Have anyone heard that Amazon is disgruntled about UPS?

bbsam

Staff member
There seem to always be some level the of such rumblings. I wouldn't give it too much thought. But I wouldn't let them be 30% of my business either.

bluehdmc

There seem to always be some level the of such rumblings. I wouldn't give it too much thought. But I wouldn't let them be 30% of my business either.

How can you stop letting them be 30% of your business? (if they are, although UPS does a lot of Amazon volume)
Refuse the work?
Do you think FedEx would refuse the volume?

bbsam

Staff member
30% is a made up number. Whatever number it is, you reduce it by winning more volume back from your competition.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
Amazon has the money to buy UPS. Amazon has zero experience with union workers so they would be very reluctant. Amazon isn't disgruntled with UPS they don't like the grip the union has on the company. Since FEDX express and ground mirror rate increases with UPS the key to lower shipping cost (the heart soul and core of Amazons business model) is to break UPS unionized workers.

cino321

I don't believe Amazon has the assets to buy UPS. I also do not believe Amazon has a business model that will be successful long term wise. I personally think if Amazon will be able to compete that way with anyone, it will be with Walmart.

Future

Victory Ride
Amazon has the money to buy UPS. Amazon has zero experience with union workers so they would be very reluctant. Amazon isn't disgruntled with UPS they don't like the grip the union has on the company. Since FEDX express and ground mirror rate increases with UPS the key to lower shipping cost (the heart soul and core of Amazons business model) is to break UPS unionized workers.
Very interesting concept. I never thought of it that way, but it makes total sense!

Future

Victory Ride
I agree, although I don't think they have the assets to buy UPS. Our labor costs will eventually come back to bite us in the butts unless they are addressed in 2018.
Dont know what to say here. I agree, but disagree! They keep demanding more out of every employee(paying them more), but in the same sense they could hire a new position and wont!

oldngray

nowhere special
I don't believe Amazon has the assets to buy UPS. I also do not believe Amazon has a business model that will be successful long term wise. I personally think if Amazon will be able to compete that way with anyone, it will be with Walmart.
Amazon is mostly fictional money with few capital assets. It looks good to stock market but in the mood of investors changes that stock will crash and burn.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dont know what to say here. I agree, but disagree! They keep demanding more out of every employee(paying them more), but in the same sense they could hire a new position and wont!

I am talking about a two-tiered wage system with a lower starting wage, longer progression and lower top out for new FT employees as of 2018. Yes, they are demanding more and more from us, but we are well compensated for what we do.

Future

Victory Ride
I am talking about a two-tiered wage system with a lower starting wage, longer progression and lower top out for new FT employees as of 2018. Yes, they are demanding more and more from us, but we are well compensated for what we do.
I could understand a two-tiered wage system being put in place. I also could see them gunning for the hire paid employees to retire or quit or fire!

gman042

Been around the block a few times
If anyone has the funds to put the other out of business it is UPS to Amazon.
It has been said before on this forum. UPS has the delivery infrastructure in place. All they need is the supply. Easy enough. Amazon could not fight it. They have no liquid assets.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
When investors decided that Amazon needs to make a real profit, that's when we'll see the proof in the pudding. Right now Amazon gets a pass on telling investors any real numbers because they are a momo stock.

Now that the hypothetical take over and concessionary contract talk has been debated the brass tacks of the situation is that yes Amazon is po'd with us not being able to handle their volume as efficiently as they'd like.
1) UPS , as they do annually, blew their volume projections except it was on an epic level this year. At CACH we were running daily volumn the week before Tgiving that a few years ago were our high peak Xmas numbers. At that point we normally average 20 Amazon trls and we were already at 40.
2) We had weather that drastically affected a wide part of the country. We are still running volumn here that should be going to other buildings. Sure it's an act of god but Amazon dgaf. In fact they're inclined to think they are god.
3) Word through the union is UPS had great difficulty getting not only temp peak workers but also present workers to accept advancement into peak positions. You can't move pkgs without people to move them. We had 40 outgoing expedited loads sitting because the gypsies who were supposed to move them didn't show.

As far as the visionary who blew the volumn projections, he'll be promoted and hopefully his replacement might be better.
For the task at hand, we are already bumping up service levels on trailers to try and get them closer to their service projection. What would have gone rail is now being gypsied out. It'll cost us but it's the price we'll have to pay.
For Amazon we'll kiss their ass to their liking for the next 11 months before we do it all over again.