Guard Shack, Guns, Security

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I brought a gun in to work recently. No joke, I needed to send it back to the factory for warranty repair so I boxed it up on my lunch break (I live on route) brought it back to the building, and left it on my center manager's desk so that she could walk it over to the customer counter for me the next day. Didnt get fired, either.

Speaking of getting fired...where in the contract does it say that bringing a gun onto UPS property is grounds for immediate termination? The contract makes no mention of guns as a cardinal infraction, therefore it seems that progressive discipline would apply.

upschuck

I brought a gun in to work recently. No joke, I needed to send it back to the factory for warranty repair so I boxed it up on my lunch break (I live on route) brought it back to the building, and left it on my center manager's desk so that she could walk it over to the customer counter for me the next day. Didnt get fired, either.
Packaged up in a box. We do deliver guns. I see them every day.

Speaking of getting fired...where in the contract does it say that bringing a gun onto UPS property is grounds for immediate termination? The contract makes no mention of guns as a cardinal infraction, therefore it seems that progressive discipline would apply.
Has that ever stopped them before?

phox1515

security at ups is a big joke... at our hub we have the guard shack that ups employee go through... then next to it a big open gate that customers drive through, park nearby and go into the customer area (or somewhere else if they wanted to), notice I didn;t mention any security check for customers..... they go right past the guard shack with their car, no stopping, nothing! so worried about me bringing my phone into the hub and yet don't think about the customers who might take a bomb or something right into the hub.

fiddledee

security at ups is a big jokenotice I didn;t mention any security check for customers..... they go right past the guard shack with their car, no stopping, nothing! so worried about me bringing my phone into the hub and yet don't think about the customers who might take a bomb or something right into the hub.

customers don't normally go in and handle other customers packages for four hours before they leave. Does anyone really expect ups to search customers when there have been no problems with them? upsers on the other hand are stealing iphones and others every chance they get.Once LP discovers customers have found a way to steal other customers packages they will then start searching them.

OPTION3

customers don't normally go in and handle other customers packages for four hours before they leave. Does anyone really expect ups to search customers when there have been no problems with them? upsers on the other hand are stealing iphones and others every chance they get.Once LP discovers customers have found a way to steal other customers packages they will then start searching them.
Once again…only thinking about money….you must be in LP. I guess there aren't a LOT of peeved customers over the TOTAL failure of our management of peak this year…Also I'm sure there are ZERO unhappy customers trying to get a claim paid out. So by your(and management) logic we wait for an unhappy customer to come in with an assault weapon BEFORE we do something about it…..LUNACY

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

Iiiiii, not sure I would do that again.
holy cow!
Keep it out of the premises.

jaker

trolling
Iiiiii, not sure I would do that again.
holy cow!
Keep it out of the premises.
He brought a gun to the hub with a label on it and in a box , not in his hands or on his hip

So what do you tell your customers who return guns , That you not going to take it or even better what do you do when you have to deliver a gun not deliver it because you are scared

Know the rules , use the rules

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
He brought a gun to the hub with a label on it and in a box , not in his hands or on his hip

So what do you tell your customers who return guns , That you not going to take it or even better what do you do when you have to deliver a gun not deliver it because you are scared

Know the rules , use the rules
Think about it, there are different rules for employees than customers. The employees are banned from bringing guns into the workplace and customer's can bring guns into a customer counter. A UPS Employee should bring the gun into the customer counter to be shipped, not into the workplace to be shipped. I would imagine SoberUPS is known to his local management and to Corporate and if they ever decide they have had enough of his harassment, this would be swift and easy to boot him out the door. Sometimes you need to use a little foresight and common sense which includes not trusting anyone.

phox1515

that's the kind of thinking that gets you in trouble. waiting until something bad happens to have preventive measures. isn't that how 98% of the terrorist attacks in the usa alone have happened? didn't do :censored2: to prevent it or protect us from them until they happen, then all the sudden security is boosted, and EVERYONE gets searched... too bad the problem already happened. if companies like ups actually looked at history (i'm not really talking about the kind you learn in school) they might learn something.

OPTION3

that's the kind of thinking that gets you in trouble. waiting until something bad happens to have preventive measures. isn't that how 98% of the terrorist attacks in the usa alone have happened? didn't do :censored2: to prevent it or protect us from them until they happen, then all the sudden security is boosted, and EVERYONE gets searched... too bad the problem already happened. if companies like ups actually looked at history (i'm not really talking about the kind you learn in school) they might learn something.
It's a DOLLAR thing…….it costs MONEY to be safe

phox1515

It costs even more money when the lack of safety lets a major accident happen. How much do you think it would cost UPS if an irritate customer was to bring a bomb into a hub, or even multiple hubs and even go on a shootout at one... I bet it would cost a whole lot more than it would to have the customers go through security just like employees, or better yet install locking doors on employee only areas, either pin code or security card. the cost of extra security is not nearly as much as the consequences of lack of security, especially with major shipping companies, it's just a matter of time before something happens. even having ALL employees (not just drivers and helpers) wear uniforms would make a difference because then you could spot who was an employee or not, still wouldn't prevent a shootout, but it would prevent 100 other crimes that could occur from a customer.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
We have a guard shack and fences. It would be hard to get a gun through there. Doesnt mean someone couldnt toss a gun over a fence and get it later. And these guys are unarmed. It would be a breeze to roll up with a firearm and... well you know.

I would never do so, just stating it would be too easy.

The PC at the end of my preload set gets guns for a Wal-mart. Ar-15s, 243. Win bolt acion riles with scopes and other cals. Various types of shot guns, ammo etc etc. Have had a few open in the past, and dealt with retaping them. I also do pull them out and look at them, because I'm a gun nut.

We have cops walking around every now and again. But their looking for certain packages with drugs in them only.

FilingBluesFL

I brought an UZI in one time that I sold on gunbroker lol Left it in the on-roads office until it was time for sort. "What is that?" "Something I sold online, got a printed label on it already." "Oh, so what is it?" "An UZI." "Oh, that's nice."

You reach into open boxes and remove the contents?

Bye, bye ORLY.

Seems to me like the if the package is damaged enough for the product inside to be protruding from it, that a preliminary quick inspection of the item would be necessary to determine if the package should be returned to the shipper to prevent the customer from receiving a damaged package, thereby keeping UPS's "Reputation" intact, as stated on the multiple posters left around the building.

As we all know, when a package breaks open, there are times when there is an obstruction in the box preventing it from just "sliding back in" for a simple tape-up.

J

jibbs

You reach into open boxes and remove the contents?

Bye, bye ORLY.

Seems to me like the if the package is damaged enough for the product inside to be protruding from it, that a preliminary quick inspection of the item would be necessary to determine if the package should be returned to the shipper to prevent the customer from receiving a damaged package, thereby keeping UPS's "Reputation" intact, as stated on the multiple posters left around the building.

As we all know, when a package breaks open, there are times when there is an obstruction in the box preventing it from just "sliding back in" for a simple tape-up.

For the past couple months my supervisor's had us sending open boxes straight to the damages area, regardless of just how "open" they are. Our building's got a theft problem (not sure how big it is, to be honest) and this guy told us not to load a "****in' thing" if it's even got a flap up. Send it down the belt and it'll end up in the damages area where open packages are now being checked to make sure the contents match the packing slip before being retaped and carted to their destination at the end of the shift. It's a hassle but it's pretty much eliminated retaping on the belt, so there's that.