How Does the UPS Part-Timer Compensation stack up

JL 0513

Because their health care benefits no longer meet the minimum requirements. Employees can receive better health care benefits at a lower cost through the Affordable Care Act. At least when they get the computer problems solved.

LOL. You haven't noticed that the Unaffordable Care Act has caused premiums to skyrocket right out of the gate? Deductibles are now astronomical as well ($8,000 deductible is an example). Most young people had fine coverage, often through college. Now, they're going to go broke paying far more for grandma and grandpa, typically who have much more wealth.

Oh Jezzus, here we go....

Cite where I'm wrong.

cynic

When the UPS part-timers total compensation is considered, how well do they stack up against other part-time employees in the US?
Wages
Healthcare
Vacations
​Pension

Wages to start are a bit low and your weekly income will vary based on the volume but there is a known progression and you don't have to deal with annual performance review BS.
Healthcare is without comparison. I've worked this job for over 8 years because of how much it saves me in premiums and deductibles from the family plan offered by my day job, as well as how comprehensive the healthcare coverage is.
Vacation time is generous, the issue for someone with a full-time day job is that I have to bid my vacation months in advance. Typically my vacation at UPS only means I get to sleep a full night.
Pension is something I don't believe I'll get a lot from as I'm over 50 so I max out on my 401K contributions.

If the healthcare were to have a premium, increase in co-pays or deductibles, I'd quit. To me the healthcare is the only thing that makes the PT job at UPS worth getting up in the middle of the night and "humping cardboard". TM by bleedingbrown58 LOL

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
LOL. You haven't noticed that the Unaffordable Care Act has caused premiums to skyrocket right out of the gate? Deductibles are now astronomical as well ($8,000 deductible is an example). Most young people had fine coverage, often through college. Now, they're going to go broke paying far more for grandma and grandpa, typically who have much more wealth.

​And we appreciate it ... where's my cane?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Wages to start are a bit low and your weekly income will vary based on the volume but there is a known progression and you don't have to deal with annual performance review BS.
Healthcare is without comparison. I've worked this job for over 8 years because of how much it saves me in premiums and deductibles from the family plan offered by my day job, as well as how comprehensive the healthcare coverage is.
Vacation time is generous, the issue for someone with a full-time day job is that I have to bid my vacation months in advance. Typically my vacation at UPS only means I get to sleep a full night.
Pension is something I don't believe I'll get a lot from as I'm over 50 so I max out on my 401K contributions.

If the healthcare were to have a premium, increase in co-pays or deductibles, I'd quit. To me the healthcare is the only thing that makes the PT job at UPS worth getting up in the middle of the night and "humping cardboard".

Loyal Teamster

When the UPS part-timers total compensation is considered, how well do they stack up against other part-time employees in the US?
Wages
Healthcare
Vacations
​Pension

I quit UPS a few months ago, and I make more income than with UPS. Yes UPS offers healthcare, but i would have probably never use it.I make more money with about 1/5 of physical effort compared to UPS preloading.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster
:onitswaysmiley:

Loyal Teamster

Wages
Healthcare
Vacations
​Pension

Job Location: San Diego, CA

UPS is hiring individuals to work as part-time Package Handlers. This is a physical, fast-paced position that involves continual lifting, lowering and sliding packages that typically weigh 25 - 35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs. Part-time employees usually work 3 ½ - 4 hours each weekday (Monday through Friday) and typically do not work on weekends or selected holidays.

Package Handlers receive a competitive hourly rate and also an attractive benefits package. Please note that these opportunities are part-time only working approximately 17 1/2 – 20 hours per week. Employees can expect to take home between $110.00 and $150.00 each week after deductions have been taken for taxes, etc.(not included is the $16 union dues & $30 initiation fee.)

Job ID: CASDI1
UPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer

apply

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Cite where I'm wrong.

Part time workers have been skyrocketing since the late eighties. I love the thinking that if we just left big business to it's own devices, that it would do right by everyone and not cut everything to the bone.

Cite where you're wrong? How about you cite specific examples of what you're saying. What insurance company raised their deductibles to $8000 because of the ACA? What examples can you give that premiums have skyrocketed as a result of ACA? College students got their healthcare extended to the age of 26 BECAUSE of the ACA. And you mention tons of companies have pushed their workers to under 30 hours a week because of the ACA. Please cite which companies you are referring to.

JL 0513

Part time workers have been skyrocketing since the late eighties. I love the thinking that if we just left big business to it's own devices, that it would do right by everyone and not cut everything to the bone.

Cite where you're wrong? How about you cite specific examples of what you're saying. What insurance company raised their deductibles to $8000 because of the ACA? What examples can you give that premiums have skyrocketed as a result of ACA? College students got their healthcare extended to the age of 26 BECAUSE of the ACA. And you mention tons of companies have pushed their workers to under 30 hours a week because of the ACA. Please cite which companies you are referring to.

You are completely misinformed/in the dark if you are unaware of what is going on. Even CNN which, until now, bowed to Obama's feet and didn't report anything negative for his first 5 years has come out with these examples in a report this week. I'm too lazy at 10:30 at night to gather a bunch of links but you should research when you get a chance. The facts are everywhere.

Didn't mean to start this debate here. There's a thread on the ACA on here to debate it.

PT Car Washer

You are completely misinformed/in the dark if you are unaware of what is going on. Even CNN which, until now, bowed to Obama's feet and didn't report anything negative for his first 5 years has come out with these examples in a report this week. I'm too lazy at 10:30 at night to gather a bunch of links but you should research when you get a chance. The facts are everywhere.

Didn't mean to start this debate here. There's a thread on the ACA on here to debate it.
What do you have against everyone having decent health care? Where is the evil?

JL 0513

What do you have against everyone having decent health care? Where is the evil?

I'm against the Unaffordable Care Act because it will destroy the best health care system in the world, America's. You really think everyone is going to get great care now? Conservatives are fighting to save our health care. Liberals think they are, but look at all of world history. Healthcare sucks in most countries that have single payer. That's why many come here for treatment paying out of pocket. Wait times can be up to years for procedures. And if they see that you're over life expectancy, they determine that certain procedures aren't approved (knee replacement, for example). In America, you can get a knee replacement almost immediately.

Where does this confidence in government come from? The private sector does everything better and more efficiently than government yet we think the government is somehow going to make healthcare more affordable and better? How is it possible to believe that?

If it wasn't true, wouldn't the USPS be making billions and UPS losing billions per year? Well, the opposite is true. Public vs Private.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm against the Unaffordable Care Act because it will destroy the best health care system in the world, America's. You really think everyone is going to get great care now? Conservatives are fighting to save our health care. Liberals think they are, but look at all of world history. Healthcare sucks in most countries that have single payer. That's why many come here for treatment paying out of pocket. Wait times can be up to years for procedures. And if they see that you're over life expectancy, they determine that certain procedures aren't approved (knee replacement, for example). In America, you can get a knee replacement almost immediately.

Where does this confidence in government come from? The private sector does everything better and more efficiently than government yet we think the government is somehow going to make healthcare more affordable and better? How is it possible to believe that?

If it wasn't true, wouldn't the USPS be making billions and UPS losing billions per year? Well, the opposite is true. Public vs Private.

Go talk to some Veterans about the quality of their Healthcare.

It's not about having good Healthcare, it's about dragging down those with good Healthcare to the poor quality of those who have to get their Healthcare through the government. Medicare is about as bad but as least you are retired and can sit around a doctor's office for 5 or 6 hours.