Have You Ever Taken A Day Off Just To Chill Out?

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I rarely take days off working for feeders. My job is too easy not to go to work. I roll at night so I'm off during the day and can do things that I like doing all the time. I always have days that I get paid for when May rolls around. I'm sitting on 9 sick days now. Now, when I was in packages, that was a different story all together. Worked all day and couldn't do anything during the week without taking days off. Personal days and sick days would be gone by september then I would be taking days with no pay. My o my what a difference having a real job makes.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
i take as many off as possible,, even if it hurts the check,, the last thing i would ever say before i die is " man i wish i worked more"

MikeTbob

My last mental health day was ...........................oh, let me think........................oh yeah, I remember......Wednesday. Did I feel guilty, oh hell no!:happy-very:

LOL, what a co-inky-dink, me TOO!
And how the heck do you accumulate sick days? I guess we don't get them here either, if we want sick days we have to use an option 3 week and that only gives you 5 sick days.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We dont get sick days. QUOTE]

Still, Tooner? I know you've said this before, but with the internet and all of us knowing what everyone else gets, I thought you must have gotten them with the current contract. You guys SERIOUSLY have to kick your local in the backside, and get them moving on this!

Do you get any paid days off other than vacation? (You do get paid vacation, right?!?!?)
`
Seriously STILL.
We get 2 option days which run may to may, and have to be authorized 7 days in advance. With this contract, we are allowed to use our option week, and break it into days, which is what I did this yr. But when Brad was in the hospital, and I had to have a week in January, when they had tons and tons of extra people they said that had to be my option week. So I got the pay, but no long weekends as I had planned. How many sick days a yr do you get?

over9five

Staff member
We get 5 s/ds and 3 o/hs. We can trade in 5 days for another vacation week. I don't do that cuz I'd rather end up with cash at the end of the year.

So what's an option week?

upsdude

Atlantic Area Supplement:

5 sick days Jan 1-Dec 31, sick days can be bid as a weeks vacation

5 personal days, must be requested 7 days in advance,approved on a percentage basis, our center gets 3 approved per day.

One weeks vacation can be held back and taken a day at a time, must be approved 8 days in advance, percentage basis, we get one approved per day. Vacation days are paid at 9 hours per day.

I'm at 20-25 years, 5 weeks vacation.

MikeTbob

We get 5 s/ds and 3 o/hs. We can trade in 5 days for another vacation week. I don't do that cuz I'd rather end up with cash at the end of the year.

So what's an option week?

Here in Texas an option week is just a regular vacation week at 45 hours, but you can elect to convert it into option days or sick days, same thing. I can call into work and say, this is Mike, I'm not coming in today and I want to use an Option 3. End of story. They still harass you about it, but there is nothing they can do about it.

Alteredboy

Ben in the box's
YES. Just this past Friday. Went to a local bar with my bestie and some pretty sweet pre-loaders. Got home, mowed the grass and watched TV and CHILLED. It was great.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
An option week is one you can work and also get pay, or use it as a vacation week. Its 50 hrs at straight time

bluehdmc

An option week is one you can work and also get pay, or use it as a vacation week. Its 50 hrs at straight time

Different supplements different rates. In local 177 we get 45 hrs pay, same deal work or take it as vacation. We can only take them a week at a time though. We also have 1 "anniversary day" (not sure who's) that's like a personal 8hrs pay and then we have an "option day" you can take it off and get 8hrs or you can work it and get 8hrs plus double time for every hour you work. Hopefully the day you choose is a big OT day.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
You must be joking.
Nope. No joke. Working at night allows me to have my cake and eat it too. I'm home by 8am in the morning and have until 2pm to do things or I could do it the other way and sleep from 8am untill 2pm then get up and have the rest of the day to do things untill I have to go to work. I go back and forth according to my personal schedule of what I want to do on a particular day. Either way thats 6 solid hours to do things. With that kind of flexability I don't ever need to take off. If I have it my way I'll work nights from now until I retire.

As a package car driver you could never dream of that flexability.

browndevil

Between the "chickens running around like their Heads cut off " because of the AUDIT, road construction, 60 mile detours , weather, breakdowns, and the STUPID drivers epidemic .......

I had to take the day off.

Took the big dog for a walk in the rain, did some yard work and generally just chilled out.

Felt like the right thing to do. I still have over 30 SD's on the books. Maybe I should do this more often.

Have any of you ever done this and not felt guilty about it?
I am doing it today. I wasn't planning on it in fact I got up at my regular time worked out for an hour, went to work found we were over and here I am.
I am going to tune up my car, hike with my dog and make my wife dinner. All priceless!:happy2:

Last edited:

fethrs

I'm doing it today too and Weds off for a concert Tues night.

I'm at 4 weeks vaca, (it took a while because of the year I went combo) 7 sick days that we can roll over for vaca next year if we have 5 days left. 4 Option days. 5 Personal days that can be used as a week or in days. I think the Option and Personal days get paid off at the end of the year if they are not used. I don't know I use mine every year.