HEAVY?

dezguy

The a-hole is technically right, although it wouldn't kill him to give you a hand.

What do you guys do with overweight packages that have made it to your station? More times than not we deliver them.

He's right to a point. 150lbs is more than anyone should move by themselves but some people think we're the exception. We have one stop at our sta that has a guy like this and he would expect a 100lbs girl to load a above 100lbs package by herself.

Overweight stuff around our parts gets rex'd and sent out on the ctv side.

STFXG

Heavys go as far as my handcart can roll. 9/10 I back up to the garage. Unload and leave it by the garage door. Drive away.

Hauling a heavy up stairs is a liability. I don't do it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

whenIgetthere

The a-hole is technically right, although it wouldn't kill him to give you a hand.

What do you guys do with overweight packages that have made it to your station? More times than not we deliver them.

Depends on how much overweight. We have scales on each belt, and if it's suspected to be over 150, it gets weighed. if its' reasonable (151-180, and whether the recipient has a dock or is first floor) we will deliver. I have seen as high as 350 lb packages come down the belt, in that case, heavyweight gets a call.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Heavys go as far as my handcart can roll. 9/10 I back up to the garage. Unload and leave it by the garage door. Drive away.

Hauling a heavy up stairs is a liability. I don't do it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I just had HD deliver a trailer receiver from Curt. Only weighed 45 lbs. My wife watched as the guy struggled with it up the steps only to leave it half way to my door in the middle of the walkway. What a puss.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I just had HD deliver a trailer receiver from Curt. Only weighed 45 lbs. My wife watched as the guy struggled with it up the steps only to leave it half way to my door in the middle of the walkway. What a puss.
If it was only 45 pounds then why did she just stand there and watch?

!Retired!

I was running a PM route back east when I got a message from dispatch asking if I could help the route next to me lift an 80lb box into his truck. I was well ahead, so I drove over, picked up the box and put it in his truck. The courier was a prima donna and probably would have stood there until someone came.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I was running a PM route back east when I got a message from dispatch asking if I could help the route next to me lift an 80lb box into his truck. I was well ahead, so I drove over, picked up the box and put it in his truck. The courier was a prima donna and probably would have stood there until someone came.

He would have been SOL if he was waiting for me. If I, a woman, can lift 80 lbs, I'm thinking he can too or he needs to go work somewhere else. Wimp!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yes, it we have packages over 70 lbs we are contractually allowed to request help from a fellow hourly. The reality is it would be more hassle than it is worth---the driver on the other route has to break off, which puts him that much further behind----and most of us just "man up" and move the package ourselves.

I had a 128 lb pkg of RTA furniture that was going to a 2nd floor apartment. The box, which was slightly open when it was loaded, had started to fall apart, although the contents were intact. Try as I might, I was unable to "get it up" the stairs. Thankfully there was a bystander who offered to help and we got it up to their front door. He was amazed that we are required to handle these packages by ourselves. The next day I had the same package again (I think it was a duplicate order) but this one was in one piece and I was able to deliver it by myself.
Uh did you driver release these?

If not why didn't the consignee refuse the duplicate order.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

If you lift something that is 75# and get hurt, guess which direction the :censored2: will flow? Never, ever lift something that is too heavy by yourself. Being a hero doesn't pay. And yes, shippers lie all the time about weights, especially heavy boxes. Plus, they don't want to go through the Heavyweight hassle and charges. Besides, your HWT driver is probably out chasing Freight pickups that the Call Center constantly sends their way.

CJinx

Handcarts and physics are your friends when moving those 150 lb monstrosities. I really hate those disassembled desks or whatever because if the box gets damaged in any way, those parts never fit back in the box. :(

SmithBarney

They'll tell you in the Fall that Volume has been down...and they'll be no raises this year.. even though it's been like PEAK since peak ended... still using cartage agents here..(probably due to late freight)

!Retired!

If you lift something that is 75# and get hurt, guess which direction the :censored2: will flow? Never, ever lift something that is too heavy by yourself. Being a hero doesn't pay. And yes, shippers lie all the time about weights, especially heavy boxes. Plus, they don't want to go through the Heavyweight hassle and charges. Besides, your HWT driver is probably out chasing Freight pickups that the Call Center constantly sends their way.
It had nothing to do with 'being a hero'. I was pissed and it's amazing what a little adrenaline flowing can do.
I love that they can predict that it'll be late all week, but can't seem to figure out HOW TO FIX IT!
Fix what? It isn't broken
We have been doing this for 107 years and still can't figure out that Christmas falls on the 25th of December each and every year.
Say it ain't so!!