High Seniority Package Car Drivers -. Why didn't you go feeders?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I had 18 years in delivery when I went to feeders and had a lot of the same concerns as other guys in this thread,ie, working nights, longer hours, pulling doubles in bad weather, etc. Can honestly say that at least for me all those things that I thought were going to be a big deal turned out to be no big deal at all.
Wife had my back which is how it should be, I can't imagine being married to someone who would want me to stay in a miserable job just because it was more convenient for her. We keep our seniority here so no issue there, losing 18 years might have made me rethink it.

Driver7906

I can see why some older guys in my package center with sweet routes don’t ever go feeder. I wouldn’t have either if I were them. Also, feeder just simply isn’t the job for everyone. But my situation in packages wasn’t going to get better for a very long time and the job was taking its physical toll on me so I had to take the feeder opportunity when it came.

WorknLateHuh

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Senior Feeder Driver once told me,

" You're worst day in Feeder is still TEN times better than your best day in package"

Seems as though a lot of drivers that support this thinking probably had heavy industrial, downtown, or a bull-run route with heavy pickups. So obviously where you live is probably the biggest factor. Then again there's drivers that, straight up, hate resi deliveries... so idk

I do random high seniority rural routes in a 700 with 60-70 stops a day with lots of windshield time taking in the beautiful country. I would call that having some pretty good days. I have 13 years in and this is the easiest job I've ever had, and I used to drive semi's before ups. yeah, i'll stay in package unless feeders can give me a 3 day work week.

brostalss

Seems as though a lot of drivers that support this thinking probably had heavy industrial, downtown, or a bull-run route with heavy pickups. So obviously where you live is probably the biggest factor. Then again there's drivers that, straight up, hate resi deliveries... so idk

I do random high seniority rural routes in a 700 with 60-70 stops a day with lots of windshield time taking in the beautiful country. I would call that having some pretty good days. I have 13 years in and this is the easiest job I've ever had, and I used to drive semi's before ups. yeah, i'll stay in package unless feeders can give me a 3 day work week.

Sleeper runs are three days.

leastbest

LeastBest
I was on the same route for thirty years. Small town on the south shore of Lake Erie. Few businesses and by the time I would have considered feeders I had developed intense apathy. I just listened to books on tape as I worked and ignored management.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I passed the feeder bid list the first time it came by. Right after that, IE rode with me and took 1.5 hours of allowances out of my day. IE guy was banging the chick on the route next to mine. She got 1.5 hours allowance added to her day. Funny how that worked out. I complained about it, and they did it again, different guy. Still lost 45 minutes. I went from running near scratch to running an hour over every day overnight. I read the writing on the wall. I signed the list next time it came around. Never regretted it. Worked 29 years in feeders, and i worked nights the whole time. (My choice) When I retired, I think I was #19 in seniority out of about 125 drivers. Could have worked days, but I didn't want to watch the food network and trading spaces every frickin' night. No doubt saved my marriage.

El Correcto

god is dead
I was going to try out feeders but they wanted me to study and :censored2:. If I wanted to study I would of gone to college, miss me with that learning bull:censored2:. Package car for life.

boxboy23

Only hated Feeder the first couple of weeks on my own. I was still trying to get used to driving a tractor with 53’s and Doubles. After I got comfortable, it was smooth sailing from there. Easiest gig at ups in my opinion. Imagine working 8 or 14 hours not having to lift a single package. :love:

boxboy23

I hear all the negative crap about feeder all the time but it’s always coming from drivers that have actually never experienced what it’s like to be in Feeder.