Help! I need advice!

SarSan1695

Hi! I know this place is probably mostly for males and actual UPS employees, but I need advice. My husband has worked for UPS for over a year now, but he just became a driver around August. Well, he hurt his ankle recently and the supervisors are always making comments about drivers needing to do their routes quickly and talking crap when someone doesn’t that he started getting stressed. His cousin saw him doing his route the other day offered to help with a few stops and since he was hurt and feeling pressure from the supervisors he stupidly said sure and let him go with him to help with a few stops. Well turns out a pre load supervisor saw him with his cousin in the vehicle and of course told the other supervisors. He got terminated yesterday! I’m freaking out because he’s the only one working right now while I’m in school and taking care of our son and this is one of the best jobs he’s ever had and might ever get (pay, insurance and retirement wise)! He put in the protest his union rep told him to, but the rep said it would probably be a month before they knew anything and that it’s not looking good because apparently that one of the worst things you can do. That seems like bs to me because I’ve heard about guys flipping a truck, drinking on the job and getting in an accident, and doing drugs on the job and all of them still have their jobs. So idk but I’m so stressed and need to know if you guys think there’s even a chance he’ll get his job back or what your advice for us is.

542thruNthru

Hi! I know this place is probably mostly for males and actual UPS employees, but I need advice. My husband has worked for UPS for over a year now, but he just became a driver around August. Well, he hurt his ankle recently and the supervisors are always making comments about drivers needing to do their routes quickly and talking crap when someone doesn’t that he started getting stressed. His cousin saw him doing his route the other day offered to help with a few stops and since he was hurt and feeling pressure from the supervisors he stupidly said sure and let him go with him to help with a few stops. Well turns out a pre load supervisor saw him with his cousin in the vehicle and of course told the other supervisors. He got terminated yesterday! I’m freaking out because he’s the only one working right now while I’m in school and taking care of our son and this is one of the best jobs he’s ever had and might ever get (pay, insurance and retirement wise)! He put in the protest his union rep told him to, but the rep said it would probably be a month before they knew anything and that it’s not looking good because apparently that one of the worst things you can do. That seems like bs to me because I’ve heard about guys flipping a truck, drinking on the job and getting in an accident, and doing drugs on the job and all of them still have their jobs. So idk but I’m so stressed and need to know if you guys think there’s even a chance he’ll get his job back or what your advice for us is.

1st I'm sorry you're going through this but your husband really really....really screwed up.

He committed what we call a "cardinal sin" most areas only have 7 rules that are automatic terminations and the carrying of unauthorized passengers is one of them.
Screenshot_20200214-223946_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

All you can do is wait and see. He needs to beg and plead but even then it may not work.

Good luck. Hope it works out.

Package Stick

"Send it."
1st I'm sorry you're going through this but your husband really really....really screwed up.

He committed what we call a "cardinal sin" most areas only have 7 rules that are automatic terminations and the carrying of unauthorized passengers is one of them.
View attachment 283144

All you can do is wait and see. He needs to beg and plead but even then it may not work.

If someone likes him, he'll be back. If not, well...

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Getting him back to work may depend on a few things:
1. His past work history. Was he late or absent a lot or not?

2. Did he engage in a lot of union activity (filing grievances, etc)?

3. Did he get along with management?

Johney

There is no way this guy gets his job back I don’t care if he spent everyday before start time under his center managers desk, he had a non UPS employee on the truck with him. Done.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
You need to change your screen name on here if it's your real name.

quad decade guy

Anything is possible. But do you want a guy this stupid to work for UPS? How long before

he flips an airport tug? Kills someone with a belt accident? Theft? Selling drugs on area?

I'm reluctant to let other UPS employees on my assigned UPS vehicle unless directly

instructed to do so....for this very scenario.

STUPID.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
A good lesson for you runner-gunners. Don't be this guy!

Let's be honest, hubby made a mistake of biblical proportions! He is toast. $100 Grand a year pay plus- vaporized! Full benefits-down the drain! Paid Holidays/7 weeks paid vacation- Poof! Great pension- history!

I hope their marriage can survive this. The pension alone he would need to save $$$ millions to replace!

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

There is no way this guy gets his job back I don’t care if he spent everyday before start time under his center managers desk, he had a non UPS employee on the truck with him. Done.
We have one exception for that rule, think the wording is during a state of emergency or act of god you can have a non authorized passenger. Working late sounds like a state of emergency to me!

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

View attachment 283144

Section 2 is the hiring prerequisites for supervisors. He could go the on road route.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Anything is possible. But do you want a guy this stupid to work for UPS? How long before

he flips an airport tug? Kills someone with a belt accident? Theft? Selling drugs on area?

I'm reluctant to let other UPS employees on my assigned UPS vehicle unless directly

STUPID.
If he doesnt keep his job he'll be "promoted". It's a good fit.

DOK

Sure there’s a chance. Just gotta tell him to be honest, humble and apologetic at the hearing, and of course that he’ll never do that again. And that he’s open to any additional training the union and the company are willing to give him to make him the best possible driver he can be. Don’t bring up other employees who are on drugs, or in accidents, or are late all the time.

DOK

STUPID.

it is going to be a rough future for ups, the way they are training these younger generation employees is not helping them. Stare at a nav screen, follow the flawed Orion 100%, they can’t think for themselves. They don’t prepare and plan out the day, no situational awareness with what’s going on around them etc etc. Making dumb decisions like the OP husband did, it’s a different era. They just don’t think ahead like the older veterans.

quad decade guy

it is going to be a rough future for ups, the way they are training these younger generation employees is not helping them. Stare at a nav screen, follow the flawed Orion 100%, they can’t think for themselves. They don’t prepare and plan out the day, no situational awareness with what’s going on around them etc etc. Making dumb decisions like the OP husband did, it’s a different era. They just don’t think ahead like the older veterans.

Who has a nav screen? Does pkg have navigation now? Feeders certainly doesn't.

And this cardinal sin is nothing new. We've had stupid people work at UPS and doing really, really

stupid stuff since I've been here...40 years.