HOFFA FIRES OBRIEN FOR BEING TOO AGGRESSIVE WITH UPS

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
IMG_5525.JPG
Taken on Hoffa

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Maybe. O'Brien wants to be General President.

O'Brien put Zuckerman on his negotiating team and Zuckerman was campaigning against Ron H in his own local. That's a big part of why O'Brien got fired.

Ultimately, I don't care if O'Brien was "doing the right thing for the wrong reasons" as long as he was willing to fight the company.
Maybe. O'Brien wants to be General President.

O'Brien put Zuckerman on his negotiating team and Zuckerman was campaigning against Ron H in his own local. That's a big part of why O'Brien got fired.

Ultimately, I don't care if O'Brien was "doing the right thing for the wrong reasons" as long as he was willing to fight the company.

For what it's worth, I talked to a guy who used to be pretty well connected at the local and national level, and he told me he thought it was because O'Brien put Zuckerman on the negotiating committee, after making peace with him. This apparently enraged Hoffa, because he didn't want Zuckerman anywhere near the international level, after nearly defeating Hoffa in the election.

Now, I guess I can buy that, but the guy I talked with has always been a pretty strong Hoffa supporter, and to me, it seems far too big of a coincidence that a few days after O'Brien stood up to Al Gudim about seasonal workers using their own cars--which is a red herring for the company using contractors from the macro view--he was removed from the contract team.

From a strictly optical view, it doesn't look good. It makes Hoffa look like UPS's whore, which is what many of us have said for years now. And if he doesn't want Zuckerman on the contract team for personal reasons, while understandable in a petty way, it is terribly shortsighted for Teamsters everywhere. After all, Zuckerman is a popular leader, and if you want the Teamsters to be stronger, it is wise to bring popular leaders under the big tent, if your priority is strengthen the whole ship, even if you don't get along with them. It probably would have also given Hoffa a little wind with the people, like me, who aren't fans of his.

But it is obvious Hoffa isn't that type of man. Apparently, he is more concerned with saving face and his man pride than the betterment of the Teamsters. What that means for our upcoming contract remains to be seen. But whatever the truth is, it doesn't leave me with much confidence. Al Gudim is a strong UPS guy. He's no dummy, and he needs to have a strong adversary on our side. And from what I've heard, Taylor isn't that guy.