How is it determine which PT employees get offered a management position?

dudebro

It's not a promotion. It's just two separate divisions in the same company. Can you be "promoted" to a driver or mechanic or porter as a PT sup? No you have to be hired as a "off the street" hire. You're essentially applying for a whole other job when you put your letter of intent in to become a PT sup.

You literally went for the lowest position in one division to the lowest position of the other.
I agree that you're applying for the bottom rung of a different career track, but even though PT package handler and PT supervisor are the lowest position of both career tracks, in the PT package handler position you're only responsible for yourself. The PT supervisor is responsible for communication and coordination of a group of people outside of him/herself. Based on the greater responsibility I'd say it was a promotion.

I assumed since I was part of a union that management would be offered based on seniority. But I've been at UPS for just shy of two years now and I've watched multiple people that have been here less than a year become supervisors before me. I've told the boss that I plan to stick around for years and that I'd like a supervisor position, but he just seems to ignore that. So if it's not offered based on seniority, then how does one obtain a supervisor position?
Why would you wanna go into management?

Fuzzy Brown

I assumed since I was part of a union that management would be offered based on seniority. But I've been at UPS for just shy of two years now and I've watched multiple people that have been here less than a year become supervisors before me. I've told the boss that I plan to stick around for years and that I'd like a supervisor position, but he just seems to ignore that. So if it's not offered based on seniority, then how does one obtain a supervisor position?
The requirements for being a supervisor are low, if you can fog a mirror they’ll take you.
No offense but if they’re aware of your desire to be in management and are passing you over you must be a real basket case.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
I agree that you're applying for the bottom rung of a different career track, but even though PT package handler and PT supervisor are the lowest position of both career tracks, in the PT package handler position you're only responsible for yourself. The PT supervisor is responsible for communication and coordination of a group of people outside of him/herself. Based on the greater responsibility I'd say it was a promotion.
Losing your job security, no raise, and a guarantee you’ll even become anything higher is not a promotion. Pt package handler has much going for them.

It's not a promotion. It's just two separate divisions in the same company. Can you be "promoted" to a driver or mechanic or porter as a PT sup? No you have to be hired as a "off the street" hire. You're essentially applying for a whole other job when you put your letter of intent in to become a PT sup.

You literally went for the lowest position in one division to the lowest position of the other.

It’s always the same story with those guys. “I was the fastest loader, unloaded, or sorter and management approached me”.

RMR46

Be able to sign your name in script cursive or whatever you want to call it. And be able to print your name under it and you fit the profile for a management position.

clean hairy

You just have to fill out a Letter of Intent and apply for it. There used to be some kind of test involved. I used to get a letter in the mail on the first of every year asking to apply for it, I never thought it was worth it once I went full-time. Management experience on a resume does look good if you want to work somewhere else.
Isn't there a short video been posted of the test for supervisor?

nWo

We had a center manager that would grade the spelling and grammar in the essay then make them resubmit it.

Drink Craft Beer

There's a female loader at my building who lasted about 2mos. then quit due to getting her ass chewed out one morning by a driver sup. Guess she broke down and started crying.

Three mos. later I come into work, see her and was like WTF? Said that management called and offered her a PT sup position.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
There's a female loader at my building who lasted about 2mos. then quit due to getting her ass chewed out one morning by a driver sup. Guess she broke down and started crying.

Three mos. later I come into work, see her and was like WTF? Said that management called and offered her a PT sup position.
She’s perfect

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd

Must be a masochist.

nancyg

If you become a manager you are no longer a union employee. Don't' do it.

LetsGoBuffalo

I would encourage you to consider taking some classes, and bettering yourself so you can climb that ladder. Being able to go into an interview saying that you took the initiative to learn management skills would be a plus. Best of luck!