Hand trucks

Stopher

Having a hand truck is becoming a serious issue in my hub. There are none. There is probably 1 for every 3 routes. Now that ups is a furniture delivery company they have now become a necessity. Despite many complaints management refuses to comply. They don't want us in driveways but but refuse to provide us with them. It's gotten so bad that people r just taking them right out of fully loaded trucks. I'm sick and tired of scouring the building every morning to find one to many times no luck. Ever notice how every ups store has several and they claim to to be theirs? I'm gonna start taking them.

BrownTexas

What's your address? I'll ship you the set in my pc. Still in the bag.
I'd leave everything heavy in their driveway. Then when I have a bulk stop, I would carry the packages in 2-3 at a time, taking however long it may take. And when they complain I would tell them "I have requested a hand truck and have yet to receive one. I'm doing the best I can."

Stopher

Na. Thinkin bout just starting to leave them at the mailbox. Tired of trying to figure out how to drag a Bow flex up a driveway.

rod

Retired 22 years
Back in the day I've know drivers who bought one at a hardware store out of their COD money and turned in a petty cash slip. Why hasn't anyone got the Union working on the problem? According to your contract UPS has to furnish you with the tools to do your job.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Article 18, section 14, last paragraph of the National Master agreement:

"A package car will be equipped with a hand cart at the driver's request."

Start filing grievances. The language doesn't get any clearer than that.

542thruNthru

To be honest depending on how large your building is. I'd disappear and not pick up my phone then come back to my truck at about 1030. When they asked what I was doing. I'd say "I was looking for a hand cart. Can't do my job safely without one. Need to use existing tools and equipment "

Stopher

All good posts. It just causes problems though and management is vindictive. Growing more tired everyday fighting with them cause it falls on deaf ears. I'm not 21 anymore and after 9 years of doing this they body doesn't work like it used to. I've been griping bout this for years and nothing changes. They flat out don't give a :censored2:.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
It blows my mind that they can spend a billion dollars on a failure of a delivery system but can't equip ALL package cars with a two-wheeler.

Indecisi0n

All good posts. It just causes problems though and management is vindictive. Growing more tired everyday fighting with them cause it falls on deaf ears. I'm not 21 anymore and after 9 years of doing this they body doesn't work like it used to. I've been griping bout this for years and nothing changes. They flat out don't give a :censored2:.
They continue to :censored2: you because you don't handle it properly. Sheet the packages missed if you don't get help. If they tell you to make the delivery then out right refuse. It's a safety concern. Until you make it their problem it won't get fixed.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Inde is right. Also call for driver assistance for anything too heavy. Make them come out and help you carry it. You'll have a shiny new hand truck in no time

oldngray

nowhere special
Remember those folding rollers for unloading over 70's from package cars? The ones that were supposed to exist I mean. UPS promised them as one of the conditions in the agreement to end the strike when UPS raised weight limit to 150 pounds. My center had 1 for show but none for actual use and that 1 disappeared. Probably to demonstrate in another center.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
If you were to injure yourself on area trying to lift or carry an OS or OW package, the first thing they would say is you didn't use the proper lifting techniques that you were taught.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
File grievances and sheet as "missed" any package you cant safely deliver without a handtruck. Repeat daily. They will flat out start giving a :censored2: real quick.

clean hairy

To be honest depending on how large your building is. I'd disappear and not pick up my phone then come back to my truck at about 1030. When they asked what I was doing. I'd say "I was looking for a hand cart. Can't do my job safely without one. Need to use existing tools and equipment "
Be cautious on that one.
They could presume you abandoned your job and quit.
Unless your job consists of looking for hand trucks.
Best to inform them you require a hand truck. and the sooner you get one the sooner you can start your route.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I never had the volumn to require the use of a 2-wheeler, but in the building I worked in, they have a 20' container outside the building that you can put your 2-wheeler in there and lock it to a built in horizontal bar using your own padlock. In the past, people used to lock them to handrails or anything solid, but it started getting in the way of maintenance, so they got the container. If you don't lock them up, they will sure grow legs and walk away. lol.