helpers

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
So, I've been through a bunch of peaks inside but this is my first driving. In your center do unassigned drivers (permanent full time seniority cover guys) get helpers or just bid route drivers? How about if you're delivering out of a uhaul? Our center manager said we're getting almost 20 uhauls this year so i wouldnt be surprised if i'm stuck with a rental being low man on the totem pole.

upschuck

Uhuals have good stereos in them. You'll be able to jam to Christmas songs all peak long. Awesome man, you're the lucky one.

And yes, cover drives will get jumpers too, you will probably get a lot of res, so you'll need one.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
No advice on the helpers, but working out of a uhaul sucks. Only good thing about it is the good heat & radio.

upschuck

You're right they do suck, but I was trying to lift OP's spirit. About every route in my center gets a helper, puts you behind from the get go, so they give you a helper to neutralize the longer selection time. Every center is different though.

oldngray

nowhere special
No advice on the helpers, but working out of a uhaul sucks. Only good thing about it is the good heat & radio.

They used to remove the fuse for the radio in our rentals. So of course we all swapped in a fuse from something else less important (in our opinions). Or brought a fuse in to work to pop in and pop out at end of day.

upschuck

They used to remove the fuse for the radio in our rentals. So of course we all swapped in a fuse from something else less important (in our opinions). Or brought a fuse in to work to pop in and pop out at end of day.

Wonder if they'll continue to do this now that radios are "allowed" in PC's.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
One must keep their mind on work only! No music for you! How bad is that?!
i guess it's better now since the new pc's have good heat & a lot of drivers listen to music too.
​Just running airs in a rental sucks. I can't imagine how much a pain it would be to drive one all day.

Indecisi0n

So, I've been through a bunch of peaks inside but this is my first driving. In your center do unassigned drivers (permanent full time seniority cover guys) get helpers or just bid route drivers? How about if you're delivering out of a uhaul? Our center manager said we're getting almost 20 uhauls this year so i wouldnt be surprised if i'm stuck with a rental being low man on the totem pole.

I would love this. I'd be doing 7 stops an hour.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I had to drive an old 1986 p1000 the other day so the uhaul might not be so bad. Especially if it had a car charger plug and radio. If probably grab a load stand to get into the back and cab what I could. No telematics would be nice too.

barnyard

KTM rider
I've worked out of a Uhaul for a couple of years. I put a tote in the passenger seat and load that up with stops. I line up the next stops across the back of the tail gate. When they are gone, I get the next section or so lined up across the back, small pieces go in the tote in the cab.

Good radio, great heat are the plusses.

Opening the back door is the big minus.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The U-Haul that I had had a door between the passenger cab and cargo area, which had shelves. It wasn't ideal but I didn't have to open the rear door at every stop.

Johney

Last time I used a helper in a rental it was like upstate had, a door in the middle. I would set up stops and leave the helper back there to sheet packages and hand them to me as we went along. Granted this was a long time ago before DIAD and they may not like you doing that now but then they knew it and it worked fine. I was actually very productive. All the rentals they get now have radio and a/c which is good here in s. Fla.