HELP!!!!

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Arrived here at my place. Must've gotten redirected somehow.

01_j9lf6ckx4r691.jpg

Its_a_me

I have a very valuable rare life size doll that was shipped from a pack & ship shop and picked up by UPS in Williamsburg va and no scans since it had to go to the Newport News va hub I filed a claim but what good that has done because all I get everyday is a countdown to when my claim will be closed! The doll is irreplaceable not made any longer! I don’t want a refund I want it found! It’s huge 48” tall so it should not be so hard to locate at this hub!!! Any suggestions before they close my claim and I lose this doll!!
As others have stated, a number of reasons could cause this:
1) label fell off box with no paperwork inside stating who it belongs to (happens all the time when people attach plastic pouches with all the info in them. Automated belts and packages rubbing against others even in trucks tear these plastic pouches off. So do the unloaders whose job is to take them off the trucks and put them on the belts or stack them in the semi's.

BTW...hate to be the bearer of bad news....Unless the shipper valued it and paid for the extra insurance on the item as being over $100 that is what the claim will be paid for: it's a max rate allowed unless insured for more type thing. If the shipper paid for the additional insurance at X amount the claim will be for that valued amount.

BTWW....UPS has a dimensional restriction on the size of the boxes that if exceeded = extra charge (so it's not necessarily a weight issue for being charged more--though that is certainly another charge).

In that above case (which may or may not be correct) the item will eventually be sent to UPS Overgoods in Kansas City. I don't have that local number--call the 1-800-PICK-UPS number is the best I can direct you towards: you may want to use a method other than the phone to reach out to them--like live chat or send an email---so you have written evidence to submit if it has to go to small claims.

It is kinda pointless talking to the local center/hubs after two weeks. All those are instructed to send unclaimed items to Overgoods after that time period. If you do talk to the local hubs reach out to leave a message for the overgoods clerk to see if they remember seeing it. Keep it short and sweet: does the overgoods clerk remember seeing this item--not a line by line explanation of what you've gone through. If they call you back let them leave a voicemail as that is documentation too.

2) item fell out of box.

Unfortunately, that is not going to be the case...unless an employee that doesn't know what they are doing incorrectly disposes of an empty box. See UPS has a damage system with a notation for empty boxes or "fallout." You tracking number would indicate this type of damage. As far as item recovery--if possible: calling the 800 # and getting a request in to search overgoods is the way here too.

3)Your heavy box fell into another larger box.

You would hope that the person/company with the larger box is honest and tells UPS they got something that doesn't belong to them...but that is not always the case. And sometimes with a company that larger box sits unused for weeks and months. Amazon is notorious for sending large empty spaced boxes with little tape, no packing support, and having other packages simply fall into them. Drivers don't have time to investigate these packages that aren't taped well. They aren't going to remove a box in another box unless the label faces and shows through the untaped seem. So it happens.

So yes, even large 28 lbs 48" packages can disappear. If the shipper did their job then they shouldn't. But I've seen a UPS store bubble wrap a heavy grandfather clock thinking the bubbles would hold up and the clock's weight just popped them flat and the clock was destroyed. That is what happens when you leave shipping to those being paid minimum wage unfortunately. And UPS corporate said $100 and the shipper had to take the franchise to court to recover the rest of the grandfather clock.

4) Dishonest employee
The size of the item and weight make this a less likely scenario. As they would have to walk it out the door. The hub you mention would have security in place that would minimize this chance.

If the UPS claim amount doesn't cover the cost of the item: call the credit card company and file a claim with them or take the shipper to small claims court. But as far as the item--the more time that passes the less likely the item will be recovered.

Not the answers you are looking for---but the truth.

Jennyt72

As others have stated, a number of reasons could cause this:
1) label fell off box with no paperwork inside stating who it belongs to (happens all the time when people attach plastic pouches with all the info in them. Automated belts and packages rubbing against others even in trucks tear these plastic pouches off. So do the unloaders whose job is to take them off the trucks and put them on the belts or stack them in the semi's.

BTW...hate to be the bearer of bad news....Unless the shipper valued it and paid for the extra insurance on the item as being over $100 that is what the claim will be paid for: it's a max rate allowed unless insured for more type thing. If the shipper paid for the additional insurance at X amount the claim will be for that valued amount.

BTWW....UPS has a dimensional restriction on the size of the boxes that if exceeded = extra charge (so it's not necessarily a weight issue for being charged more--though that is certainly another charge).

