Hoffa-Hall Have Pollsters Ask if Healthcare Should be Renegotiated

hyena

They did. We had a whole month where members could submit contract proposals but the healthcare issue didn't come up until negotiations started. Then we had meetings where we explained what was going on, conference calls, handed out fliers & stickers etc. Members were free to voice their opinions at any of those times & pretty much any other time via phone, email, snail mail, or even that anachronism: Face to Face conversation.
The healthcare issue didn't come up because Hall was manipulating everyone into believing we would keep our current benefits, and would not be paying 90 dollars 9 dollars or 9 cents

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's more pathetic that the IBT would hire someone to ask questions since they couldn't do it themselves.

What a waste of money.

If IBT asked the questions and you or TOS did not agree with the conclusions, you would be saying they cheated and so on.

​That is a really good reason to have a 3rd party ask the questions.

oldupsman

Ill take Team(crap)care If Hoffa and Hall both quit right now!!!

No thanks. I want nothing to do with Teamcare. This is Hoffa/Hall teams last hurrah anyway. Which makes this all the more interesting.
Do they want to go out being remembered as the guys who totally screwed up 17 supplements and tried to force those supplements down their members
throat or the guys who saw how unhappy their members were and fixed the problem. This is going to be their legacy.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
The healthcare issue didn't come up because Hall was manipulating everyone into believing we would keep our current benefits, and would not be paying 90 dollars 9 dollars or 9 cents

Your timeline is wrong. UPS dropped the HC bomb at the table well after proposals. Hall was doing his job, negotiating; and the grandstanding about no paycheck deduction was to try and gain leverage (we didn't give him enough). UPS wants out of the HC business. Personally, I'll take a deductible I most likely won't have to pay vs. a weekly deduction I pay no matter what. $90*12 is a hell of a lot more than $400.

kingOFchester

Personally, I'll take a deductible I most likely won't have to pay vs. a weekly deduction I pay no matter what. $90*12 is a hell of a lot more than $400.

There is more out of pocket expense then just the $400.00 deductible.

I would rather loose my left foot then my right. But I prefer to keep both.

rudy5150

how could a part timer afford 90 a week? Who would even want to work at ups? they are having trouble finding workers now for the slave labor

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
how could a part timer afford 90 a week? Who would even want to work at ups? they are having trouble finding workers now for the slave labor

LOL, you really believe there'd be a mass exodus? Really?

- $30/$60/$90 was always negotiable, but even at those rates, the insurance is significantly cheaper for the level of coverage than one could get on the open market. Those here merely for the insurance wouldn't like it, but few would quit.

- The under 26 crowd -- the heart of the PT workforce -- is here because UPS pays more (and is a "cooler" job) than Target or Hollister, without the requirement of working weekends. Few are here for the insurance, and most would simply refuse it.

- It'd force a handful of those here in hopes of a FT job to quit, but there's plenty more to go around.

- It'd sting the career PTers, but it's still cheaper than what most jobs charge for insurance, and those jobs don't pay $20+/hour. Few of these PTers would go anywhere.

- - - - - - -

If UPS was successful in charging for insurance, it'd have minimal impact on its staffing. In fact, UPS would love it if those here for the insurance as well as career PTers (these are generally synonymous) would quit, but few would. Most UPS facilities have the luxury of cutting staffing and working incumbent employees longer hours.

And honestly, if you consider UPS to be "slave labor" -- a repeated theme throughout your postings -- then quit. It's a free country and you have the right to work (or not to) anywhere you please. If you're not happy here, nothing's forcing you to stay.

kingOFchester

Hoffa has sent an open letter to Obama. Union Letter: Obamacare Will ‘Destroy The Very Health and Wellbeing’ of Workers - Corporate Intelligence - WSJ

"And finally, even though non-profit plans like ours won’t receive the same subsidies as for-profit plans, they’ll be taxed to pay for those subsidies. Taken together, these restrictions will make non-profit plans like ours unsustainable, and will undermine the health-care market of viable alternatives to the big health insurance companies."

And I am suppose to be excited to join the Teamcare???? friend' that. Hoffa himself is saying that as the current law is written, that the Teamcare is "unsustainable".

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Hoffa has sent an open letter to Obama. Union Letter: Obamacare Will ‘Destroy The Very Health and Wellbeing’ of Workers - Corporate Intelligence - WSJ

"And finally, even though non-profit plans like ours won’t receive the same subsidies as for-profit plans, they’ll be taxed to pay for those subsidies. Taken together, these restrictions will make non-profit plans like ours unsustainable, and will undermine the health-care market of viable alternatives to the big health insurance companies."

And I am suppose to be excited to join the Teamcare???? friend' that. Hoffa himself is saying that as the current law is written, that the Teamcare is "unsustainable".

Your pension plan is also unsustainable.

kingOFchester

Your pension plan is also unsustainable.

I know. I don't want a pension. I don't want social security. Allow me to invest that money being taken from me weekly for my future. Unfortunately, most people do not have the discipline nor the desire to invest in their retirement.

I am squirreling away enough money so that I can do without SS and Pension. If it is there when I retire, it will be a nice bonus.

Yes, I may not have the largest house, best clothes, newest gadgets, highest quality meals and all the luxuries that I can afford......but what I do have is peace of mind. That leaves very little weight on the shoulders.

Last edited:

preload1

Hello Hoffa and Hall! Newsflash! UPS continues to have record profits year after year off OUR BACKS!!!!! Why in the world would the Teamsters concede anything in this contract? Stop cutting deals with UPS do your job and fight for working class people in this country!

As soon as you obama-loving teamsters start paying your fair share of the productivity goals set by your employer things will get better. Until then either suck it up or find another job.