Hit while parked.

tieguy

Banned
For the most part, it is all dependent on the fact that the center manager/sup likes you or not.
d

Maybe at times but thats not the rule.The center does not want avoidable accidents either. I don't think there are too many managers that will eat an extra avoidable accident just because they don't like that driver.

Every accident goes into the system as avoidable. We then have to prove it was unavoidable and get region to change it.

BSUUPS

"avoidability" decision making is a simply monday morning quaterbacking an incident....Easy for spotscenter announcers to analyze all the variables that led to the interception.... they have 1000 more angles than Farvre, see it replayed over and over in slow motion - yet probably can't throw a football (unless its Young or Aikman). Nonetheless it is what is....Especially with hit while parked. I tell drivers in my center when the monday morining quarterback analysis comes in to ignore it...It's someone elses opinion...Learn from...move on...Thats what Farvre does I would think..

outamyway

Maybe at times but thats not the rule.The center does not want avoidable accidents either. I don't think there are too many managers that will eat an extra avoidable accident just because they don't like that driver.

Every accident goes into the system as avoidable. We then have to prove it was unavoidable and get region to change it.

So guilty until proven innocent! Gotta love the UPS way!

Mike Hawk

We have one cover driver at our center that came back to the center with a hole in the top of the car and there was still a branch in it, he didn't report it. The preloader found it and asked MGT about it, they asked him and he said "A branch fell on my truck at lunch." I'd put money on him not showing up under a tree on GPS at lunch. He has also been t-boned in an intersection, not his fault, but he wasn't in browns and had no DOT card on him and a few other minor accidents to my knowledge. He isn't a runner either, he always runs over and when he runs a route the routes next to him get some of his stuff to compensate, he is dislike by most drivers for leaving packages in the weather or on their driveways for no reason, then they have to make amends. Not sure why he doesn't get disciplined, maybe he has the dirt on MGT.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The Safe Driving Award system used to have some merit, but now it is little more than a lottery for people who get lucky enough not to be "charged" with some ridiculous "accident" that the company deems to be "avoidable" without any regard for logic or common sense.
How true.
I know of a feeder driver who had a major accident , and a route driver who ran over a little old lady in a crosswalk both who received safety awards.
Also another driver who received a service award ( while being on worker's comp for two years ).

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have a driver in my Center who got in the Circle of Honor because the boss messed up and gave it to him instead of the 25 Years of Service Award. He got a free dinner and a gold jacket for it.

We have a driver in my Center who got in the Circle of Honor because the boss messed up and gave it to him instead of the 25 Years of Service Award. He got a free dinner and a gold jacket for it.

A jacket made out of gold... SWEET

outamyway

I did the unthinkable a few years back and parked directly in front of a driveway,doing a resi,when I was getting the package I saw the car in the driveway backing right into me...I honked the horn but he hit me anyway.I never heard another word about it other than the next day ride.
I think the customer felt like an idiot and called in to say it was all his fault.Minimal damage to the truck.(he hit my tire) and his civic needed a new trunk.I'm more careful where I park now.

It's amazing some people will actually back anywhere with out looking behind them. What if their kid was behind them or someone else's kid? It just boggles the mind, some of the things I see people do on road every day. And I'm only out there 4 1/2 hours.

People like that are the reason I'm paying so much for car insurance, and I've never had to use it!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

Tie, I must disagree. While the un/avoidable does to some extent influence the center opperations, I dont think it does enough for some managers to argue the difference. So they let it stand.

Funny how one driver cracks a mirror on a branch while avoiding a head on, yet another driver has a roll away, and is praised for the damage not being worse than it could have been? Go figure.

I really do believe if the company would agree that each accident is reviewed by the safety committee, and they alone give the recomendation of avoidable/unavoidable, then the safety committee would be perceived as a legit institution. Until then, while some do make a difference, mostly they are a cheap tool for UPS to skate by and show compliance to OSHA issues.

Personally, I would think UPS would welcome that type of action, instead of using the old "its that way cause I said it was" mentality when it comes to the rating of accidents.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Outa, that backing without knowing where you are backing is the reason you have the camera on the back of each package car, regardless of size. In 18 months a while back, UPS drivers backed over three children that were killed, all because they backed as the first movement after making the delivery. As part of the backlash, UPS tried several different ways to combat that blind spot, and cameras were the one that made the biggest difference.

d

poozer2000

Just under a year ago I parked up in a car park and went to have a "pony" when I got back to my car the bumper was hanging off and the front wing dented nobody was around apart from this artic which was parked a little away I asked him weither he saw any thing he to my astonishment owned up to accident so I got his insurance details etc. foned base to tell them made some on the spot repairs and carried on my day
to my suprise nothing ever was said about it at base,

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Outa, that backing without knowing where you are backing is the reason you have the camera on the back of each package car, regardless of size. In 18 months a while back, UPS drivers backed over three children that were killed, all because they backed as the first movement after making the delivery. As part of the backlash, UPS tried several different ways to combat that blind spot, and cameras were the one that made the biggest difference. d

This is exactly why I do a walk around whenever I am delivering in a residential neighborhood and there are kids around. I would rather take the few seconds to do that then to have the unthinkable happen.

Hedley_Lamarr

In our center we've had a few hit while parked accidents over the last couple month's. The accident's we're totally the pedestrians fault...saw our package car, but made wrong decisions. Thought they could fit in the space (in a big hurry). BUT, our drivers were charged with avoidable accidents. The peds actually acnowleged seeing the pkgcar and made bad decisions. I guess, to me, not everybody is trained to the highest standards as we are....but we are held accountabe for them! BS
What do you think?
I love the whole "avoidable accident" thing. When you come right down to it aren't ALL accidents "avoidable."

Leftinbuilding

Tie, I must disagree. While the un/avoidable does to some extent influence the center opperations, I dont think it does enough for some managers to argue the difference. So they let it stand.

Funny how one driver cracks a mirror on a branch while avoiding a head on, yet another driver has a roll away, and is praised for the damage not being worse than it could have been? Go figure.

I really do believe if the company would agree that each accident is reviewed by the safety committee, and they alone give the recomendation of avoidable/unavoidable, then the safety committee would be perceived as a legit institution. Until then, while some do make a difference, mostly they are a cheap tool for UPS to skate by and show compliance to OSHA issues.

Personally, I would think UPS would welcome that type of action, instead of using the old "its that way cause I said it was" mentality when it comes to the rating of accidents.

d

I think having employees sitting in judgement of each other is asking for trouble. Especially if the decision resulted in disciplinary action. And, as a former co-chair, I know that some of the people on the safety committees are there only for the possible perks. (easy o/t etc) Others (at least in our center) were forced onto the SC because of their own accident or injury. They have a built-in attitude that could preclude any objectivity. The system is definitely broke, and needs fixing, but there has to be another way.