In that above case (which may or may not be correct) the item will eventually be sent to UPS Overgoods in Kansas City. I don't have that local number--call the 1-800-PICK-UPS number is the best I can direct you towards: you may want to use a method other than the phone to reach out to them--like live chat or send an email---so you have written evidence to submit if it has to go to small claims.

It is kinda pointless talking to the local center/hubs after two weeks. All those are instructed to send unclaimed items to Overgoods after that time period. If you do talk to the local hubs reach out to leave a message for the overgoods clerk to see if they remember seeing it. Keep it short and sweet: does the overgoods clerk remember seeing this item--not a line by line explanation of what you've gone through. If they call you back let them leave a voicemail as that is documentation too.

2) item fell out of box.

Unfortunately, that is not going to be the case...unless an employee that doesn't know what they are doing incorrectly disposes of an empty box. See UPS has a damage system with a notation for empty boxes or "fallout." You tracking number would indicate this type of damage. As far as item recovery--if possible: calling the 800 # and getting a request in to search overgoods is the way here too.

3)Your heavy box fell into another larger box.

You would hope that the person/company with the larger box is honest and tells UPS they got something that doesn't belong to them...but that is not always the case. And sometimes with a company that larger box sits unused for weeks and months. Amazon is notorious for sending large empty spaced boxes with little tape, no packing support, and having other packages simply fall into them. Drivers don't have time to investigate these packages that aren't taped well. They aren't going to remove a box in another box unless the label faces and shows through the untaped seem. So it happens.

So yes, even large 28 lbs 48" packages can disappear. If the shipper did their job then they shouldn't. But I've seen a UPS store bubble wrap a heavy grandfather clock thinking the bubbles would hold up and the clock's weight just popped them flat and the clock was destroyed. That is what happens when you leave shipping to those being paid minimum wage unfortunately. And UPS corporate said $100 and the shipper had to take the franchise to court to recover the rest of the grandfather clock.

4) Dishonest employee
The size of the item and weight make this a less likely scenario. As they would have to walk it out the door. The hub you mention would have security in place that would minimize this chance.

If the UPS claim amount doesn't cover the cost of the item: call the credit card company and file a claim with them or take the shipper to small claims court. But as far as the item--the more time that passes the less likely the item will be recovered.

Not the answers you are looking for---but the truth.
Thank you! Certainly not but I do appreciate your honesty! I did go to all the hubs but no luck and I talked to overgoods in Missouri and they don’t have it in their system yet they said! So no one knows where it disappeared too the driver was the last known person with it!! So the hub I was at today is going to get their supervisor to get with him and question him but if nothing comes of that I surely just don’t know!

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Thank you! Certainly not but I do appreciate your honesty! I did go to all the hubs but no luck and I talked to overgoods in Missouri and they don’t have it in their system yet they said! So no one knows where it disappeared too the driver was the last known person with it!! So the hub I was at today is going to get their supervisor to get with him and question him but if nothing comes of that I surely just don’t know!
Just how attractive was that doll?

DOK

I have a very valuable rare life size doll that was shipped from a pack & ship shop and picked up by UPS in Williamsburg va and no scans since it had to go to the Newport News va hub I filed a claim but what good that has done because all I get everyday is a countdown to when my claim will be closed! The doll is irreplaceable not made any longer! I don’t want a refund I want it found! It’s huge 48” tall so it should not be so hard to locate at this hub!!! Any suggestions before they close my claim and I lose this doll!!
Is there any scans at all? Like when the driver picked it up? Maybe you were scammed and it was never actually shipped?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
When a shipper ships a package, a label is created with a tracking number. Just because a label and number are printed doesn't necessarily mean that it got picked up by UPS and made it into the system. That package has to be picked up by UPS and the tracking number is scanned that day if it makes it to a UPS building. There are actually two tracking systems. The one the customer sees is the one where the package is sorted and handled correctly and it makes it through the system like it's supposed to. The internal tracking system show scans in real-time, meaning the package travels through the sorting system, enters and leaves different buildings, exception scans entered by clerks, and several other scenarios. If your tracking number was scanned inside one of our buildings, that means it was shipped and it's in the system somewhere. As stated by somebody above, the label could be damaged or missing and a clerk that day inspected it and couldn't figure out who shipped it or where it is going. That is what we call Overgoods and it should have been shipped off that same day to a Central UPS Overgoods facility. Contents are inspected again there and hopefully can be matched with a claim filed before UPS pays the shipper for a missing package. Another thing that could have happened is the package was loaded in the wrong trailer going from where you are at and the West Coast. That package would have no scans until that trailer is unloaded a week later on the other side of the country. I hope your doll is found and returned to you either way. UPS handles millions of packages a day and sometimes things can go wrong.