How does new employee vacation days work?

Ant12

I know after a year you get personal days, sick days and a week vacation and all that. I also know they pay you. But I got hired in like early November and I plan to vacation this summer. By that time I will be at the company for like about 7-8 months. If I want to take a week off in the summer for vacation I know it won't be payed for since I won't even be here for a year yet. So how do vacation days work for employees who haven't been with the company for a year yet?

Last edited:

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I know after a year you get personal days, sick days and a week vacation and all that. I also know they pay you. But I got hired in like early November and I plan to vacation this summer. By that time I will be at the company for like about 7-8 months. If I want to take a week off in the summer for vacation I know it won't be payed a action since I won't even be here for a year yet. So how do vacation days work for employees who haven't been with the company for a year yet?

Your seniority date is probably January. You probably going to have to wait until January.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I know after a year you get personal days, sick days and a week vacation and all that. I also know they pay you. But I got hired in like early November and I plan to vacation this summer. By that time I will be at the company for like about 7-8 months. If I want to take a week off in the summer for vacation I know it won't be payed for since I won't even be here for a year yet. So how do vacation days work for employees who haven't been with the company for a year yet?
You plan to vacation this summer? Good luck with that....better rethink your plan! You will be needed to cover employees with seniority who are taking their vacations during the summer.

You have to wait a year. You can try to make a deal with your boss.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You can take vacation this summer. You'll just have to find a new job when you return.

You could maybe talk to your sups and tell them you had a vacation planned. They may be nice and say ok. Very thin line though.

UPSGUY72

[quote

The way vacation is picked differs by Area in my area Vacation are picked in March for the vacation Year running May 1. to April 30. You have had to work for the company 1 year in order to pick 1 week vacation and have worked at least 135 hrs that year. In other area vacation is picked through out the year by seniority however I would guess that you still have had to work for UPS 1 year before you get one...

You are most likely SOL on taking vacation this summer. Well you could ask your management team to take and unpaid week off but I don't see that happening. You could also just call in but you probably wouldn't have a job after that week.... So suck it up like everyone else did there first year and deal with not taking a vacation.....

Ant12

[quote

The way vacation is picked differs by Area in my area Vacation are picked in March for the vacation Year running May 1. to April 30. You have had to work for the company 1 year in order to pick 1 week vacation and have worked at least 135 hrs that year. In other area vacation is picked through out the year by seniority however I would guess that you still have had to work for UPS 1 year before you get one...

You are most likely SOL on taking vacation this summer. Well you could ask your management team to take and unpaid week off but I don't see that happening. You could also just call in but you probably wouldn't have a job after that week.... So suck it up like everyone else did there first year and deal with not taking a vacation.....
Alright :/

Cementups

Box Monkey
And if you started in November then that is when your anniversary date should be based off of. You just didn't actually make seniority until after your 30 days into the new year.

blkmamba

You should ask your lead sup. I was able to get two weeks unpaid time off before I hit a year because I was getting married and I asked four months in advance. All they can do is say no.

Rawrzxor

And if you started in November then that is when your anniversary date should be based off of. You just didn't actually make seniority until after your 30 days into the new year.

So, techically, you have to have worked at UPS for a year *and a month* before you get a week of vacation. Well, that mislead is upsetting, since my *anniversary* date was Jan. 27th... :censored2:. Not counting the 3 months I worked as a driver helper, before going to load. -_- Damn near year and a half. :O

For absolute clarity and mitigating any remaining false hope: I won't have a week of vacation until the 27th this month? And, we don't get option or sick days until year 2, if I was told correctly?

Incidentally-ish, do people usually take their vacation all at once or split it up throughout the year? Rather, for only one week of vacation, would it be better to just take all of it at once or split it up? My thinking is that if one could use them as option days, then they'd be better spent split up, but not even one day a month is kinda lame. Lame, relative to that amount of vacation--I've never had vacation, so anything is awesome.

One more thing: How does UPS classify 'a week'? Attempting to spare myself *yet more* false hope, is it 5 days or 7 days?

Then again, I really should take it in the soul-crushing, body - annihilating, mind-immolating Texas summer...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So, techically, you have to have worked at UPS for a year *and a mo th* before you get a week of vacation. Well, that mislead is upsetting, since my *anniversary* date was Jan. 27th... :censored2:. Not counting the 3 months I worked as a driver helper, before going to load. -_- Damn near year and a half. :O

For a bsolute clarity and mitigating any remaining false hope: I won't have a week of vacation until the 27th this month? And, we don't get option or sick days until year 2, if I was told correctly?

Incidentally-ish, do people usually take their vacation all at once or split it up throughout the year? Rather, for only one week of vacation, would it be better to just take all of it at once or split it up? My thinking is that if one could use them as option days, then they'd be better spent split up, but not even one day a month is kinda lame. Lame, relative to that amount of vacation--I've never had vacation, so anything is awesome.

One more thing: How does UPS classify 'a week'? Attempting to spare myself *yet more* false hope, is it 5 days or 7 days?

Then again, I really should take it in the soul-crushing, body - annihilating, mind-immolating Texas summer...
Vacation weeks are taken in week blocks...no splitting them up..as far as I know. And you choose weeks off in seniority order. Your total available vacation time is listed on your paystub....if you have any.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
So, techically, you have to have worked at UPS for a year *and a month* before you get a week of vacation. Well, that mislead is upsetting, since my *anniversary* date was Jan. 27th... :censored2:. Not counting the 3 months I worked as a driver helper, before going to load. -_- Damn near year and a half. :O

For absolute clarity and mitigating any remaining false hope: I won't have a week of vacation until the 27th this month? And, we don't get option or sick days until year 2, if I was told correctly?

If you start working on Feb 3rd, that's your anniversary date. Once you make your seniority, it reverts to that date.

Vacation weeks CAN be split up once you have AT LEAST 3 weeks of eligible vacation to take. You can take them as vacation days.

In UPS' terms for vacation, a week is one weeks worth of shifts. For inside workers and delivery drivers, it's 5 days. For feeder drivers, it's 7 days (technically), but we're still only paid the same amount of hours, which are based off of 5 days.

TheKid

There is no way you are getting a summer vacation