Ground to absorb Express

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
How they keep raising prices, there has to be a point where they do want them.

"Send those packages via another company or pay dearly to send them via us."

They don't "want" that freight but will take it if you're willing to pay through the nose. They'd rather you send it via someone else in most instances.

59 Dano

What do you mean more likely to cause injuries? As soon as amazon hit, injuries went through the roof at all the stations I was at. Grills, mattresses, trampolines divided into 3 or 4 boxes? Nobody would've bought any of this stuff online before. Cost prohibitive.

I mean that, exactly as I said, these kinds of packages are more likely to cause injuries. And, exactly as you observed, they were more likely to cause injuries.

59 Dano

That may be true but when was the last time you looked in the back of a Ground truck? Truck bumpers, backhoe buckets, boat motors, steam jennys , truck transmissions gear heads etc etc. One look in the back of a Ground pickup and that's what most are 3/4 and 1 ton pickup chassis and you'll start questioning X's commitment to deferring that kind of freight. They're no reason to turn it away when worker health and safety liability is all on the contractor.

Who said that either company would defer the freight or turn it away? The shipper can find another carrier, make the efforts needed to adjust package sizes in applicable cases, or pay an arm and a leg to ship via FDX or UPS and pay for improvements to their handling systems.

bacha29

FedEx and UPS don't want oversized and/or irregular packages. Among other things, they don't play well with the sorting systems and are more likely to cause injuries. That's why they're raising oversize/irregular fees and applying them to more packages. Let Schneider have them.
Who said that either company would defer the freight or turn it away? The shipper can find another carrier, make the efforts needed to adjust package sizes in applicable cases, or pay an arm and a leg to ship via FDX or UPS and pay for improvements to their handling systems.
Now which way is it? Do they or do they not want oversized (translation: motor freight stolen off the LTL's ) or don't they? ( Translation: Officially we don't want it but if you pay us a good buck we'll gladly take it because we don't have a nickel's worth of liability resting on the guy who gets permanently disabled trying to drag that stuff around.) One thing about X especially Ground has never changed. They want it both ways because both ways benefits them enormously.

59 Dano

Now which way is it? Do they or do they not want oversized (translation: motor freight stolen off the LTL's ) or don't they? ( Translation: Officially we don't want it but if you pay us a good buck we'll gladly take it because we don't have a nickel's worth of liability resting on the guy who gets permanently disabled trying to drag that stuff around.) One thing about X especially Ground has never changed. They want it both ways because both ways benefits them enormously.

I don't know why this is so confusing for you.

bacha29

I don't know why this is so confusing for you.
It's not a matter of confusion. It's a matter of direct contradiction. I think we can sum it all up this way at least as it pertains to Ground. While there are stated weight and dimension limits X is so lax in enforcement of those limitations that for all intents and purposes they don't exist. Why? Again as it pertains to Ground despite the fact that Ground has total control over every move that delivery service provider makes they have absolutely no liability when it comes to the safety and well being of that provider.

59 Dano

It's not a matter of confusion. It's a matter of direct contradiction.

There's nothing contradictory about it. There's certain types of freight they'd rather you ship via another carrier. If you insist, however, be prepared to pay through the nose.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It's not a matter of confusion. It's a matter of direct contradiction. I think we can sum it all up this way at least as it pertains to Ground. While there are stated weight and dimension limits X is so lax in enforcement of those limitations that for all intents and purposes they don't exist. Why? Again as it pertains to Ground despite the fact that Ground has total control over every move that delivery service provider makes they have absolutely no liability when it comes to the safety and well being of that provider.
If Fedex's position and demands are so onerous, why is ANYONE contracting with them? Unless, of course, the (in)dependent contractor is simply passing on the shortcomings to their employees. Hire a lawyer to represent multiple contractors as a Class to negotiate the terms.
:group-hug:

TUT

"Send those packages via another company or pay dearly to send them via us."

They don't "want" that freight but will take it if you're willing to pay through the nose. They'd rather you send it via someone else in most instances.

Not pointing at you, just the logic of the company if true.

Fedex - We only want the easy one's and even if we keep raising our prices sharply on these special services each year, we still don't want it. Who's the dumb one now? A. You. B. Us. C. Both?

vantexan

Fedex - We only want the easy one's and even if we keep raising our prices sharply on these special services each year, we still don't want it. Who's the dumb one now? A. You. B. Us. C. Both?
Why I believe you've discovered the very essence of FedEx!!:youreright:

59 Dano

What's the issue with the logic? If FedEx really wanted those packages, why are they penalizing those who send them and offering to show them how to avoid those penalties?

TUT

What's the issue with the logic? If FedEx really wanted those packages, why are they penalizing those who send them and offering to show them how to avoid those penalties?

I don't understand the words you write "Why are they(Fedex) penalizing those(shippers) who send them and offering them how to avoid those penalties?".

Ok I have a 20 lb package residential. Who should I use?
I have a 40lb residential. Who should I use?
I have a fireplace cover that is oversized, who should I use?
I have a 10 lb COD, who should I use?
Do you want DG and HazMat? Or is that too much a pain in the ass to? If not, who else?
Saturday Delivery, another pain in the ass I reckon?

These packages are still cheaper to send out small pkg carrier vs LTL.

Fedex offers these services and really doesn't even want them? Interesting. Then raise the price even more, to the point you want them with an evil grin. Don't keep raising prices and say you don't want them.

