Have you heard of the Orion System, what do you know?

I have a group of customers that ship UPS and need pkgs in the A.M. to turn them around for delivery in the P.M. Is this gonna tell me not to take care of my customers by running in trace?
The customers dont get what they pay for now! I can see things only getting worse not better! They will probably make the customers use...my choice...so they can charge an extra fee for early service

didyousheetit

our center has been on orion for about five months. It seems that a non bonus center would benefit from it rather than a bonus center. most drivers making bonus are already making the shortcuts, knowing where to breakoff for pickups and such.

BrownArmy

OFF TOPIC:

Punching out on Friday, I noticed a new contraption in the DIAD room...

It was attached to the ceiling and looked like a wireless router on steroids: MOTOROLA.

Maybe we're about to get the DIAD 5.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
What they are saying is mostly true.

If the system thinks you have different packages than you do, it won't work properly. They should be monitoring the preload.

If the trace is totally screwed up, it won't work properly. This gets to you other statement.

If ORION has you bouncing aound the shelves all day, then something is wrong with the trace. It knows what the trace is and tries to follow it. If you can't follow the trace at all, ORION can't either. It improves on a decent trace. It cannot fix a bad trace.

Good luck.

ORION is still being installed in my center, but it has been "switched on" for a few days. I haven't had a ride along yet.

My route is some town, including businesses, in the morning, then rural (including some more businesses), and then back to town for residentials. When ORION was on, it wanted me to do my EOD residentials in the morning, which would make me miss my rural businesses. Will this be addressed when I get my ride along. How about when our clueless DPS adds a section to me at EOD containing businesses?

One thing the team member mentioned was the good old Garbage in, Garbage out.

edit:As it is now, my DOL (trace) is really spot on.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The miles saved are mostly to/from miles. So yes miles have been reduced. My old bid I saved 14 miles a day just right there. Of course I have to go thru way more intersections and It takes just as long. So there is a little over allowed right there. We have some routes that have to drive a long way thru town. No one in there right mind would travel these paths when there is a by-pass that is faster.

I'll bet you cant wait for them to call you into the office so that they can pull out a Telematics report and bitch at you about your idle time.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What they are saying is mostly true.

If the system thinks you have different packages than you do, it won't work properly. They should be monitoring the preload.

If the trace is totally screwed up, it won't work properly. This gets to you other statement.

If ORION has you bouncing aound the shelves all day, then something is wrong with the trace. It knows what the trace is and tries to follow it. If you can't follow the trace at all, ORION can't either. It improves on a decent trace. It cannot fix a bad trace.

Good luck.

P-man,

My center has (a) a fundamentally flawed trace and (b) a chronic misload problem. I average 2 misloads per day on my route alone, and we are talking about a route that averages less than 150 pieces.

Given that there is absolutely no hope that either of these problems will ever be fixed, where is the wisdom in spending milions of dollars on implementing a new system (ORION) that by your own admission will fail to achieve the desired results because of these issues?

Imagine that you are the owner of a race car and you are seeking to improve its lap times. Does it make sense to spend a million dollars installing an exotic, complicated, high-powered engine into your car only send it out onto the track with bald tires, a bent frame and faulty brakes? All the horsepower in the world wont improve your real-world performance one bit if you cant keep the car from hitting the wall in each corner. Perhaps our resources would be better spent solving the underlying problems first rather than just trying to bury them under all this sexy, expensive new technology.

S

serenity now

I have a group of customers that ship UPS and need pkgs in the A.M. to turn them around for delivery in the P.M. Is this gonna tell me not to take care of my customers by running in trace?

they are not your customers: they are customers of ups
and ups is satisfied as long as commercial deliveries are made by 1659

tourists24

How would Orion work with those pre-PAS/EDD preloaders who like to build custom loads for their drivers?
Or even better..... how much time is saved when you go searching on that 7000 shelf when Orion tells you to deliver that neighborhood with an air and then you cant find the package? OR it takes you several minutes? OR you find all but one and end up having to come back anyway?

barnyard

KTM rider
With all due respect, I already do what ORION is trying to do. If I can get my ground off with the Next Day Air or maybe finish off that neighborhood at the same time, I do it. Its just plain old school driver's knowledge, I try to work smart instead of hard.

You do it. I also do the same.

Many drivers do not.

