guns

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If the goal was to save lives we would treat firearms like we do motor vehicles.
It has been my experience that most people who advocate the "treat guns like cars" argument are being dishonest.

They dont actually want guns to be treated like cars, because once you have jumped through the hoops and paid the fees to get a drivers license and insure and register your car, you then have rights associated with that car. And that is the last thing anti-gun folks want.

What these people actually want...is to subject gun owners to all the hassles, expense, time, and effort of car ownership and licensure without giving them any priveleges at whatsoever.

Their goal is not safety. Their goal is to make the entire process of gun ownership so expensive, so burdensome, and so riddled with arbitrary bureaucratic hurdles that only the priveleged elites are able to actually exercise their "rights" at all.

Sportello

@soberups, I really think you are wrong. You said treat gun safety like sex, I think that is a poor analogy. We aren't born with a firearm, and don't require one to have a family.

My point being, that at one time we had a problem with vehicular fatalities, and we have instituted regulations that have reduced that considerably. Some common sense approaches can do the same with firearms.

You can't actually tell be you believe that the Framers foresaw personal weapons that were capable of killing dozens of people in seconds?

I think that this editorial by Justice John Paul Stevens makes a lot of sense, I'd be interested in your take on it:

The five extra words that can fix the Second Amendment

floridays

It has been my experience that most people who advocate the "treat guns like cars" argument are being dishonest.

They dont actually want guns to be treated like cars, because once you have jumped through the hoops and paid the fees to get a drivers license and insure and register your car, you then have rights associated with that car. And that is the last thing anti-gun folks want.

What these people actually want...is to subject gun owners to all the hassles, expense, time, and effort of car ownership and licensure without giving them any priveleges at whatsoever.

Their goal is not safety. Their goal is to make the entire process of gun ownership so expensive, so burdensome, and so riddled with arbitrary bureaucratic hurdles that only the priveleged elites are able to actually exercise their "rights" at all.
Excellent analysis. Truth

Babagounj

Strength through joy
@soberups, I really think you are wrong. You said treat gun safety like sex, I think that is a poor analogy. We aren't born with a firearm, and don't require one to have a family.

My point being, that at one time we had a problem with vehicular fatalities, and we have instituted regulations that have reduced that considerably. Some common sense approaches can do the same with firearms.

You can't actually tell be you believe that the Framers foresaw personal weapons that were capable of killing dozens of people in seconds?

I think that this editorial by Justice John Paul Stevens makes a lot of sense, I'd be interested in your take on it:

The five extra words that can fix the Second Amendment
You are assuming that there is something wrong with the 2nd Amendment .
While I see nothing wrong . Thus your view point is moot .

wayfair

swollen member
Driving a motor vehicle on a public road is a privelege.
Owning a gun is a Constitutional right.

You can own any vehicle without a license, just got to operate it on private property... same as guns...
Now operating it on public property, you need a license. Same with CC you need a license to carry in public unless you live in a state that has Contitutional carry laws

It will be fine

I don't understand the violent video games leading to violence argument. I think causality is flipped, violent people are drawn to violence.
I think a big problem that I never hear addressed is hunting. People go out in the woods and kill animals for pleasure. It normalizes killing. It's messed up.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I used to feed my family fresh venison that was so tender you could cut it with a fork. Wild game is a lot healthier meat than that stuff you buy in the cute little styrofoam trays full of growth hormones and other chemicals ranchers use to fatten up animals. I also ran a cattle business with my family at that time.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That he knows some hunters?
Exactly the opposite.
I know many hunters and they have freezers full of deer and other dead animals.
They don't buy meat from the store often.
Like I said, not my cup of tea but other than a couple of more well to do big game hunters, none of these people do it for fun.
Just because they are proud of their marksmanship and safety doesn't mean they enjoy it.
Many people have this problem of understanding other's motives and emotions, if it is not something in which they have participated.

Last edited: