Guaranteed Fair Treatment (GFT)

hypo hanna

Well he needs to go just to show he went through he internal process. He should say nothing that might injure his case. These GFTs are about fact finding for the company's lawyers to bolster a potential defense.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well he needs to go just to show he went through he internal process. He should say nothing that might injure his case. These GFTs are about fact finding for the company's lawyers to bolster a potential defense.

Correct. You need to go through the process, even if it's a complete joke, to show that you protested and followed procedures. However, you need to have already been in contact with an employment/labor lawyer to advise you on what to say. FedEx wants you to incriminate yourself either verbally or preferably, in a statement. The GFT is all about getting you to provide the facts FedEx will then use against you. As hypohanna says, you don't want to say anything that will adversely affect your case. It's unfortunate, but you probably will have to get fired before an attorney will do anything but advise you. That's when your case truly begins.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
Well other than what Upstate said, I have never said that FedEx employees should be happy with their pay. I've also never said they shouldn't be either. As I have said before, show me an employee at any company that doesn't want to make more money. I'm topped out and I'd love to make $30/hour but as I've also said before, I'm personally not willing to risk what I have now for a few extra $$/hour. It's quite possible that while my pay may go up with a union, I'd also have to work harder (see Upstate's post), I might lose other benefits that are important to me or they might cost me more. Then again, I might get everything I want. The point is that I'm pretty happy with my job and I don't think the risk/reward is worth it. For anyone that thinks that a union at FedEx is simply going to increase pay, they need to go out and do some research.

Unlike you, I don't spin things. Just because you don't like what I say doesn't mean I'm spinning it. As I've repeatedly said but you repeatedly ignore, I don't really care if someone is pro- or anti-union or pro- or anti-FedEx, I just hope that they are smart enough to do some research and not listen just to you or just to me. I think that if they do that, most people will come to the conclusion that a union isn't for them. Just my opinion.
Didn't non-union employees lose spouse benefits?

MAKAVELI

Well other than what Upstate said, I have never said that FedEx employees should be happy with their pay. I've also never said they shouldn't be either. As I have said before, show me an employee at any company that doesn't want to make more money. I'm topped out and I'd love to make $30/hour but as I've also said before, I'm personally not willing to risk what I have now for a few extra $$/hour. It's quite possible that while my pay may go up with a union, I'd also have to work harder (see Upstate's post), I might lose other benefits that are important to me or they might cost me more. Then again, I might get everything I want. The point is that I'm pretty happy with my job and I don't think the risk/reward is worth it. For anyone that thinks that a union at FedEx is simply going to increase pay, they need to go out and do some research.

Unlike you, I don't spin things. Just because you don't like what I say doesn't mean I'm spinning it. As I've repeatedly said but you repeatedly ignore, I don't really care if someone is pro- or anti-union or pro- or anti-FedEx, I just hope that they are smart enough to do some research and not listen just to you or just to me. I think that if they do that, most people will come to the conclusion that a union isn't for them. Just my opinion.
Didn't non-union employees lose spouse benefits?
You are correct.
I'd also have to work harder (see Upstate's post), I might lose other benefits that are important to me or they might cost me more. All this quadro if you haven't noticed is happening, without union representation and more $.

Bailey4

I was in a similar situation where I was hurt (not on the job) but was told I had to exhaust my sick days before I was able to go on leave without pay. Upon my return, the senior tried to write me up for attendance on the sick days that they made me exhaust, fortunately the Fedex rep I had to deal with to get cleared to come back to work had mentioned to me this tidbit: If you are off more than a single day for the same thing....it counts as 1 incident ...no more. Not 5 or 4 or 3 days....just 1 if its for the same issue. My manager acted stunned but when I said the Fedex rep that had to clear me told me it was policy and in the people manager....the manager picked up the policy book, opened it read first page and said your right. Then stated they had been instructed by the senior to take the action and they would email the senior that he was wrong. HMMM..I suspect they knew all along. Unless the policy has been changed......it counts as 1 strike.

hypo hanna

I was in a similar situation where I was hurt (not on the job) but was told I had to exhaust my sick days before I was able to go on leave without pay. Upon my return, the senior tried to write me up for attendance on the sick days that they made me exhaust, fortunately the Fedex rep I had to deal with to get cleared to come back to work had mentioned to me this tidbit: If you are off more than a single day for the same thing....it counts as 1 incident ...no more. Not 5 or 4 or 3 days....just 1 if its for the same issue. My manager acted stunned but when I said the Fedex rep that had to clear me told me it was policy and in the people manager....the manager picked up the policy book, opened it read first page and said your right. Then stated they had been instructed by the senior to take the action and they would email the senior that he was wrong. HMMM..I suspect they knew all along. Unless the policy has been changed......it counts as 1 strike.

They do this sort of thing with policy all the time. They count on employees not reading the P&P manual. When they get caught its always the same old sweep it under the rug, no by deal attitude. Just another reason why we need union representation.

