Hazmat training no hotel

Double0

I have hazmat training tomorrow and have to drive 2 hours both ways after a 9 hour class. I’m a center clerk and this course is voluntary. It’s a 4 day course . The building manager said a week ago that I would have a hotel room for those 4 days. Now he says I have to drive there and back everyday. That’s 13 hours to leave and get home, if I don’t stop for food or bathroom. I know many drivers have 13 hour days, but im Not a driver. Is there some sort of rule as to when they have to provide a hotel? It would only cost ups around 400 bucks. Would cost me at least that in gas, not to mention wear and tear on my 200,000 plus mile engine in my car.

JustDeliverIt

I have hazmat training tomorrow and have to drive 2 hours both ways after a 9 hour class. I’m a center clerk and this course is voluntary. It’s a 4 day course . The building manager said a week ago that I would have a hotel room for those 4 days. Now he says I have to drive there and back everyday. That’s 13 hours to leave and get home, if I don’t stop for food or bathroom. I know many drivers have 13 hour days, but im Not a driver. Is there some sort of rule as to when they have to provide a hotel? It would only cost ups around 400 bucks. Would cost me at least that in gas, not to mention wear and tear on my 200,000 plus mile engine in my car.

If it's voluntary, don't go. If they want you to go that badly then tell them you need a room. Done.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Voluntary - look up the meaning and think about it.
UPS stopped paying for any training/education about 15 years ago.

I had the same situation some 20 years ago to get PMP certification and I had to drive and pay for meals.
You have to decide if it is worth it to you personally or not.

PMP = Project Management Professional

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

You could always

“Unvolunteer”

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
No room, no groom. The wedding is off.

Elmo.goes.to.prom

Hazmat training was at our building. If it wasn't at our building I would have never agreed to take the course.

It is volunteer. You are more than able to take yourself off the list. Once you become a dmp you can no longer un-volunteer for the job.

Double0

I would’ve been perfectly happy to go if I had a room like he promised. So I think I will in volunteer. The other problem I have, I know the manager will gun for me now. And will hold this over my head until he retires. So I’m friend’ed either way.

Double0

Not looking forward to driving 2 hours, 9 hour class, driving home two hours. And doing it all over again for four days. And yes I know drivers do this day in and day out. But I’m not a driver. Just clerk and sort. I guess ups can’t afford the 400 dollars in hotel rooms.

Wally

I would’ve been perfectly happy to go if I had a room like he promised. So I think I will in volunteer. The other problem I have, I know the manager will gun for me now. And will hold this over my head until he retires. So I’m friend’ed either way.
They are free to provide the training in your area. Screw them.

clean hairy

Not looking forward to driving 2 hours, 9 hour class, driving home two hours. And doing it all over again for four days. And yes I know drivers do this day in and day out. But I’m not a driver. Just clerk and sort. I guess ups can’t afford the 400 dollars in hotel rooms.
Try $175 total for 4 nights at the roach motel.
You really think they would give deluxe accomodations to you?
In the contract "when using personal vehicle in service of the employer, the employee will be compensated at the irs mileage rate"
Not sure if it would apply in this case.....

Wally

In the contract "when using personal vehicle in service of the employer, the employee will be compensated at the irs mileage rate"
I need the Hilton.

Double0

That’s fine with me.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Is that so?
Have you heard of this thing call Intergrad? Here's some reading material old man. :)
Headed to Intergrad
That is a cost that UPS is using to ensure 'quality' Driver candidates ...
unfortunately, they did not this program in place when you started your UPS Driver job. :speechless:

I attended a meeting where this was covered with managers somewhere around 2005.
UPS's strategic position is that they will not cover expenses that will qualify an employee for a promotion or where the employee could use the enhanced/new skills to leave UPS and get a job at another company.

Tactically, UPS continues to offer training via CBT or internal training classes (cutback substantially) to employees on training that is specific to UPS and where UPS can recover the training costs within a 3 year period.
I imagine you are more accustomed to Union/UPS agreements on required training in which UPS would have to reimburse employee expenses.

542thruNthru

That is a cost that UPS is using to ensure 'quality' Driver candidates ...
unfortunately, they did not this program in place when you started your UPS Driver job. :speechless:

I attended a meeting where this was covered with managers somewhere around 2005.
UPS's strategic position is that they will not cover expenses that will qualify an employee for a promotion or where the employee could use the enhanced/new skills to leave UPS and get a job at another company.

Tactically, UPS continues to offer training via CBT or internal training classes (cutback substantially) to employees on training that is specific to UPS and where UPS can recover the training costs within a 3 year period.
I imagine you are more accustomed to Union/UPS agreements on required training in which UPS would have to reimburse employee expenses.

Well maybe try and be more clear next time. Geeezzz