Ground and Express Drivers are EXACTLY Alike!!

vantexan

Thank you vantexan for understanding how business works. Every single one of my employees have come to me Asking for the job, not shackled to it for the fear of their lives. They do get benefits, above averages wages, 3 weeks vacation, and helluva Christmas bonus . I'm sorry if that comes across as an insult to you. Tell them that they work for **** wages and see what they say. I guarantee you they are completely happy as they are definitely not overworked and they are appreciated. Sounds like a happy camp for ALL of us ( except you)

​If you are offering all that good for you. Too many stories out there about $14hr, no benefits, no OT, No paid time off, work 50+hrs and get paid for 40.

Standard pay for my employees 18.75 an hour, I offer them Disability, high deductible insurance paid by me, 3 weeks paid vacation and holiday bonus money. I might add that I have only acquired routes that generate good revenue compared to maintenance expense. Buying any route that comes available sets contractors up for tight margins. There is a successful method to running these ground routes but it also takes patience in acquiring the proper ones to make it work for all employees. I'm not denying that most contractors run there businesses exactly as described in most of these posts but I also know there are a few of us out there that make good money, pay and treat employees well and everyone is happy.

MAKAVELI

Standard pay for my employees 18.75 an hour, I offer them Disability, high deductible insurance paid by me, 3 weeks paid vacation and holiday bonus money. I might add that I have only acquired routes that generate good revenue compared to maintenance expense. Buying any route that comes available sets contractors up for tight margins. There is a successful method to running these ground routes but it also takes patience in acquiring the proper ones to make it work for all employees. I'm not denying that most contractors run there businesses exactly as described in most of these posts but I also know there are a few of us out there that make good money, pay and treat employees well and everyone is happy.
The key word is few. While most ground drivers probably qualify for food stamps and sec 8. Just like at Express, there are a few that make decent money and cake routes. But for the majority of us that just isn't the case.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Ground with good pay, paid vacations and Christmas bonuses?

Definitely a rare exception and far from the rule.

overflowed

I was drinking with a ground driver the other day and he told me his contractor gives him $20 to pick a runner up at home depot for peak everyday. No lie. Can I ask my manager for $20 tomorrow?http://www.sherv.net/center manager/emo/funny/2/mexican.gif

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

BS,BS,BS,BS, and BS with a cherry and sprinkles on top. Prove you are paying this much, because that wage doesn't square with the Ground low-wage structure.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If as his handle implies he is in the Dakotas, that may be what he has to pay to retain drivers.

Maybe, but that means that either the ISP is getting paid more by FedEx so they can offer those kind of wages, OR, the ISP is taking less profit for themselves. Based on what I have seen, the Ground model doesn't work when you pay $18.75 per hour. Ground drivers aren't making that much in NYC or SFO, which are also high cost of living areas, and most Ground drivers don't have CDLs, which are a prerequisite for most driving jobs in the oil fields.

STFXG

MFE, from what you have seen what does the average fedex PSA pay? What are the average profit margins on a Ground or HD route? And why would 18.75 not be possible?

vantexan

I've seen on TV and in print that fast food jobs in Williston, ND, ground central for oil work, were paying $15hr. With extremely high rent, etc they'd have to pay better to keep people. But if Dakotablue is in that situation then it's disingenuous of him to act as if that's typical across the country.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
MFE, from what you have seen what does the average fedex PSA pay? What are the average profit margins on a Ground or HD route? And why would 18.75 not be possible?

Where I live it's $12 per hour to start, or the flat rate salary of $550-$650 per week. Straight truck drivers usually get $100 per week more. It's a joke, because most of them are doing 60 hours.

STFXG

Where I live it's $12 per hour to start, or the flat rate salary of $550-$650 per week. Straight truck drivers usually get $100 per week more. It's a joke, because most of them are doing 60 hours.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant what do you think a single route pays a contractor? And why they wouldn't be able to succeed paying a driver 18.75 per hour. I believe that wage is easily possible. As long as no overtime is offered. Even though that would be over paying for labor.

I can tell you honestly, at my station, the pay is on par with what you say. But no one works 60 hours. Closer to 50 hours for most of the drivers. And many that work under 40 and still get that weekly salary of 550-650. The heavy routes are around 700-800 per week.

And I'm not saying those contractors that grossly underpay don't exist. But they have been slowly getting weeded out over the years because they have problems keeping employees, keeping trucks on the road, and all the other problems that go with running a bad business.