How is it determine which PT employees get offered a management position?

Magpie

I assumed since I was part of a union that management would be offered based on seniority. But I've been at UPS for just shy of two years now and I've watched multiple people that have been here less than a year become supervisors before me. I've told the boss that I plan to stick around for years and that I'd like a supervisor position, but he just seems to ignore that. So if it's not offered based on seniority, then how does one obtain a supervisor position?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I’ve seen 2 employees apply for a PT Sup position around the same time. One had been there less than a year, one for several years. They took the kid with less seniority because he was in college and a semester away from earning his bachelor’s degree.

Stop expecting someone to offer you a position and figure out where/how you can apply for one.

Magpie

Only one of the supervisors here is attending/has attended college and they've all mentioned that the boss approached them when I've asked them the same question as the original post. So unless your boss explicitly said it was because of the degree, I think it was probably just a coincidence.

Edit: and I am attending a college, but I'm planning for a masters. Hence why I plan to be at UPS for a while

542thruNthru

I assumed since I was part of a union that management would be offered based on seniority. But I've been at UPS for just shy of two years now and I've watched multiple people that have been here less than a year become supervisors before me. I've told the boss that I plan to stick around for years and that I'd like a supervisor position, but he just seems to ignore that. So if it's not offered based on seniority, then how does one obtain a supervisor position?
They're doing you a favor.

First thing is a PT supervisor is not a management position. You are nothing more then a glorified hourly expected to fill in at any position at any time with no complaints. That is the reality of your situation and you will be in that position until you wise up and move on. Most PT sups are offered the position in the first month of working as a PT hourly. Of course you can apply at any time.

Only one of the supervisors here is attending/has attended college and they've all mentioned that the boss approached them when I've asked them the same question as the original post. So unless your boss explicitly said it was because of the degree, I think it was probably just a coincidence.
We have PT sups still in high school and others who dropped out of HS and have a GED. Of course they will never be promoted to a FT sup position.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Edit: and I am attending a college, but I'm planning for a masters. Hence why I plan to be at UPS for a while
They flat out told the guy who didn’t get the PT sup position that it was because he didn’t have a degree. Regardless, why are you asking strangers on the internet about a job? Go apply for it if that’s what you want. Understand if you get it, you are no longer in the union.

Magpie

Unless you are an excellent hourly worker. Then you will stay in the unload or load forever.
I like to think I'm excellent. But this is the internet so it doesn't really mean anything without proof.

Keep an eye on the bid board and make sure you are signing all the PT Supervisor bids.
I'll keep an eye on the bids. I don't think I've ever seen one for a supe position. It doesn't hurt to check when I come in for work though.

I like to think I'm excellent. But this is the internet so it doesn't really mean anything without proof.

I'll keep an eye on the bids. I don't think I've ever seen one for a supe position. It doesn't hurt to check when I come in for work though.
I have never seen a management position bid either. I heard they used to send out letters if anyone was interest in the position. I never received one but is what I heard.

Hot Carl

First thing is a PT supervisor is not a management position. You are nothing more then a glorified hourly expected to fill in at any position at any time with no complaints. That is the reality of your situation and you will be in that position until you wise up and move on. Most PT sups are offered the position in the first month of working as a PT hourly. Of course you can apply at any time.
Yup. They asked me if I’d be interested right after I started preload and then again right before I started driving a couple years later. Promptly turned it down both times. I have told anyone who will listen that the only way that job is worth it is if you know that UPS is not in your long-term plans and you’re just looking for a résumé booster, which seems to be the case for most of them including the girl who used to load my truck. They all eventually either find something better and quit or get fired.

The job is a revolving door for a reason.

Mr. Marshall

We have been hiring PT supervisors off the street or turning people that hurt themselves as seasonals into pt supervisors. Years ago I actually heard management when talking about my newish hire preloader that they didn't think she had what it took to make it as a preloader so maybe she could be a pt supervisor. She was a preload supervisor for a year or two after literally failing at the job in the same center.

It's not an earned position that's for sure. I mean most people who do it just think they are avoiding doing labor but then most end up having to do some labor and getting yelled at by both sides for it.

Mr. Marshall

My guess is either you are a good employee and wants to keep you working or he doesn't think you are smart enough to handle the paperwork. If you really want the position I believe there is more than just saying you are interested. You have to submit a letter and pass some sort of test first. Some pretty dumb people pass it so it can't be that hard.

Also, how have you been there two years and not realize that seniority has nothing to do with it and that they don't post pt supervisor positions on the bid board?

summersaltstains

I was talked to about becoming a part time sup on my second day working the preload. I could have figured out from the desperation of that alone that it’s a bad deal, but I was lucky enough to have a retired management person in my extended family who told me to stay hourly.

nWo

The PT sup position is the lowest position in the building.

We have 20 year pt sups in our building still chasing that ft management carrot. Very few will get promoted to ft.