Helper coordinators are fired!

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Solution maps? Face it, orion failed. It only has only 3 purposes.

1. Promote unsafe methods
2. Increase missed pkgs
3. Increase miles across the board.

Which are all 3 reasons for disciplinary actions.
I’ve always stated that seeing as the overwhelming majority of us just want to do our job as seamless as possible, if it worked they wouldn’t need to force us to use it.

I’ve always stated that seeing as the overwhelming majority of us just want to do our job as seamless as possible, if it worked they wouldn’t need to force us to use it.
This week the route I’m on is back to Orion. I don’t follow it. But I easily spent 30+ minutes a day scrolling to find a few businesses, churches, and schools. Not to mention the usual looking for the other half of neighborhoods Orion wants you to do 4 hours later.

In order to cut miles and overall costs, RDO must come back and ODO become optional.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This week the route I’m on is back to Orion. I don’t follow it. But I easily spent 30+ minutes a day scrolling to find a few businesses, churches, and schools. Not to mention the usual looking for the other half of neighborhoods Orion wants you to do 4 hours later.

In order to cut miles and overall costs, RDO must come back and ODO become optional.
Agreed, but the problem is that at UPS we dont fix stupid mistakes...we double down on them.
They will need to bring RDO back, but they will have to do it in a way that allows them to save face by continuing to make believe that ODO works.
Thats going to be tricky.

Agreed, but the problem is that at UPS we dont fix stupid mistakes...we double down on them.
They will need to bring RDO back, but they will have to do it in a way that allows them to save face by continuing to make believe that ODO works.
Thats going to be tricky.
Agreed, but they could say something like this: We don’t want to become rigid and one dementional so we now have the flexibility and capacity to service all of our customers future needs.

Let’s face it, just between you and me, the solution is a complete failure.

soberups

When PAS/EDD was implemented, it was a quantum leap in technology that made us more efficient and better able to make smart decisions as drivers. It was a good idea and it worked. Like any new technology it had a few minor teething problems, but I was an enthusiastic proponent of it and I dont know of a single driver who didnt feel the same way.
ORION is the exact opposite. I dont know of a single driver who feels it is anything but garbage, and the only ones still drinking the Kool Aid are people who never have, and never will, be required to brown up and use it themselves.
When virtually 100% of the people who will actually be using a new tool in the real world are telling you that the tool does not work and you continue to insist that they are all wrong and that they use the new tool anyway...that is nothing but pure, ignorant arrogance.

oldngray

nowhere special
When PAS/EDD was implemented, it was a quantum leap in technology that made us more efficient and better able to make smart decisions as drivers. It was a good idea and it worked. Like any new technology it had a few minor teething problems, but I was an enthusiastic proponent of it and I dont know of a single driver who didnt feel the same way.
ORION is the exact opposite. I dont know of a single driver who feels it is anything but garbage, and the only ones still drinking the Kool Aid are people who never have, and never will, be required to brown up and use it themselves.
When virtually 100% of the people who will actually be using a new tool in the real world are telling you that the tool does not work and you continue to insist that they are all wrong and that they use the new tool anyway...that is nothing but pure, ignorant arrogance.

EDD worked because it still followed the DOL. Its advantage was letting drivers know the exact stops and pieces that were supposed to be on their trucks. As compared to ORION which throws away precious delivery knowledge.

soberups

Agreed, but they could say something like this: We don’t want to become rigid and one dementional so we now have the flexibility and capacity to service all of our customers future needs.

Let’s face it, just between you and me, the solution is a complete failure.
I can see Abney’s press release now:

“We are proud to announce an exciting new enhancement to the ORION system that will combine cutting edge technology with precise data input from our operational partners in order to provide both unparalleled efficiency and flexibility for our service providers, and a quantum improvement in the value that can be offered to our customers. Introducing ORION PLUS, a multi-dimensional inteface that combines the proven technology of ORION with up-to-the-minute status updates on real time conditions as inputted by trained service providers.”

Seriously. Thats really all they have to do. Just give us a list of the stops in numerical order, change the name of that list from “RDO” to “ORION PLUS” or some other fancy moniker, and then throw a bunch of high tech buzz phrases and acronyms at it. It would be a win/win; we get RDO restored and the ability to get the work done, and they get to save face by waving a shiny new tech bauble in front of shareholders who wont know the difference anyway. They dont need to reinvent the wheel, all they have to do is put some paint on it and give it a different name.

oldngray

nowhere special

“We are proud to announce an exciting new enhancement to the ORION system that will combine cutting edge technology with precise data input from our operational partners in order to provide both unparalleled efficiency and flexibility for our service providers, and a quantum improvement in the value that can be offered to our customers. Introducing ORION PLUS, a multi-dimensional inteface that combines the proven technology of ORION with up-to-the-minute status updates on real time conditions as inputted by trained service providers.”

Seriously. Thats really all they have to do. Just give us a list of the stops in numerical order, change the name of that list from “RDO” to “ORION PLUS” or some other fancy moniker, and then throw a bunch of high tech buzz phrases and acronyms at it. It would be a win/win; we get RDO and the ability to get the work done, and they get to save face by waving a shiny new tech bauble in front of shareholders who wont know the difference anyway. They dont need to reinvent the wheel, all they have to do is put some paint on it and give it a different name.

They can't admit something they bragged about and spent a ton of money on doesn't work. In the past their mistakes usually quietly went away without any admissions of making a mistake.

Today's investors love shiny new tech (whether it works or not). Its all about keeping investors happy and the stock price inflated.

They can't admit something they bragged about and spent a ton of money on doesn't work. In the past their mistakes usually quietly went away without any admissions of making a mistake.

Today's investors love shiny new tech (whether it works or not). Its all about keeping investors happy and the stock price inflated.
At the end of the day, all that matters is the results. If UPS doesn’t want to run a business, investors will leave.

soberups

You are right, they cant admit a mistake.
But they can undo it...by simply referring to the correction as an “enhancement.”
Sort of like a few years ago when they replaced management pensions with a 401K and made cuts to their medical benefits. Rather than calling them what they actually were—cutbacks—they used the term “enhancement” to give everyone a warm, fuzzy feeling about getting screwed.

Johney

“We are proud to announce an exciting new enhancement to the ORION system that will combine cutting edge technology with precise data input from our operational partners in order to provide both unparalleled efficiency and flexibility for our service providers, and a quantum improvement in the value that can be offered to our customers. Introducing ORION PLUS, a multi-dimensional inteface that combines the proven technology of ORION with up-to-the-minute status updates on real time conditions as inputted by trained service providers.

Seriously. Thats really all they have to do. Just give us a list of the stops in numerical order, change the name of that list from “RDO” to “ORION PLUS” or some other fancy moniker, and then throw a bunch of high tech buzz phrases and acronyms at it. It would be a win/win; we get RDO restored and the ability to get the work done, and they get to save face by waving a shiny new tech bauble in front of shareholders who wont know the difference anyway. They dont need to reinvent the wheel, all they have to do is put some paint on it and give it a different name.
You will never hear that statement in any news release.