Hit while parked.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Its just a total copout

Damned if you do damned if you don't
That truck is scratched while you are the driver for that day, its your fault .
They'll point fingers when you're too slow, they'll do it when you're too fast.
It's the environment we live in now as UPS drivers

BTW......Whoever signed that contract with the insurance company (with its TIER 1, TIER 2 BS) should be slapped pretty damn hard

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can recall, as I am sure most of the older drivers can, that when you broke a mirror, you simply wrote it up and the mechanic took care of it. No problem. Now, they are supposed to charge you with an accident.

I can recall, as I am sure most of the older drivers can, that when you broke a mirror, you simply wrote it up and the mechanic took care of it. No problem. Now, they are supposed to charge you with an accident.

True, but the funny thing is, I still don't care if I brake a mirror.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

I have never known anybody to be charged with an accident if their mirror got hit by another driver while parked. We were always charged with an accident if we broke it while our vehicle was in motion. If we broke it while adjusting it, then we weren't charged. Now it might be possible to adjust a mirror with a tree branch, but it would probably be wise to clean the bark and leaves off the mirror frame and leave those details off of the DVIR Report. Not that I would do anything like that...........:innocent:

upsgrunt

18 years ago I was backed down in a "submerged" dock at a pick up. It started to rain and hail, so I shut the rear door to wait it out. It turned out to be a 100 year hail storm- the kind that killed dogs, cats, and farm animals. When I got back out, the dock was full of water, thus there was water in the pkg car up to the seat and the hail had broken both mirrors. I hated making that phone call, but I never got charged with anything. I do remember when I called in, the first thing I was asked is "did you back into the dock when it was full of water?" I probably would have tried to drive it, but when it was finally towed out, the fuel level had gone from 1/2 to 3/4 full!

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
This thread reminds me of a memo I saw posted on our PCM board that read:

"If you've been hit while parked, it probably means that you've parked incorrectly."

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
#5 Mike Hawk

Re: Hit while parked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf
Ya, it is BS but that isn't going to change anything. You know what's going to happen if you are hit while parked so you are more aware of your surroundings when parking. If it is safer to park a little farther away then park alittle farther away and walk it off. Don't park a little farther away........ well then you take your chances.

If parking in a parking lot with other cars is "Avoidable" then you should avoid it, park 4 blocks away in a deserted lot and ask your supe what he thinks of that, let him know you need half the stops because you spend half your day walking. All in the name of safety. Safety first, no exceptions.

Today, 12:18 AM #6 dilligaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hawk
If parking in a parking lot with other cars is "Avoidable" then you should avoid it, park 4 blocks away in a deserted lot and ask your supe what he thinks of that, let him know you need half the stops because you spend half your day walking. All in the name of safety. Safety first, no exceptions.

Mike, are you being facetious? :wink2: LOL

#8 bellesotico
BOXstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf
Mike, are you being facetious? :wink2: LOL

Gosh Dill..If I didn't know any better..I would think you were making fun of me...

But why would you do that...

Mike/belle or whom ever....

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

Dilly responds to mike by name, and belle responds to the post.

Same person?

Betcha!

Gotta watch which person you post under if you intend to keep on posting with different personas

d

Mike Hawk

fail.jpg

Come on Danny I thought you were smarter than that. If you really think I am Bellestoico then have Cheryl look at the IP's, you will find mine is several states away from Michigan.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
As to the subject matter of the post, the ability of the local sup or center manager to be the only person to have input on whether or not an accident is avoidable or not has always been a sore spot with me. I let them know early on that if the company wanted the drivers to be able to believe the safety cochairs had any input or credibility, they would put them on a panel to decide if the accident was actually avoidable or not.

The way it is right now, the center favorite drivers (those that kick butt and produce at any cost) are rarely charged or given time off for accidents, even two roll aways in two years. But yet someone that is less that stellar production wise can break a mirror on a branch and watch 20 years safe driving go down the tubes.

For the most part, it is all dependent on the fact that the center manager/sup likes you or not.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Mike

Then why would Belle respond to your post, and the post that addresses that post as if it were you? That is if indeed you two are not the same????

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Danny, hate to burst your bubble, but I checked Mike's public profile and he has positive rep from Belle. Unless he has found way to give himself rep points, I think your theory has been sunk.

BTW, I was personally hoping that they were not one in the same. Nothing personal, Mike, but have you guys seen Belle's picture? Hello!

Mike Hawk

I really don't know. Belle said something about being facetious in another thread, maybe she thought Dilligaf was mocking her in this one, the word is an uncommon one.

J

JonFrum

If you don't push in your mirror and it gets hit. It is your fault.

Pithy, . . . Very pithy.

Many newer vehicles have mirrors that don't push in very far, if at all. Like on the air vans, the UPS 24-footers, the 700rds, the 1200rds, as well as tractors, yard shifters, and the peak-season rentals of all sizes.

On Monday everyone that has a vehicle with mirrors that stick out even when pushed in, should refuse to drive that accident-waiting-to-happen. You're at risk one to two hundred times a day! Oh, the potential carnage!!!

How can you follow the methods and work as directed if the mirror bracket won't cooperate? It's just not safe.

Be sure to mention 1989.

bad company

semi-pro
Of course! By the way, you will have a Lands End delivery on Water street in two weeks. Don't park on the east side of the street because a meteor should hit in that spot at the precise time you will be there to deliver. Also, the back door will be locked, so use the garage code to get in. The consignee will have the code changed back to the original one by that delivery.:happy-very:

Wow...you're good! You must have over 20 years driving to be able to know all that stuff. I can't even get my apartment gate codes right...just when I memorize them, management changes them to something else :knockedout:

upsdude

For the most part, it is all dependent on the fact that the center manager/sup likes you or not.

d

That's not the case with the "accident" I posted. This driver is not a favorite of local management yet they still felt the accident was unaviodable.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
UPSTATE, no bubble, just interesting. As for the usage, not that uncommon, just uncommon to know how to spell it or to use spell checker.

BTW, there was one site where the same guy had a private conversation behind the scenes between his two alter egos, just to try and prove he was not the same poster with two different ID's.

Dude, if the accident is unavoidable, then there is no problem. Its just that under UPS's micro managed policy, a plane falling from the sky directly above your package car is just about the only unavoidable one you can have. The rest, they can find all sorts of reasons why you could have avoided one.

In the case of the driver with two roll aways, the second one they praised him for parking in such a way that the damage was very minimal. Forget the fact that he had several other "unfortunate incidents" involving other vehicles and stationary objects, or had a roll away that hit a garage. Any one else would have been fired, and had to fight to get their job back.

d

DS

Fenderbender
I did the unthinkable a few years back and parked directly in front of a driveway,doing a resi,when I was getting the package I saw the car in the driveway backing right into me...I honked the horn but he hit me anyway.I never heard another word about it other than the next day ride.
I think the customer felt like an idiot and called in to say it was all his fault.Minimal damage to the truck.(he hit my tire) and his civic needed a new trunk.I'm more careful where I park now.