer requirement, this is the first I've heard of it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It doesn't seem to be very strictly enforced. I got a ticket a few years back and didn't report it til we filled out the yearly disclosure form, never heard peep. I was not even aware of this 30 day written notice to your employer requirement, this is the first I've heard of it.

I am not preaching, but if you hold a CDL, you are responsible for knowing the laws that apply to a CDL.

UPS probably didn't even look at, or check, your MVDC when you filled it out. They just filed it.

And 999 times out of 1000, there will be no issues. But, if it comes out that you received a citation and did not notify the Company within 30 days, well, that 1 in a thousand could get very ugly.

Are you ready to bump back inside because your CDL was suspended?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I was not even aware of this 30 day written notice to your employer requirement, this is the first I've heard of it.

Really?

I got a ticket a few years back and didn't report it til we filled out the yearly disclosure form, never heard peep.

You don't read the forms that you sign?

This is clearly stated on the form that you signed.

MVDC1.jpg

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Are you ready to bump back inside because your CDL was suspended?
Do you know anybody that this has happened to? Around here everyone just fills out the MVDC, I've talked to plenty of guys who have gotten moving violations and no one has ever mentioned informing the company in writing within 30 days.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Do you know anybody that this has happened to? Around here everyone just fills out the MVDC, I've talked to plenty of guys who have gotten moving violations and no one has ever mentioned informing the company in writing within 30 days.

I understand and like I said in my previous post, 999 out of 1000 times it goes unnoticed.

But, by signing that form you understand the terms about the 30-day notification policy. Things could get ugly.

It would be hard for you to say that you did not know about it, because it's right there on the form that you signed.

Will they catch it? Probably not.

But, what if they do?

You are putting your CDL, and possibly your job, at risk by not notifying them within 30 days.

Do what you want. I'm just informing people of the laws, and or the rules, such as a the contract.

I can't force you to abide by them, but when you don't follow them, and discipline comes, now it's my job to defend you.

I'm just trying to save a step.

rocket man

You don't have to report it right away because you're not guilty until the court case and if you plead no contest it's no ticket in your car and you just pay a court fine bul:censored2: that's why they do it once a year put your driving record in

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You don't have to report it right away because you're not guilty until the court case

Correct, unless you just pay the ticket. Then you admit guilt and the 30-day clock starts right then.

If you go to court and fight it, the 30-day clock starts when the judge accepts your nolo contendere plea, or when a judge find you guilty if you contested it.

and if you plead no contest it's no ticket in your car and you just pay a court fine bul:censored2:

Incorrect.

The judge could withhold adjudication of guilt, but he doesn't have to.

You may still receive the ticket and points on your driving record.

that's why they do it once a year put your driving record in

No, they do it once a year because if you do not hold a CDL, but drive a commercial motor vehicle, you only have to report it on a yearly basis. Only CDL holders have to report it within 30 days.

trickpony1

Do they really have alligators walking around everywhere in FL?

Given mankind's propensity to kill creatures that cause problems or can create revenue I'm surprised alligators are allowed to co-exist in Florida or anywhere.

I've never been to Florida but I envision pickup trucks full of drunk rednecks rampaging through the swamps and wetlands in search of them there gators to the point of extinction.

Johney

Given mankind's propensity to kill creatures that cause problems or can create revenue I'm surprised alligators are allowed to co-exist in Florida or anywhere.

I've never been to Florida but I envision pickup trucks full of drunk rednecks rampaging through the swamps and wetlands in search of them there gators to the point of extinction.
It's illegal to hunt them without special permits and I believe they only give a few out. Pick up full of Rednecks? Nah, usually an airboat or swamp buggy.