Have you heard of the Orion System, what do you know?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That UPS for you we will try to make it work no matter what the cost is.

One of our long-time trademarks.
Not as bad now as we use to be.

Actually, we are far worse now than we used to be.

Advances in technology have given us the ability to measure more things than ever before.

Once we can measure it...we can manage it. Once we can manage it....we will then micromanage it.

Our company is now saddled with an an entire layer of "management" that does nothing but chase an ever-increasing number of irrelevant metrics.

You only see the ones that get approved.

I get to see all of them.

We cull a lot more than we did 15 years ago.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
You only see the ones that get approved.

I get to see all of them.

We cull a lot more than we did 15 years ago.

your post makes no sense. You may see proposed ideas that might have been, but on the lowly operations and hourly level we are being driven into the ground (injuries up corporate?) by ridiculous micromanagement and the newest IE 'ideas'. What might have been does not affect the now

Catatonic

Nine Lives
your post makes no sense. You may see proposed ideas that might have been, but on the lowly operations and hourly level we are being driven into the ground (injuries up corporate?) by ridiculous micromanagement and the newest IE 'ideas'. What might have been does not affect the now

It could have been worse.

Re-Raise

Sober definitely works for the same company I do. I won't even try to say it better.

No kidding. I agree with all of his posts. I am just waiting for his name to appear on the ballot for Teamster President so I can vote for him.

Oh damn .. his name probably isn't really SoberUps is it?

GoForBroke

Yes the system sucks. They had it in the two smaller building (25 +/- and 20 +/- routes in each building) in my area after 18 months they gave up.

It was NOT abandoned, the buildings you're talking about were just test sites. Like any new program/ software there are testing phases. It is currently running in 8 buildings accross the country.

GoForBroke

First, the system will be implemented with little or no input from anybdy with any local area knowledge.
YES LOCAL KNOWLEDGE IS HUGELY INVOLVED

The really fun part will be when (or if) My Choice ever gets up and running. When you combine the time windows dictated by MyChoice with service commitments for Next Day Air, Next Day Air Savers and On Call Air....add a bunch of businesses that can only be delivered from 9:00AM-11:59 AM or 1:01 PM to 5:00 PM....throw in 20 or 30 pickups that must be stop completed within 15 minutes of their scheduled time....
ALL OF THE TIME WINDOWS YOU JUST LISTED WILL BE FACTORED IN

UPSGUY72

It was NOT abandoned, the buildings you're talking about were just test sites. Like any new program/ software there are testing phases. It is currently running in 8 buildings accross the country.

It will be scrapped in those building in time too. There is to much continuous program that has to be done that was never figure in to the cost. These day there are to many add cuts that cover different areas on any given day. I've have had add cut that aren't even next to my route there three routes away. If the routes stayed the same day to day things might be different but they don't the area that you cover change greatly. These changes mean that every possible route configuration that could possible happen needs to be programmed for each route and updated as new houses and street are built.

brownelf

remember when new streets came in on my first route years ago, I'd tell my loader and it would be taken care of. Now that he's suddenly unskilled, it takes millions of dollars in technology and and army of bean counters to do the same thing. That's Logistics..

cino321

It will be scrapped in those building in time too. There is to much continuous program that has to be done that was never figure in to the cost. These day there are to many add cuts that cover different areas on any given day. I've have had add cut that aren't even next to my route there three routes away. If the routes stayed the same day to day things might be different but they don't the area that you cover change greatly. These changes mean that every possible route configuration that could possible happen needs to be programmed for each route and updated as new houses and street are built.

Not true man, look what they did with EDD and the GPS coordinates that are locked in for each stop. It's all based on data automatically compiled by past history of delivery points. They're continuously recording and storing data on all kids of things like allowances per stop, delivery locations, and who knows what else.

GoForBroke

Not true man, look what they did with EDD and the GPS coordinates that are locked in for each stop. It's all based on data automatically compiled by past history of delivery points. They're continuously recording and storing data on all kids of things like allowances per stop, delivery locations, and who knows what else.
You are absolutley correct!
And what else? everything

UPSGUY72

Your EDD set up is basically static right know with out ORION with ORION you EDD becomes Dynamic ORION is going to tell you which house to deliver next not taken into consideration any real time happening.

Pinpointing a stop location isn't hard GPS and maps coordinates have been synchronized for years.

The problem is ORION tells you how to run your route which house to deliver to next and what time you need to be there and it's dynamic meaning the that it might tells you to deliver packages from you 8000 section before your 1000 one day and a told different way the next day. Every possible combination of possible route scenarios for each route has to be programmed in including any possible add /cut scenarios. It isn't going to give you time allowances for (traffic lights, traffic, weather, slow drivers closed roads, ETC) it doesn't have a brain it doesn't know real time / world condition or situations it's a program on a computer back at your building (garbage in garbage out). It might tell you that you need to deliver to both sides of a road even though it's a divided road. One way street are also a problem it's going to tell your next stop is at such address even thought you can't go that way down the street it going to tell you that because that stop is the closest in distance it works of distance to the next stop.

Does your EDD put your stops in order perfectly by itself NO some one has to program each stop into the your route data and if they Don't keep tweeking the EDD running trace isn't practically. Even with you EDD set up perfect you might not be able to run trace do to really world factors.

BROWNHOG

Basically, gps direct from the diad board. You'll deliver your stops based on what the gps program tells you. Stops and pickups will be mixed..etc...based on gps...the ability to cut miles..etc...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
All roads look flat, paved and free of traffic when viewed from Google Earth.

I am delivering and picking up packages in the real world. Its a route, not a Pac Man game.