How can we protect future UPS workers?

oldngray

nowhere special
Those driving schools really don't prepare people for the real world. They help a little but could be taught much quicker in the center. Learn DIAD and get out on the road is the quickest way. Its cruel to force them to sink or swim but to be able to cut it in real world they have to be able to handle the pressure.

ups1990

My point excatly! These young guys are coming in with no air driving experience. They don't have a clue on how to use the DIAD. You add the workload and the On road sup giving them hell. It's no reason many of them are failing or quitting. Lets give them a reasonable chances to pass. I agree that some people either have what it takes or dont and no amount of schooling will make them a decent driver.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
My point excatly! These young guys are coming in with no air driving experience. They don't have a clue on how to use the DIAD. You add the workload and the On road sup giving them hell. It's no reason many of them are failing or quitting. Lets give them a reasonable chances to pass. I agree that some people either have what it takes or dont and no amount of schooling will make them a decent driver.
My suggestion: proactively recruit pters in your building/Local to peak season driver helper.
  • exposes them to the real world workload of parcel peddling
  • basic DIAD skills
  • promote Union solidarity

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My suggestion: proactively recruit pters in your building/Local to peak season driver helper.
  • exposes them to the real world workload of parcel peddling
  • basic DIAD skills
  • promote Union solidarity

This is one reason I make sure my Peak helpers become very familiar with the DIAD. Yes, it makes my Peak run smoother, but it also gives them an edge on other new hires when they start driving.

My helper from this past Peak was in his 30 days of qualifying. All reports that I heard was that he was doing very well. The on-cars were impressed with his use of the DIAD. Now, you may have noticed I said "was". Two Fridays ago he had an accident backing his PC in to his spot. He was DQ'd. Turns out he was having problems backing on area. I have a feeling they will bring him back in time for Peak.

PT Car Washer

Those driving schools really don't prepare people for the real world. They help a little but could be taught much quicker in the center. Learn DIAD and get out on the road is the quickest way. Its cruel to force them to sink or swim but to be able to cut it in real world they have to be able to handle the pressure.
This is why I tell all the PTers wanting to go driving to get some experience driving on Saturday. Not very many listen as they think all they have to have is seniority and that UPS will teach them the job.

PT Car Washer

This is one reason I make sure my Peak helpers become very familiar with the DIAD. Yes, it makes my Peak run smoother, but it also gives them an edge on other new hires when they start driving.

My helper from this past Peak was in his 30 days of qualifying. All reports that I heard was that he was doing very well. The on-cars were impressed with his use of the DIAD. Now, you may have noticed I said "was". Two Fridays ago he had an accident backing his PC in to his spot. He was DQ'd. Turns out he was having problems backing on area. I have a feeling they will bring him back in time for Peak.
One of our preloaders starting his 3rd day alone hit the overhead door exiting the building.