Some cover drivers follow EDD really close, I hardly ever do. I HATE driving in the same area twice, especially on rural routes. The more I read in this thread, the more that I see that Orion will help me decide if I might have time to run off 10 miles of rural stops with air or send me into town and come back later.

It should also help with when to deliver a runner. The kind where you look at a map and get a headache trying to decide when delivering that stop will result in fewer miles or end up being more.

I was on that kind of route last week. Going by EDD, you would deliver in town for the 1st 4 sections, then go to a little burg to the north for 3-4 stops, then south of town to make a circle around the county. When I hit the berg, I would also deliver stops from sections 6 and 8. Sometimes, I could see the houses from a section 5 stop. I continually had the internal debate on how far north I should run vs later in the day when I could come from the north. Some of the choices could add or subtract 10 miles for 1 stop. My most frustrating day was the day I missed a stop in EDD and had to run back from the north to within 200 yards of the berg. That cost me 10+ miles, if I would have delivered while I was in the berg, it would have been a 400 yard trip.

My oldest is working on her PhD in physics and is also very interested in the math and the formulas that are involved in making it work.

upsmanclt

P-man,

My center has (a) a fundamentally flawed trace and (b) a chronic misload problem. I average 2 misloads per day on my route alone, and we are talking about a route that averages less than 150 pieces.

Given that there is absolutely no hope that either of these problems will ever be fixed, where is the wisdom in spending milions of dollars on implementing a new system (ORION) that by your own admission will fail to achieve the desired results because of these issues?

additionally in my center: (c) a dispatch supervisor that has no interest in listening to the drivers that constantly tell him they are running all over each other (d) a dispatch supervisor that doesn't pay attention when merging routes after cutting a route and leaves 1-3 stops deep into the cut route for the affected to run

Misloads are not a problem in my center, they just get recorded as NI or whatever the falsification method of the day is used.

barnyard

KTM rider
I think something that could help UPS with this would be adding a traveling computer person to the payroll. We had a very computer savvy on-car that would schedule time to work on EDD and improve trace. He transferred to another center and do not have anyone in the center that has the ability to change trace. We could probably keep someone busy for a week or 2 a year doing nothing but fixing things to make them better.

I am betting my center is not the only one in that position.

pretzel_man

ORION is still being installed in my center, but it has been "switched on" for a few days. I haven't had a ride along yet.

My route is some town, including businesses, in the morning, then rural (including some more businesses), and then back to town for residentials. When ORION was on, it wanted me to do my EOD residentials in the morning, which would make me miss my rural businesses. Will this be addressed when I get my ride along. How about when our clueless DPS adds a section to me at EOD containing businesses?

One thing the team member mentioned was the good old Garbage in, Garbage out.

edit:As it is now, my DOL (trace) is really spot on.

As with the previous post. If your rural businesses are in your AM trace, then yes... They remain in the AM.

IF your rural businesses are traced in the PM but you break to get them, then ORION doesn't know that.

pretzel_man

P-man,

Imagine that you are the owner of a race car and you are seeking to improve its lap times. Does it make sense to spend a million dollars installing an exotic, complicated, high-powered engine into your car only send it out onto the track with bald tires, a bent frame and faulty brakes? All the horsepower in the world wont improve your real-world performance one bit if you cant keep the car from hitting the wall in each corner. Perhaps our resources would be better spent solving the underlying problems first rather than just trying to bury them under all this sexy, expensive new technology.

Sober,

Assuming they do NOT fix the thiings you mentioned, they a agree wtih you. Don't build the racetrack if you are not going to maintain the race car.

On the other hand, there are other owners who have tuned race cars. Let them have their race track.

ORION will definitely expose the deficiencies.

If the deployment coordinator says they won't fix the problems, then they are wasting everyone's time.

didyousheetit

you don't override it you simply hit back to rdo. There is a icon at the bottom right of diad 5 that will say odo or if you tap it with stylus will go to rdo.

didyousheetit

Are they traced in the AM? If so, they will remain in the AM

I have had my morning trace split up with 30 res stops. Then have to finish the rest of business b4 i finish the rest of res. unfortunately, if i did the res in orion, it forces me to make business deliveries between 12-1 and we all know where that will lead. You have to work with orion team constantly. to change the plans "all the plans" otherwise every time they use a different plan it will revert to however it was originally setup.