StuffItFred

They do this sort of thing with policy all the time. They count on employees not reading the P&P manual. When they get caught its always the same old sweep it under the rug, no by deal attitude. Just another reason why we need union representation.

​Who here has access to the P&P manual at their station? Just curious........:-)

Guapo

143 stops, 461 pkgs, 28 pickup stops, 100 pkgs, 50 miles, full lunch/break, punch out by 1820.

I know you want UPS pay but do you want UPS work?

NO, I don't want ups pay or work...I want fedex work at fedex TOP PAY in reasonable amount of time should be 5 years I'd accept 10 years... Hail even DHL topped out usually in 10 years (BEFORE THE LAY OFF)

StuffItFred

Online on FedEx intranet. Tell your mgr you need access.

I know how to get access. I was really wanting to know who here has access. There are NO computers at our station for couriers to use. There is supposed to be a printed and updated manual in our station in the "couriers information area." That manual has surprisingly disappeared. Most newer couriers don't even know there is such a thing.

Hate 150lb Packages

You have no clue do you? You are giving people legal advice when you clearly don't have all the facts. You have absolutely no idea if this should have been an FMLA absence. Not everyone qualifies for FMLA and rather than ask some questions to where you might actually be able to offer some sound advice, you recommend that this employee go and get an attorney.

How is he giving legal advice??? He is advising him to get legal counsel from a specialized attorney, after getting fired for reasons that don't quite look proper. Perfectly sound advice to me.

Your advice on the other hand, contained this statement.

then in all likelihood

That's not a statement I'd want in advice given to me if I was unfairly terminated. I'd go with an attorney. Good luck with GFT.

One of my good friends went through GFT today after a manager gave him a letter for attendance (after legitimately being sick on multiple occasions - with Doctors notes).

My friend refused to sign the letter saying that it was unpreventable and him was legitimately out each day. The manager called in another manager to sign the letter. My friend subsequently filed for a GFT. The accusing manager was pissed.

My station manager heard the case with HR and made the accusing manager tell my friend why he was not getting a letter. The accusing manager was pissed and my friend was off the hook. :happy-very:

They system worked! ****ty manager looked like an idiot and will hopefully be reprimanded.

I gained a little faith in FedEx today. The obvious bull**** doesn't slip.

Any other GFT success stories?
yeah..but not good...check this out... WARNER v. FEDERAL EXPRESS | 174 friend.Supp.2d 215 (2001) | pp2d2151370 | Leagle.com

MassWineGuy

I’m no lawyer, either. But I’d consult a good one if I thought I’d been fired without cause or for a fishy reason. I kind of dream about catching FedEx in some very improper action, then “reluctantly” accepting their settlement offer.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I’m no lawyer, either. But I’d consult a good one if I thought I’d been fired without cause or for a fishy reason. I kind of dream about catching FedEx in some very improper action, then “reluctantly” accepting their settlement offer.

More necroposting. Your chances without a lawyer are slim. Yes, FedEx has paid out some big settlements for very improper actions, but it needs to be blatant and probably racial and/or sexist to go anywhere in the big $$$ category.

Bottom line: If you want to keep your crappy FedEx job (why?), pay a lawyer for a consultation (often free), or have them write a letter on your behalf indicating that you have intent to take legal action. Guaranteed it will get attention, but won't necessarily save your job. At least you won't be ignored.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Bottom line: If you want to keep your crappy FedEx job (why?), pay a lawyer for a consultation (often free), or have them write a letter on your behalf indicating that you have intent to take legal action. Guaranteed it will get attention, but won't necessarily save your job. At least you won't be ignored.

Or go through the GFT process and, as it works today, you probably win unless it's an ACP issue, and you still stand a good chance of winning unless it's a serious ACP issue.

MassWineGuy

What is ACP? And what is necroposting?

I agree with Dano. At least see how the official process works out. Locate a lawyer simultaneously.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
What is ACP? And what is necroposting?

I agree with Dano. At least see how the official process works out. Locate a lawyer simultaneously.
ACP = acceptable conduct policy, things that can get you fired like falsification, theft, fighting, etc. You're an at-will employee in most states and they can fire you for any reason (or no reason at all) outside of the big no-nos like race, religion, etc.

In reality, a decent employee who mans up and takes responsibility for whatever action it is that gets him fired stands a good chance of winning his GFT assuming it's not a big conduct or integrity issue.

DeliveryException

In any case the case listed seems to be a non-starter, going by the facts stated. The courier didn't like the SPH and asked for a ride along, got one and then the manager or whoever rode along noticed "discrepancies"(falsifying) in the way the courier was doing their job. So they were let go. Then the foul cry changed to age discrimination. The court seems to ruled correctly based on what the documents show. They lied about stuff and were fired. Age doesn't seem to come in to the equation.