Have you heard of the Orion System, what do you know?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Meh, call it Orion,EDD, whatever. I call it a paycheck. Keep them coming and I'll keep doing whatever it is you want me to do safely and to the best of my abilities with the tools given.

Bucko55

I am a preloader/air driver in a Southern California hub. This Orion system has been installed and is now actively being supported in our building for the last 3 months or so. They have put in about 10 computers with their software and when I punch out in the morning I can usually see the premapped routes for the full time drivers.
A recent rumor that I have heard is that this system is supposed to eventually have turn by turn directions in cab and basically tell you how to do your job. My fear is that new contracts may end up being rather weak because the company wont be as willing to negotiate with the Union knowing that they can hire scabs off the street to run routes with this system.
I hate giving this rumor any legs but I have a genuine concern about my future with this company.
Please tell me this is silly.

Indecisi0n

I love how you can see your map of the route for the day. I print it out in the morning which shows how ****ed up the dispatch is. Should be useful when asked about "my over-allowance."

wayfair

swollen member
You are not being silly. The "dumbing down" of the drivers position will have a direct effect on the wages of future FT hires.

the "dumbing down" of all positions....

with this Orion, packages need an rfid chip so it can alert us what we are digging for... lol

bumping up an old thread...

stink219

There is only one system that would ever work is calculating our delivery day, its weight x distance. UPS charges customers based on this system but uses a completely irrelevant system to track our daily work. The reason it would never be implemented is because of fairness. So I'll stick with my fair days work for a fair days pay.

lowsporh

Has anybody addressed the issue of safety? When it's 115 degrees out and humid and you're spending even more time in the 160 degree cargo hold trying to find the package ORION says is the next logical stop............. Not to worry, the ambulance sent to save your ass is air conditioned!!

QKRSTKR

They put this in our centers and it sucks big time. The real worse part of it is drivers now have to drive thru town instead of taking interstates or by pass. Freakin stupid. How many more intersections are drivers going thru now to get to area. It's all based on making your 1st and last stop closest to the center as possible. All about reducing miles.

Before they put Orion in, they re-traced every freakin rte. So if you had your edd all set up perfect, how you run it everyday, they completely changed it. Called it trace enhancer. When they did it to the rte I was on, I had no clue what was coming next. Now with the Orion running, it's a little better. I think they re-traced all the rtes so drivers wouldn't ignore Orion and just run it the way they use to. It was almost like it was when the pass system came in. Remember how screwed up that was? Then a lot of drivers fixed it so the edd would be in order. They completely erased all that we fixed.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I don't know anything about it. What I DO know is once they spend the money on it, everyone's performance is expected to improve by a certain much to justify the cost of it. You have to admire this company's moxie to spend a dollar to save a nickel.

AKCoverMan

Does Orion take into account the fact that on many routes you simply MUST get some bulk stops off early to enable you to be able to move on the car? Or does it send you to deliver a stop off the middle of shelf 7 when the back three quarters of the car are still corked.

Does the plan adjust if you are running behind the original planned schedule. What if you have to shag a misload or three.. are you now going to be late for the business stops ORION thought you would get to at 1645 or does it rearrange on the fly so you make it before 5pm and avoid a missed?

It would be impressive if it would do these things but I bet for quite some time to come it's going to come down to the driver's route knowledge and skill to make it work.

S

serenity now

does Orion know when the buses stage at 4 different schools * does it know all of the staggered lunches for the doctor offices around the hospital (some begin as early as 1130 and some end as late as 1400) well does it? what about that branch bank that always pals in the 7000/8000 range with nothing else but residentials *

Last edited by a moderator:

Nolimitz

If you folks get Orion, I sure hope it is better than DRA that Express is trying. Last week DRA sent 5 drivers to do the local mall. Yesterday I was tripping all over another driver working in the same area I was. The system creates more routes than we have trucks or drivers... Managers were out last week delivering in personal rigs.

Ms.PacMan

I would have thought that Orion was like that chess/ Jeopardy computer Watson and was learning from current drivers. No?

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
When I was driving, the team that was assigned to implement Orion was doing ride-alongs with every driver in the center to explain how, whats, and why's. Every driver hated it because it jacked with their normal way of running the route, but at the end of the day, most basically said that it had it's issues, but wasn't the worst thing in the world. There were plenty of kinks to get worked out.

Most of them, it increased their total miles and got them back later. Counter-intuitive, eh? Beyond that, they said that when it gets the final release to all the centers in the hub, that it would require something like an 80% or 85% adherence to the DIAD. That's the biggest issue to me. If that was the case, I would have been fired in a week...