Hard card IDs

automaticP1300

Were all of you issued the hard card ID a few years back? Its white with the UPS logo, your name, district, and picture on the front. Just curious, because a our center they issued them for drivers for all classes before mine. When my class went through, they took our pictures, but we never got the IDs. They said they quit making them "due to cost." The thing is though, that all of the suits get them, even the newbie college graduates with an IE job. So now we're back to the old flimsy laminated ones. My issue is that I cover many routes in our downtown area, and when I enter alot of these buildings, I have to give them my driver's liscense to obtain a keycard (cause my fake looking company ID is not good enough). Just wondering if yall were issued these.

outamyway

I started in late 05 and I was issued a laminated one. Funny thing is they laminated it before I could sign my name. So the sig line is blank.The picture was also taken at 3 in the morning before I was even close to being used to that schedule, so I look pretty much asleep.

automaticP1300

I went to HR and told them I was having issues with some security. I'm told the official IDs come from Atlanta, so I'd have to have pretty good reason. Is this not good enough? I just think its laughable that DHL, Fedex, and every other mom and pop company display their IDs, but we don't.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I lost my good clip-on ID, and I have been using a tempory Hub photo ID an HR person took a year ago. They also don't give us name tags anymore. Apparently, we can't get them in Atlanta as an hourly.

satellitedriver

Were all of you issued the hard card ID a few years back? Its white with the UPS logo, your name, district, and picture on the front. Just curious, because a our center they issued them for drivers for all classes before mine. When my class went through, they took our pictures, but we never got the IDs. They said they quit making them "due to cost." The thing is though, that all of the suits get them, even the newbie college graduates with an IE job. So now we're back to the old flimsy laminated ones. My issue is that I cover many routes in our downtown area, and when I enter alot of these buildings, I have to give them my driver's liscense to obtain a keycard (cause my fake looking company ID is not good enough). Just wondering if yall were issued these.

You hand over your drivers liscense?
No Freakin' way!
They just will not get their deliveries.
This problem could be easily solved if you asked to borrow your center manager's DL so you could make a delivery.

SmithBarney

IDs.. LOL never seen one... although I did get my picture taken once.
it musta been for the Center Managers photo album...

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire

Don't have id's? Man, we can't get past the guard house in the morning without ours. Well, we can on Fridays, the guard is always asleep on Friday morning.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

LOL...here they issue photo ID's to all UPS employees--hourly and management. Ours are the hard ID's mentioned in a few posts. I worked in an Illinois hub with the laminated ones. I guess the ones we have here are a little harder to fake. -Rocky

the_hobbit

Professional Box Thrower
yea its the same in missouri district for downtown st. louis, all employees get the hard card id's cant get past the gaurds half the time with that one even lol

cast

The Post Office I delivered to when I used to be a cover driver wanted ID, I asked our center mgr. and he took a digital picture and sent it somewhere and in 3 days I had an id card. About 5 months later everyone got them.

SmithBarney

Don't have id's? Man, we can't get past the guard house in the morning without ours. Well, we can on Fridays, the guard is always asleep on Friday morning.

Nope, no guards either.. small center 30routes.
doors open/unlocked all day, package cars left outside
during reload with packages(send agains) in them.
Customers just wander in during the sorts too..
no fences no gates... nothing..

ikoi62

i used to work in a building just like that, was the best building i ever worked in. then they closed it.

wornoutupser

It is the same in my building. No security, customers eveywhere all the time, package cars outside with doors unlocked,empty trailers wide open.
We did get the hard ID cards way back but we were never given the clips that you clip them on with.We were told that the clips cost too much for UPS to buy them. Imagine that!
I only know of 1 driver that bought his own clip. Other than this driver, I have not seen one of those cards in a long time. Mine lives in my pocket saver.

Cole

LOL about the sup's, the contract says "they will wear identification when they're on duty, so if they're not, then they must not be on duty. I told that to one that did an observation on me one day. So I asked him why, if he's on duty, wasn't he properly identified etc...He didn't like that too much. He was with ie and had seen me and a former center manager getting into it that morning, so I guess he thought he would do an observation ride and show me, and he even said "you're the one who was giving (former managers name) a hard time this morning", so I simply stated I am a steward and it's my duty to let them know when our contract is being violated.

Ok I have A.D.D., to the thread topic: They had us take id's a few yrs ago, right as we came in from working 10-12 hrs. so we all looked rough. Then I guess they scrapped the need for them, because they never asked to see them again. We don't have a fenced in bldg so that may be why it's not required as some centers.

local804

LOL about the sup's, the contract says "they will wear identification when they're on duty, so if they're not, then they must not be on duty. I told that to one that did an observation on me one day. So I asked him why, if he's on duty, wasn't he properly identified etc...He didn't like that too much. He was with ie and had seen me and a former center manager getting into it that morning, so I guess he thought he would do an observation ride and show me, and he even said "you're the one who was giving (former managers name) a hard time this morning", so I simply stated I am a steward and it's my duty to let them know when our contract is being violated.

Its pretty funny how all of a sudden an obsevation ride is warranted when a simple question is asked. No matter what the topic, (safety,flavor of the month, ect ect)they still seem to use an ojs/observation as a revenge motive. They wonder why company morale is in the gutter.