High volume

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
They won't let us hire anyone. It's a total disaster
We've started hiring drivers off the street for the first time in decades. Gave one an “observation ride” this past week before he gets shipped off to Integrad. Didn’t let him touch a package or the DIAD, just follow and observe. Had him huffing and puffing, and complaining about his legs burning by mid-afternoon. We’re so screwed.

We've started hiring drivers off the street for the first time in decades. Gave one an “observation ride” this past week before he gets shipped off to Integrad. Didn’t let him touch a package or the DIAD, just follow and observe. Had him huffing and puffing, and complaining about his legs burning by mid-afternoon. We’re so screwed.
they can say what the want about us veteran drivers but these kids don't want to do thus crap.
That's why they raised the progression....not because of D T.

That's so insane...I really thought after the contract was ratified, they would be able to hire and KEEP people. But nope, we just hire, hire, hire and no one ever comes back. It's just a measly 140 degrees inside our Texas hub :hot:
We don't have enough people nor will they fix the red tags. We are getting blasted with Amazon, too many people on comp and taking FMLA days. Peak is going to suck.

6 weeks of vacations and 8 sick days are a wonderful thing from June to nov. just have to get through the first 5 months of the year without burning up all them sick days

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
they can say what the want about us veteran drivers but these kids don't want to do thus crap.
That's why they raised the progression....not because of D T.
The funny thing is I only have 6 years in at FT, so not what I would consider a veteran. We just have a ton of <5 year drivers and not enough on road supes, so proper training is suffering.

FromOffTheStreets

In the past few years I've seen a lot of drivers that had between 5-10 years quit
Might be smart actually. Just put in enough time to get out of debt including the house, put a decent amount in savings & then go back to pre driving life. Where you could actually enjoy living to some degree.

I mean driving really isn't that bad of a gig if you have a good work ethic. But you just have very little time or energy in the evenings or on weekends to do much more than lay around in the a/c.

No more sports leagues to enjoy or you can't make your kids games etc.

Might be smart actually. Just put in enough time to get out of debt including the house, put a decent amount in savings & then go back to pre driving life. Where you could actually enjoy living to some degree.

I mean driving really isn't that bad of a gig if you have a good work ethic. But you just have very little time or energy in the evenings or on weekends to do much more than lay around in the a/c.

No more sports leagues to enjoy or you can't make your kids games etc.
I know it sucks sometimes especially when you have a younger family.

But you got to look at the alternatives. Do you want to work two jobs? What about health care and pension?

It really does suck sometimes but we are fortunate

FromOffTheStreets

I know it sucks sometimes especially when you have a younger family.

But you got to look at the alternatives. Do you want to work two jobs? What about health care and pension?

It really does suck sometimes but we are fortunate
We are very fortunate, I can't believe how much we get paid + benefits to deliver boxes.

However, the pay has to outweigh the life that you no longer have. A 10 year investment of no life, for the sake of greater financial stability for your family is generally worth it.

It really just comes down to the circumstances each individual person faces.

We are very fortunate, I can't believe how much we get paid + benefits to deliver boxes.

However, the pay has to outweigh the life that you no longer have. A 10 year investment of no life, for the sake of greater financial stability for your family is generally worth it.

It really just comes down to the circumstances each individual person faces.
It gave me an opportunity to have a stay at home wife and not having my kids in daycare

You can't put a price tag on that

You made that family it's your responsibility to take care of them.

FromOffTheStreets

It gave me an opportunity to have a stay at home wife and not having my kids in daycare

You can't put a price tag on that

You made that family it's your responsibility to take care of them.
I'm only pointing out why people leave in that 5-10 year range. It's not because the work is too hard (those guys get out in year 1 or 2) its because the brown truck is consuming their lives and affecting their families. So they put in just enough time to clear their debt burdens.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You would have died trying to follow in my footsteps on my route. It was a killer. :-) I will say though that I bet a good majority of todays drivers would go absolutely insane trying to navigate a rural route without the help of a cell phone or GPS or any other electronics---all while driving a POS straight stick. For the first 5 or 10 years I worked the only addresses that were on the rural route packages were like Joe Blow-- RR3. It got better when they switched to Joe Blow RR 3 Box 187 (as long as you knew how the mail carrier ran his route). We spent a lot of time barrowing customers phones trying to locate people.

Those times were best.