Your sales team isn't showing me other ways and are frothing for me to send them Fedex.

It will be fine

I don't understand the words you write "Why are they(Fedex) penalizing those(shippers) who send them and offering them how to avoid those penalties?".

Do you want DG and HazMat? Or is that too much a pain in the ass to? If not, who else?

Fedex offers these services and really doesn't even want them? Interesting. Then raise the price even more, to the point you want them with an evil grin. Don't keep raising prices and say you don't want them.

Your sales team isn't showing me other ways and are frothing for me to send them Fedex.
Sales wants anything they can get their hands on. Everyone else in the organization may not want to deal with it though. I have a lot of problems with sales. They promise the world and expect me to deliver without compensation.

bacha29

Sales wants anything they can get their hands on. Everyone else in the organization may not want to deal with it though. I have a lot of problems with sales. They promise the world and expect me to deliver without compensation.
Salesman get paid for selling and given that many sales are secured over the phone that in house salesman doesn't care what it is the shipper has to ship as long as they can put another sales notch in their holster . That's where your lack of oversight often originates. The shipper is expected to police himself. Good luck with that and as long as X can somehow get that piece of motor freight down that incompatible line it's all good with them. And oh heaven forbid it the driver refuses to take that piece and leaves it behind.

TUT

Sales are selling Fedex services and are the conduit to your customers, if Fedex doesn't want them they should abandoned them. Since they don't, all this is guessing on what they really want or not, or what a station wants or doesn't, or a person wants or doesn't, that to me is people feeling the part of a job being a job. It's work. Not everything is ideal for you.

They raise these accessorial rates (exactly like UPS) each year. People not in the position to speak as Fedex keep saying they still don't want them. There has to be a price they do and it has to be here or damn close.

So what is going to happen? This is comedy here... the carrier will get it to a price they want finally, but that will then be too high. The customers will find another way and with the lost business, now Fedex (UPS to) will drop the prices on these services to get these packages back. CONFIRMING: THEY DO WANT THOSE PACKAGES! You have to admit that is how the world spins and can totally see that happening.

If there was ever a price put out there to make shippers go elsewhere for these packages, for most that elsewhere is LTL. My gosh, they could still raise the prices a lot, because today it is still out of sight sending a small singular package to a residence LTL. At some point these additional service fees would have to be considered the gold stamped money winners that carriers would convent the most, not the easy low margin B2B ones.

So what is next on the horizon, Fedex has stated publicly they are now targeting more profitable small and medium sized customers. So what's the next complaint? Too many small sized pickups, it is killing us, we can't manage it, we don't really want those either. But that is what Fedex brass is saying they want. I have to go with the O-Razer part, what looks to be the simplest answer is usually the correct one, Fedex wants those packages and loves those additional fee's, those services and prices are coming from the top of Fedex.

Last edited:

59 Dano

I was talking about oversize packages each of the half-dozen or so times I've addressed the topic.

USPS. Lasership and other similar shippers.

If I told you I'd paint your house for $50/hour, 25 hour minimum, plus the cost of supplies, do you think I really want to paint your house?

And?

59 Dano

They raise these accessorial rates (exactly like UPS) each year. People not in the position to speak as Fedex keep saying they still don't want them. There has to be a price they do and it has to be here or damn close.

So what is going to happen? This is comedy here... the carrier will get it to a price they want finally, but that will then be too high. The customers will find another way and with the lost business, now Fedex (UPS to) will drop the prices on these services to get these packages back. CONFIRMING: THEY DO WANT THOSE PACKAGES! You have to admit that is how the world spins and can totally see that happening.

Right. They'll just overlook all the problems that come with those packages! Such as, damage done to FedEx equipment, damage done to the packages, damage done to the contents of the packages, and injuries.

If there was ever a price put out there to make shippers go elsewhere for these packages, for most that elsewhere is LTL. My gosh, they could still raise the prices a lot, because today it is still out of sight sending a small singular package to a residence LTL. At some point these additional service fees would have to be considered the gold stamped money winners that carriers would convent the most, not the easy low margin B2B ones.

There's this thing called the United States Postal Service...

So what is next on the horizon, Fedex has stated publicly they are now targeting more profitable small and medium sized customers. So what's the next complaint? Too many small sized pickups, it is killing us, we can't manage it, we don't really want those either. But that is what Fedex brass is saying they want. I have to go with the O-Razer part, what looks to be the simplest answer is usually the correct one, Fedex wants those packages and loves those additional fee's, those services and prices are coming from the top of Fedex.

Not surprisingly, the most adamant opinion on the comes from the participant who is the least involved in the industry!

MAKAVELI

Right. They'll just overlook all the problems that come with those packages! Such as, damage done to FedEx equipment, damage done to the packages, damage done to the contents of the packages, and injuries.
USPS size and weight limits are less than FedEx.........

There's this thing called the United States Postal Service...

Not surprisingly, the most adamant opinion on the comes from the participant who is the least involved in the industry!
USPS size and weight limits are less than FedEx.......

bacha29

USPS size and weight limits are less than FedEx.......
Right and consider also the fact that when dealing " boulder in a box" size stuff X has to send a guy out to help the driver pull it off. Not the case with FXG. That's the contractors problem. Smith said himself in his annual address a few years back that Ground was going to haul heavier boxes. And the news was music to the ears of leaf spring manufacturers.